B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

'99 Audi A4 build

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 08:06 AM
Administrator

I find that hard to believe but I'll take your word for it. You're also gonna need a new manifold for that turbo, as the stock mani is flanged for K03/04 3-bolt hot sides.

Old 06-02-2012, 08:47 AM
Administrator

Agreed - your choice of turbo is very popular in the JSpec world but it's going to take a decent amount of custom fabrication (and possibly a unique dyno tune, or at least a tune for a turbo somewhat near its properties, augmented with piggyback controllers) to use it. I have experience with a T3 Super60 and it was a wicked little bastard but there's enough expense already associated with these cars that it makes a lot more sense to go with one that has the supporting parts already in existence.

Go into the TT subforum and read the sticky post by CincyTT about turbo sizing and selection. There's a wealth of info in there that correlates well with the A4. It'll help keep this project from becoming a complete pain in the ***. And you don't even need to go inside the head to run low 13s or high 12s on these cars - except for the turbo and cat, the breathing capability of a stock 1.8T is very, very good.

Old 06-02-2012, 01:51 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by CCA4
I find that hard to believe but I'll take your word for it. You're also gonna need a new manifold for that turbo, as the stock mani is flanged for K03/04 3-bolt hot sides.
duely noted, found one for 185. says it even clears a t3/to4b wich is the smaller compressor housing of th hybrids, should be plenty of rrom for the t3

Originally Posted by ImTheDevil
Agreed - your choice of turbo is very popular in the JSpec world but it's going to take a decent amount of custom fabrication (and possibly a unique dyno tune, or at least a tune for a turbo somewhat near its properties, augmented with piggyback controllers) to use it. I have experience with a T3 Super60 and it was a wicked little bastard but there's enough expense already associated with these cars that it makes a lot more sense to go with one that has the supporting parts already in existence.

Go into the TT subforum and read the sticky post by CincyTT about turbo sizing and selection. There's a wealth of info in there that correlates well with the A4. It'll help keep this project from becoming a complete pain in the ***. And you don't even need to go inside the head to run low 13s or high 12s on these cars - except for the turbo and cat, the breathing capability of a stock 1.8T is very, very good.
i will do a bit more reading, but its an internally gated turbo with 2.5 in exh out and a 2 in compressor inlet 2.25 out so with different boots and maybe a little work on the TIP and a custom cat it shouldnt be too hard to hook up. as for tunning i was told that it can be done on the dyno with just flash software the tuner i found has. he said t3 wouldnt be a problem. sill hoping wont have to go that far. maybe ill run the stock map in my civic when we race, only runs a 15 with the stock map.

Last edited by oldcivicjoe; 06-02-2012 at 02:13 PM.
Old 06-02-2012, 02:11 PM
1st Gear

well pretty much all the upgrade parts are on, still have to put the bumper back on, and install the stereo and backup cam. unfortunatley the intake is the wong one. the mass airflow sensor dosent fit in the hole for it.
the turbo went on insanley easy, and the exhaust was nearly as easy to bolt up, just took a little wiggling to get it to fit perfect. the TIP wasnt so easy, had to reroute the lower rad hose, and going to have to get some hoses to make the check valve hookup. going to finish up today hopefully, then ill get pics and hopefully a video up.

Old 06-02-2012, 03:45 PM
Administrator

Now I'm confused. The lower radiator hose on the B5 is on the other side of the car than the turbo inlet

Old 06-03-2012, 03:11 AM
1st Gear

on this TIP the check valve was no where close to where it should have hooked up, had to use an elbow and a few extra pieces of hose. not impressed with the job evolution raceworks did designing this piece. it does however make the dv echo enough to hear it from inside the car when it blows off. there is one goal for the build completed atleast.
the exhaust sounds pretty sweet, and its still quiet durring normal driving, only starts to get a little bit on the loud side aound 4500 rpm with more than 60% throttle.
turbo spools at about 2400 rpm, wich i think is a little late, but once it starts spinning the boost builds pretty quick, it pretty much pulls in a nice even climb, i only took it to about 5000 before i let off.
still have a bunch of little bull **** to finish tomorrow, like the back up cam and running a switched pwr wire for the headunit, and wiring the head lights scince they have the wrong harness on them.

Old 06-03-2012, 03:12 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by CCA4
Now I'm confused. The lower radiator hose on the B5 is on the other side of the car than the turbo inlet
no it starts on the front right of the car and crosses over the top front of the motor, then goes down thru the metal line to another ruber hose that hooks to the thermo housing. it comes up infront of the stock turbo inlet boot, but you need to reroute it to behind for the steel TIP

Old 06-03-2012, 07:57 AM
Administrator

Gotcha, I know what hose you're on about now. When you said "lower radiator hose" I thought you were talkin about the one that comes out the bottom of the radiator and goes up to the coolant tank.

Old 06-03-2012, 11:12 AM
Tech Slut

Originally Posted by oldcivicjoe
na that t3 spools by 1400 on a d15b2 sohc honda
Im too lazy to read through all of this and put together any kind of legimate response, but this made me ROFL pretty hard. That motor in stock displacement would be lucky to have a t3s60 spooled by 4500.

Old 06-04-2012, 02:29 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by FASTER
Im too lazy to read through all of this and put together any kind of legimate response, but this made me ROFL pretty hard. That motor in stock displacement would be lucky to have a t3s60 spooled by 4500.
its stock displacement but has a custom cam grind with a wicked port on the head, and it dosent have the super 60 wheel in it, it has the .40 trim in it right now, that was where that setup had the best compromise between power and response for the short track stuff the guy uses the REX for. and i cant remember if it had the f1-54 turbine in it or the next step down, but it was a quick spooling bastard with the .48 ar housing on it.

Quick Reply: '99 Audi A4 build