B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

98.5 A4...no turn signals, low beams, climate, pw, and more.

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 09:24 PM
1st Gear
Unhappy 98.5 A4...no turn signals, low beams, climate, pw, and more.

Hopefully someone can help me out here...I've been searching and tinkering all day...

Last night when i got in my car to drive home, I noticed many oddities. First, the interior lights wouldn't go off after starting the car. My windows won't roll down, sunroof won't open. Climate control looks to be working ok, but no air is blown. The turn signals don't work (though the hazards do). Rear de-fogger won't work. Doors don't lock while driving (lock with remote or manually no problem). Low beams won't turn on, only front and rear corners. High beams work. Fog lights don't work. Horn doesn't work.

All fuses are ok.

I did some research, and thought it was the load reduction relay like some people experienced. I bought two different ones, one aftermarket, the other OEM but neither worked.

I checked to make sure the fuse box is getting power, it is.

I inspected every wire I could get at from the driver side foot well, and I couldn't see any that would be stripped, corroded, crossed, or any of the like.

I saw some had the same problem with low beams, and fixed it by either replacing or modifying the head light switch. Though mine seems to be functioning same as it always has.

I pulled out the ECU, and replugged it in a while later (pretty sure this was pointless, but I'm desperate).

Does anyone have any ideas or experience with this issue?

PS. sorry for the novel...

Old 02-19-2011, 09:55 PM
Administrator

Almost every feature you mentioned has its power applied (or in the case of the interior lights, removed) when the key is on. My bet is your ignition switch has given you the finger. They're cheap (I paid $27 shipped), and a bad switch could easily cause every symptom you described.