B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

'99 Audi A4 build

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 04:01 PM
1st Gear
Default pictures pictures pictures

ok so i promised pics, here they are, first the wreak damage.

crappy welds done by an amature

they tried and failed to bend this back to straight, i used a come along and got it a little closer

this must have been damaged in the crash too, whoever did this was not too smart.

buch of tabs and stuff were busted off, all the places to bolt the headlight are broken off, had a time getting the new light in on this side

and this is the main reason he is going to be buying the front mount intercooler for it, has 3 tubes completly piched shut.

and now for the exhaust pics, for some reason all the pics of the turbo and tip are not showing up on my phone.

the exhaust fit pretty well, and it sounds great, very low deep tone, not too much noise, only gets the slightest bit loud past 4500 rpm. the only trouble with install was where it bolts to the cat. its a pretty tight fit and because of the larger diameter its hard to get to one of the nuts.

Old 06-04-2012, 04:26 PM
1st Gear

so when this car came to me for help it wouldnt even get on the freeway at anything over 55mph, and thats if it was on a fairly flat onramp, or better yet down hill. it had numerous leaks, mostly the power steering pump, that was due to a pinched cooler line creating too much pressure on the return side, i made a new one with a 48 inch piece of 3/8" fuel line that was flared out just a bit with my flare fitting kit. there was also a crack in the oil pan that i had to jb weld shut. and a bunch of coolant leaks, coming from the water pump, both metal coolant lines where the hoses hooked up, and both of the lines that go to the oil cooler. now the car has a new timing belt,water pump, power steering pump, new RP Ko4 turbo, evo race works TIP, and xs powersports exhaust. and most importantly no leaks! the turbo spools at 2400 and the car starts pulling pretty nice, will hit 80 on just about any onramp, and pulls pretty smothly all the way to 6000 rpms. it was about a second slower than my civic when we raced last night but the guy is so happy with it the only thig he plans on doing in the near future is the front mount intercooler. the tune may come later but im pretty sure hes not going to want to build the motor and run the t3. i had some problems after start up and also one after the guy had already left for the beach. after startup there was coolant leak after coolant leak, every time i fixed one another would pop up, and the last one threw me for a loop as it looked like it was coming from the coolant drain line on the turbo, but was actually coming from the plug on the turbo that was pre installed. after the guy left for home the banjo bolt came loose on the ps pump. thats the last time i go by what the tag on the pump says for torque specs. he had to drive it back 60 miles for me to fix it and re bleed the air out of the lines, luckily the pump wasnt making any noise after all the air was out of it.

Old 06-04-2012, 05:29 PM
Administrator

Looks like a lot of work in a short time - nice job. If he's doing the FMIC that's good, but with all the other mods he would do well to upgrade the injectors as well and get a K04-related tune for the ECU and take full advantage of the stuff on the car. Once the FMIC is in, all he really needs is injectors to run the K04 tune and the car will really wake up and take advantage of the turbo that's in there.

Old 06-04-2012, 06:24 PM
1st Gear

yeah, ill see what the duty cycle is after the fmic, and check the afr, if the duty cycle is below 80% at wot 6000rpms ill leave the stock injectors. anyone know what size the stockers are?

Old 06-04-2012, 06:35 PM
Administrator

It doesn't work that way. The K04 file is coded for larger injectors so they'd be necessary to run it or your fueling would be completely screwed up.

Old 06-05-2012, 12:45 AM
1st Gear

i was told by the tuner that he can adjust for injector size, so whatever size is needed is what will go in, if the duty cycle dosent get above 80% then its not really needed, particularly scince there are no plans for this car to be a track car. supposedly this guy built his own software with help from someone who used to work for vw in germany.

but this will all be atleast a few months down the road scince i just emptied my friends pockets with this part of the build, and still have the A/C to do, then fixing all the damage and giving the cooling system a going thru, need to replace all the rusted out stuff and put new hoses on everything. the fmic will mostlikely be at the same time as replacing the core support, fender and bumper, but i think that he wants the a/c done next.

Old 06-05-2012, 05:51 AM
Administrator

If that's the route you are dead-set on going, then it's your choice. You're kind of going through the rectum to pull a tooth though, as basically you want a 14.0 car but are insisting on building a custom tune for it, even though the files are already there, off-the-shelf and ready, which will run the car with no problems whatsoever. If this was a custom build using special parts, then the dyno tune might be necessary, but for the stuff that's on this engine, there's no real reason to go to that hassle/time/cost/expense for a ******* K04, when with one phone call the ECU can be flashed and ready for the car to roll.

Old 06-05-2012, 09:44 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by ImTheDevil
If that's the route you are dead-set on going, then it's your choice. You're kind of going through the rectum to pull a tooth though, as basically you want a 14.0 car but are insisting on building a custom tune for it, even though the files are already there, off-the-shelf and ready, which will run the car with no problems whatsoever. If this was a custom build using special parts, then the dyno tune might be necessary, but for the stuff that's on this engine, there's no real reason to go to that hassle/time/cost/expense for a ******* K04, when with one phone call the ECU can be flashed and ready for the car to roll.
Couldnt agree more. A k04 tune plus injectors can be had for $450 if you search the classifieds. Doing a custom dyno tune is going to cost you at LEAST double that. Without running the proper tune and injectors the car isnt going to feel any different than a k03.

Old 06-05-2012, 02:42 PM
1st Gear

wow, 450 for the flash? thats not too bad, when i was looking around this area cheapest i could find it was 575. but apparently hes willing to give me a hookup scince he said 375 for the tune. i guess he must like his daughters boyfriend scince thats who set me up with the guys number and told him i would be calling. i was supprised when he quoted me that low a number as any other time i have had a car dyno tuned it was minimum of 750. usually do my own tuning, but dont really do enough VWs or audis to invest in the stuff to do it.

ill start in again on this thread when the next stage of the build comes. thanks for your input guys.

Old 06-05-2012, 05:51 PM
Administrator

Keep us up to speed for sure. However, getting the tune requires no dyno. A K04 tune is an off-the-shelf file that requires no dyno. The only hardware you are lacking is the FMIC and bigger injectors. Contact APR or Giac and ask what options for injectors they have on a K04 file, choose the ones you want, and install them along with the IC. Send in the ECU, they'll reprogram it, and mail it back. You reinstall it and you're done, simple as that.