B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

97 a4 build plans, ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 08:41 PM
1st Gear
Default 97 a4 build plans, ideas?

hey guys, my car is a 1997 a4 1.8 tqm. and since i recently did a compression test and my engine is in great condition considering the mileage, im gonna finally invest some money in my car, future plans are.
-paint rims black
-lowering springs
-GIAC chip
-custom exhaust
-new side moldings
-new diverter valve
-maybe a test pipe

its basically just going to be a fun daily driver. and i dont want to blow heaploads of cash on any one thing, anything else you guys think i should add to the list? just felt like sharing my plans with you guys.

Old 02-04-2012, 11:11 PM
Tech Guru

Um list is ok. Got a boost gauge. Where you at? I got some sport 16's I'd sell you really cheap if your close that ate already painted black

Old 02-05-2012, 12:22 AM
1st Gear

i live in WI kinda near the twin cities. im thinkin about maybe installing a boost guage but ive heard k03s dont like them very much. what kind of rims are they, just sport audi rims or what?

Old 02-05-2012, 09:10 AM
Administrator

You may be confused on what Jeff means. A boost gauge for the dash so you can see the boost you're making (and how much vacuum the engine holds) is what he's talking about and is necessary for any 1.8T owner.

You might also look into some cosmetic/functional mods such as:

A8 brake upgrade with ceramic pads
One-piece projector headlights with HIDs
Clear sidemarkers
LEDs for the interior, reverse lights, and plate lights
S4 swaybars
Mid-model or facelift taillights (any from a 98 or newer - no amber in the lens)
Shaving the rear badges
Interior trim customizing

Old 02-05-2012, 10:58 AM
Tech Guru

Yes they are standard sport wheels. And yes to read boost/vac.

Jeremy added some Other nice mods.

I'm in stl. I'd be willing to meet in Chicago to drop them to you. $200 for the 5?

Old 02-05-2012, 11:26 AM
1st Gear

that is very tempting what tires r on them? can you pm me a pic or two? im still saving cause all this is happening over the course of the next year or so. so i cant do anything imediately.

i hadnt really thought a whole lot about ext or int mods. ive thought about badges but i kinda like them (lol) headlights and tails would be sick but dont those get really pricey just for plastic? ill definantly look into s4 swaybars too. im not too worried about my brakes just yet to be honest, that gets WAY pricey or so ive seen, im trying to keep each mod under $250, except for the chip, cause those make a big difference.

i just looked it up, ill go for the lights, but ill get the angels eyes in the front cause the HIDs are insanely priced. couldnt find the s4 swaybar. the A8 brake upgrade isnt all that bad, but arent the brakes one the A4 already considerably better than most brakes in the first place. maybe im dumb ive never seen a gigantic need for anything other that stock brakes. so basically sell me on them is what im saying, and for $300 i might go for it. (i shop through ecs, always have)

Last edited by viperpit07; 02-05-2012 at 11:40 AM.
Old 02-05-2012, 01:44 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by viperpit07
i hadnt really thought a whole lot about ext or int mods. ive thought about badges but i kinda like them (lol) headlights and tails would be sick but dont those get really pricey just for plastic? ill definantly look into s4 swaybars too. im not too worried about my brakes just yet to be honest, that gets WAY pricey or so ive seen, im trying to keep each mod under $250, except for the chip, cause those make a big difference.
Depo projectors work fine and are reasonably priced. Many of us have them. Tails would probably run you $50 from a part-out. S4 bars go for $75-100 per pair.

i just looked it up, ill go for the lights, but ill get the angels eyes in the front cause the HIDs are insanely priced. couldnt find the s4 swaybar. the A8 brake upgrade isnt all that bad, but arent the brakes one the A4 already considerably better than most brakes in the first place. maybe im dumb ive never seen a gigantic need for anything other that stock brakes. so basically sell me on them is what im saying, and for $300 i might go for it. (i shop through ecs, always have)
For the love of god stay away from angel eyes - they look bad on Audis and give you no lighting advantage. Get depo projectors and buy HIDs for $50 and install them. A8 brakes (at $250-300 plus pads) are one of the biggest bang for the buck mods out there, and no, the A4 brakes aren't better than the rest. They actually suck - too little braking for the weight of the car.

You'll also find that if you don't shop around and ONLY buy from ECS, you're going to pay more than you should for a lot of things, and wait longer than you have to before they arrive.

Old 02-05-2012, 02:55 PM
Tech Guru

There are no tires on them. You'd just swap yours over.

I'm mobile so I can send pix later.

Old 02-05-2012, 07:53 PM
1st Gear

ok sounds good kraut. maybe ill put the brakes on idk, idk what depo projectors are. i would look somewhere else but idk where else to look

Old 03-12-2012, 05:39 PM
1st Gear

what do stock 1.8t injectors rate at are they 300cc or what?

Quick Reply: 97 a4 build plans, ideas?