B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

97 A4 start issues - need advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 07:44 PM
1st Gear
Default 97 A4 start issues - need advice

Hi , my daughters V6. last night she had been driving and all was fine , she turned the car off and then after about 10 minutes went to start, cranks fine and good solid battery, the engine fires some times for about 2 seconds and then just dies, try starting again but just cranks over and no fire up , leave it for a while and it fires but shuts of with a rough idle after about 2 seconds ,. got it towed home and going to have a look this morning . feels like fuel to me and tank reads 1/4 full.
initial thoughts people please .
your help is appreviated oh yeh , where is the fuel filter and the fuel relay location?
thank you

Old 06-16-2012, 10:38 PM
1st Gear

have just checked fuel feed and I have fuel to the rail so the pumps working , just cleaned all the leads and connections also removed plugs and cleaned.> checked regulator and replaced all Ok . Checked fuses and none blown. Havent checked for spark yet , battery power is good . Any suggestions ?

Old 06-17-2012, 03:30 PM
1st Gear

My first A4 was a 12v V6. Mine had similar issues and it turned out to be plugged cats, but from what I understand isn't that common. I would try to find someone in your area with a VAGCOM (scan tool) to see if there's any codes. Check engine light doesn't have to flash to get error codes by the way.

Other problem areas could be the MAF, it's a hot-wire maf and could need a cleaning. Throttle body adaptation may also be the culprit but I'm reaching a bit on that one. One other thing it could be is messed up PVC system which occurred on my 30v V6. If your plugs look good, then it may not be, but essentially my PVC plugged up, blew out the valve cover gaskets, fouled the plugs and I found about 3 table spoons of oil sitting in the throttle body.

If you have spark and fuel, next would be air hence the maf/throttle body check or plugged exhaust (remote chance). Again, I would try to check codes/clear codes first, but if don't have one available do the checks.

Good luck,

Old 06-18-2012, 08:00 AM
1st Gear

well , thanks very much for your suggestions i have however found that the fuel pump worked when it wanted to and when it did the flow appeared relatively week . I have ordered anew pump and I will try that as I imagine that if the flow was to little or pressure not enough then the system would pick this up and the injectors wouldnt work , hence no start. I will let you know what the out come is and if its not that I shall check the things that you have suggested
Thank you Man.