B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

97 Cabriolet - the good, the bad and the ugly - chic needs help!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 09:05 AM
1st Gear
Default 97 Cabriolet - the good, the bad and the ugly - chic needs help!!

I've been reading through the forums ~ great stuff.
Very impulsively purchased a 97 Cabriolet.

The Good:
Just purchased (very impulsively) 97 Cabriolet ~ Red
Engine seems strong, body clean. Carfax shows no reported accidents but one repo.

The Bad:
Interior Rough
Trunk won't open most of the time. The dealer's mechanic where I purchased it was able to get it open. I successfully opened it once.
Door locks: key will not open door locks. Drivers side will not even turn, pass side will turn a little, can see lock moving up and down slightly but nothing more.
No FOB
On manual unlocking I can hear vacuum from back seat area. Checked under seat for the central lock controller I have seen pictured on here and don't see anything like that under the seat.
Antenna broken off
When I had trunk opened, noticed two round, plastic molded parts near the trunk lock missing, but they are present on the drivers side of trunk. Also a white connector hanging. No idea what these are and would love to post a picture but can't open trunk.
Top does not operate but I get flashing light on dash
Aftermarket Sony Stereo

No owner's manual.
I'm hoping to get some insight here, car forums are always the best What are the chances these are all related?

Old 03-27-2012, 09:24 AM
Tech Certified

I would start looking for water under the carpets & in the trunk area if you can get it open. If there is water there , your fun is about to begin.

Old 03-27-2012, 03:25 PM
1st Gear

Will check again when I get home.
Didn't see any the other day when I DID have the trunk open. Also pulled the rear seat and it looked clean...

Really don't mind manually operating top...more concerned about engine and tranny being strong.

Tranny seems to wind up to 2500 - 3000 at times when shifting between second and third...a little hard shifting at that point...other gears all good...

Old 03-27-2012, 05:51 PM
2nd Gear

I dont think these are very common for diyers so you might have a little bit of a tough time getting info but heres what I can add:

It looks like maybe the trunk and convertible top are inter-related:

https://www.audiforums.com/forum/all...ically-170454/ .

When you say the trunk doesnt open can you put in the key and turn it but nothing happens? Is there resistance or not? Do your seats fold down (i.e. can you access the trunk from within the car)?

Not sure what those plastic pieces are, do they seem functional, or just for appearance?

Heres another link:

How I solved my faulty roof nightmare :-) - Audifans.net so a VAG COM might really help you out here.

and another: Cabriolet Roof Stuck .

And you have two door locks, one doesnt work, the other is getting difficult to turn, I would try to fix this before you have two that dont work and also dont have a working FOB. Probably isnt going to help but you could try spraying some WD-40 in the key lock cylinder, else you will probably have to take the door panel off and have a look at what is binding.

Has the tranny fluid been replaced, how many miles are on the car? If theres a number of miles and youre not sure if the tranny fluid has been replaced it def sounds like its time.

Last edited by Dallas09; 03-27-2012 at 05:56 PM.
Old 03-27-2012, 06:29 PM
1st Gear

Thanks Dallas
I'll work backwards here. No idea on tranny fluid. Car has 123,000 so fluid change probably would be wise. I watched a good story last night about Maple Hill Auto Group, south of GR where I live, who has made a pretty good business with Audi, VW and others after losing his Chrysler dealership. It would probably be worth it to call there. I posted a link to the video story ~ great story about survivors in this economy.
Dealer Jim VandenBerg learns how 'The Strong Survive' after losing Chrysler franchise

LOL on the door locks. I am glad I tried them before I locked the car. Now I leave a window cracked just in case the locks go down because I can't open either door with a key. I shot some WD in but don't have much hope for it.

An owners manual would help. Anyone have one?

Thanks for the links...I checked them out before an now again.
Trunk: Exactly. Key turns but it won't pop. I was able to get it once, the guy that sold it to me had his mechanic open it. I have to go back to pick up my lic plate when it comes in, it is possible he could open it again. I wonder if it is a security system problem possibly related to aftermarket stereo?

Trying to find someone near Grand Rapids Michigan with VAG COM....

Old 03-27-2012, 06:36 PM
1st Gear

...but it is a cute little thing!!
http://s1049.photobucket.com/albums/s386/mtb1764/

Old 03-27-2012, 07:32 PM
2nd Gear

It is very cute! When you get the plates I would see if they can show you how to manually open the roof (unless you already know how to), so then you can open it for the nice weather I assume you are having (its nice here in MN). If he can open the trunk again, see if he can show you how he does it, then you can mess with it at home..

I doubt the aftermarket radio has anything to do with the security system problem, aftermarket radios are really only known to cause VAG COM communication issues (or VAGCOM connections to 12v) if I remember right. And Im not convinced you have a security system (central locking) issue. You said the pump runs when you turn the key (which it should), but does it run continuously (indicating the pump shattered) does it run when it shouldnt, do your interior lights work correctly? Even if the pump doesnt open the locks, the key should open the door manually and mechanically fairly easily (A 1999 A4 does at least).. And if there is a mechanical issue with your locks and you cant open them manually, the central locking might have just as hard of a time as you do..

Last edited by Dallas09; 03-27-2012 at 07:36 PM.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:39 PM
1st Gear

We've had great weather here in MI...a little cooler this week but shattered March temp records ~ 87 F last week

LOL on central locking having a hard time like me! I'm probably brave enough to take the door panel off and check out the locking mechanism. Have instructions for manual operation of top and yes...I'm going to want to open that up!!

Thanks! Will update...

Old 03-27-2012, 08:43 PM
1st Gear

Actually the pump runs when I manually pull the lock from inside....door locks don't turn at all. Trunk lock turns. Pass door lock turns a tad and yes, it almost feels like something is blocking it from turning all the way.

Old 03-27-2012, 09:05 PM
1st Gear

SUCCESS!! OK...30% anyway. WD worked in passenger lock. I am able to unlock it with key. Still no movement on drivers side or trunk but I feel like I have gotten somewhere! Thanks!

Quick Reply: 97 Cabriolet - the good, the bad and the ugly - chic needs help!!