B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

99.5 30v 2.8l

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 02:38 AM
1st Gear
Default 99.5 30v 2.8l

Now my 30V 2.8L is stock and I wanted to do a new exhaust system to remove the resonators, I hear i can gain some power from it. Except I've been looking EVERYWHERE online, and seriously can't seem to find anything. I've still seen some exhaust on youtube, mostly custom, but some Vibrant, or Magnaflow etc... Now I'm thinking my best bet might be a shop doing it custom as well? Unless someone knows a website that sell nice catback exhaust systems. I've also wondered about stock, headers/air intake. How are they? I don't hear much about them on the 30V. Would it be worth replacing for maybe a Short Ram or Cold Air? How about the headers, are they pretty good for stock or most aftermarket will perform better? I'm still very new to this Audi scene and I've looked around, can't find much. And to be honest I'm not sure where most of the people on this forum is from, but I'm in the USA, and Europe shops(online) would cost a shitload to ship, so lets keep it in the states.

I also hear about cat deletes, where you completely remove the cat as well, Would that be better than getting a hi flow cat?

Last edited by iRdarryl; 03-09-2011 at 02:46 AM. Reason: Forgot one question.
Old 03-09-2011, 01:21 PM
2nd Gear

Stickies and the search button are your friend https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a4-8/newbie-guide-version-2-a-80968/

That has all the information you're looking for, including why you can't readily find the parts you want.

Old 03-09-2011, 03:38 PM
1st Gear

That still doesn't help me with the cat delete, or taking out the resonators in how that affects my vehicle. And how decent are the stock headers/intake. And from seeing all these exhaust, looks like they're either for the 3.0 or 1.8T will the 3.0 exhaust fit on the 2.8 30v and I'm looking for specifically 2.5" piping, not 3", 60mm is a little small as well.?

Still wondering if custom piping from a shop is the way to go?

Last edited by iRdarryl; 03-09-2011 at 03:41 PM. Reason: Question
Old 03-09-2011, 05:39 PM
2nd Gear

Pretty much, nothing you do short of a supercharger will get you any extra power worth what it'll cost you. As far as I know, 3.0 headers won't bolt straight to a 2.8 head without modification, and unless you're planning to do the work yourself, wouldn't be worth it seeing as to get to the headers you have to pull the motor and having a shop do that will not be light on the bank account.

For just a catback, custom piping from a shop is probably the only way you'll get 2.5" and in the end, the catback with bigger piping and straight through mufflers will get you MAYBE 2-3 extra hp. Also, if I remember correct, due to the 2.8 being naturally aspirated, it relies on the back pressure from the cats to run properly; though don't quote me on that, I just remember reading that once from one of the techs on here but I'm not sure.

Taking out the resonator won't do anything for you either; its not restrictive, its just there to quiet things down, so if you want loud, go for it, but don't do it with the stock muffler, it'll sound like *** and you'll get nothing but a steaming pile of $hit from anyone in the euro scene for sounding like a Honda with a fart can. I've heard several sound clips of people that delete the resonator with a magnaflow and it sounds pretty good, still loud, but its a deep rumble as opposed to a high pitch, pissed-off-lawnmower sound; in fact I'm planning to delete mine soon as I have the spare cash to fab the delete the way I want so don't think I'm ragging on loud exhaust or anything, I just want to make sure you do it right so it doesn't sound like crap.

Old 03-09-2011, 06:19 PM
1st Gear

Thanks. Sounds good.

Old 03-09-2011, 09:19 PM
Administrator

Don't run the magnaflow with no resonator - it's so friggin' loud it'll rattle the teeth out of your face. Videos don't really express that.