B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

98' A4 Quattro 1.8

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 10:40 PM
1st Gear
Default 98' A4 Quattro 1.8

I'm trying not to get too geeked over this car but it's hard. 1 owner, well maintained service records and immaculate condition, with only 110k miles. Also, at what I've found to be a great price at 3,500. I've researched about maintenance and although I'm not sure there's a more detailed answer than the ones I've found to this, I'd like to know what exactly is considered maintenance on this car? If I'm careful with it and do all oil changes on time, (also fuel up with super/premium?) should I have to worry THAT much? I'm a college student and would Love to think I can own this car for the next 5 years or more if I take good care of it I just can't afford things going wrong with it every couple months. Basically should I count on having to spend 1 k a year in things breaking going wrong? Audi has always been my favorite car and although I desperately want this one I will not spend my money on it if you guys think I shouldn't. The fate of what I drive for the next 5 years or so is in your guys hands!! LoL.. Please any response is much appreciated as I probably have to make a decision tomorrow. Even if you agree with what the person already answered just say it so I get more feedback. Thanks so much.

Sincerely, John

Old 07-26-2012, 12:49 AM
Legal Moderator

audi's are amazing machines, theres no doubt about it. some people have had nothing but problems, and others have had nothng but success. a one owner car with only 110k and records is a good candidate for a quality machine. sounds like the car i bought and ive only had to do regular fixings to it. as for the $1000 a year, that depends. if your doing the labor, thats a lot of parts. if your not doing the labor, thats not a lot to pay for labor. only 10 hours at a dealership. always expect for things to go wrong, and when they dont, your made out well. but all in all, 3500 for a 98 with 110k isnt a steal, but if its clean, not a bad deal.

Old 07-26-2012, 01:25 AM
1st Gear

Thanks for your reply bro. I just rationalized 450 a month saved should cover gas/insurance/maintenance plus leave me with a nice pocket if something goes wrong.

Old 07-26-2012, 01:28 AM
1st Gear

I just hope they get back to me. It was listed this afternoon and they didn't leave a number. I e-mailed them 3x tonight, (after 9) so hopefully... I don't think I can sleep.