B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

'99 Audi A4 build

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 01:30 AM
1st Gear

i started the tear down today, as soon as i pulled the headlights i found a cracked core support and some really crappy rigging work on the cooling system, the left fender has bondo all over it, and the bumper shocks have been collapsed and pulled back out. damn... well guess i have no choice but to continue with the tear down. pulled the bumper then the condenser and then the core support noticing the whole time that all the bolts and screws holding everything together are all different and obyoisly sourced from someones odds and ends jar. when the core support came off i found really bad welds on the left frame. and i havent measured yet but im pretty sure the frame is shorter by about 3/4 of an inch. about 3 hours in and im stuck in a nightmare, how did i get myself into this....

Old 05-31-2012, 01:54 AM
1st Gear

ouchh... that doesnt sound good... if i were you i would still continue tho... after all the hard work and effort it'll pay off in the end man... you'll be proud of what you built.

Old 05-31-2012, 02:48 AM
1st Gear

i always am, they are all my babies. from chevys to volkswagens. just sucks that now i need to track down a core support, left fender and a bumper. i ll get it back together and now atleast it wont have huge gaps between fenders hood and bumper. ill get pics of the damage up tomorrow. it was too dark for my phone to take any decent ones when i was done.

Old 06-01-2012, 01:54 AM
1st Gear

well the timing belt is done atleast, the new ps pump is in place, the old locked up turbo is off and the new one is ready to go on, just a bunch of little crap to button up before i can get the front end back together, unfortunately im going to have to put the cracked core support and the busted up bumper back on as he is out of money, guess ill be replacing all the tweaked stuff when he has the cash to do the front mount intercooler. i snapped a few pics but havent had the time to upload yet. if anyone has a core support or a left fender laying around let me know, it may be a couple months but im going to need them. no luck at any of the wreaking yards around here and im sure he isint going to want to pay dealer price on that.

Old 06-01-2012, 02:02 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by oldcivicjoe
well the timing belt is done atleast, the new ps pump is in place, the old locked up turbo is off and the new one is ready to go on, just a bunch of little crap to button up before i can get the front end back together, unfortunately im going to have to put the cracked core support and the busted up bumper back on as he is out of money, guess ill be replacing all the tweaked stuff when he has the cash to do the front mount intercooler. i snapped a few pics but havent had the time to upload yet. if anyone has a core support or a left fender laying around let me know, it may be a couple months but im going to need them. no luck at any of the wreaking yards around here and im sure he isint going to want to pay dealer price on that.
yea i wouldnt go to the dealer for those parts lol they would probably shoot your wallet with a 12 gauge... i guess ur gonna have to use the old one for now until you find one at the wrecker... cant wait to see those pics!

Old 06-01-2012, 02:18 AM
1st Gear

i cant wait to drive it, the turbo was completly frozen and oil was leaking into the compressor side, the timing belt had slipped, the cam was off 2 teeth, the dv was stuck open, had a small rock jammed in there and the line was off. and the exhaust is all rigged together with a mix of 2, 2.25 and 2.75 inch piping. with everything fixed it should atleast be aproaching quick is not fast. if i can get a video and sound to come out decent ill get one uploaded after its all together, i wanted to get a before video but was having problems with my phone and didnt have time to screw around with it.

Old 06-01-2012, 01:22 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by oldcivicjoe
any one know if larger valves and slightly higher c/r forged pistons are available for the 1.8t? if thats what it takes to make this thing decently quick i guess i need to start looking into it, ill most likely add the front mount intercooler and find a good tuner after this part of the build. but if that isint enough then i guess the motor needs to come out and be re-worked. maybe a port job with .5mm larger valves and a 3 angle valve job, a custom cam grind with my a-symetrical cam lobe designs to help the turbo spool faster, larger tb, a set of forged pistons with a nice balance on the bottom end, and c/r set around 9.5-9.7/1 if i can find the pistons for it. is there any free tuning software out there to tweak fuel and igniton maps or adjust for map sensor changes for these things?
Plenty of places to get engine parts from, but you shouldn't need them. You don't need rods,pistons, or any valve train work for a K04 build. The head on that car will flow more than enough. Only reason you'd need a valve job is if you plan on revving past 7500rpm, at which point a K04 is WAY out of breath anyway. The work you're talking about doing will cost at LEAST $5k in parts and labor. What's your ultimate goal here?

Old 06-01-2012, 05:59 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by CCA4
Plenty of places to get engine parts from, but you shouldn't need them. You don't need rods,pistons, or any valve train work for a K04 build. The head on that car will flow more than enough. Only reason you'd need a valve job is if you plan on revving past 7500rpm, at which point a K04 is WAY out of breath anyway. The work you're talking about doing will cost at LEAST $5k in parts and labor. What's your ultimate goal here?
the goal is for this thing is to beat my civic in the 1/4, my civic runs a 14.1. ive been told that a ko4 wont push this car to 14.1, so if needed ill run a turbonetics t3 with a f1 54 turbine, .68 ar housing and a 60 trim or super 60 compressor wheel. that turbo is enough to push a d16z6 to 12.8 so it should get this thing to 14.1. the reason ill use that turbo is that i have one laying around, along with 4 different turbines, 3 housings and 4 compressor wheels. the bottom end build would be to ensure reliability and longevity, and the port and 3 angle would just be to smooth out the torque curve and broaden it a bit. i dont usually go extreme with my port work unless its a race only car. just blend the seats, grind out the casting marks, and then give everything a nice smooth finish with 280 grit flapper paper, usually only get 5-7% more flow, but WWWAAAYYY better atomization. as for cost its not too much of an issue, this guy will spend just about any amount i tell him he needs to spend, it will just take him a while to save up for it.

Old 06-01-2012, 06:29 PM
Administrator

Gotcha, missed the part about the t3 setup. You might wanna think about going 2.0L with a 60 trim, at stock displacement its going to take about 4 days to spool that snail up to full boost. That'd make it way more streetable.

That pile of parts you posted pics of are gonna be useless with a T3 60 trim though, won't flow nearly enough. Car's a Quattro right?

If it were me, I'd go someplace in the middle like ImTheDevil was saying. GTRS/GT2871r elim setup or thereabouts. You could run that all day on stock displacement, then turn up the boost, take all the heavy **** out of the car and run 14's at the track at night.

Old 06-02-2012, 03:13 AM
1st Gear

na that t3 spools by 1400 on a d15b2 sohc honda, wich is what it was on till the guy wanted to hit 11s. if needed i can swap the turbine housing for the .48 A/R that would spool even faster but would limit exhaust flow a bit, maybe too much. im hoping i can get it to the mediocre streetable mark of 14.1 with a front mount intercooler and a tune, i did find some one who does it in the area, he has tuned a couple 425 hp 1.8, so maybe he can squeak out the power it will take.

Quick Reply: '99 Audi A4 build