B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

'96 Quattro only drives in 2nd gear?!....

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 07:47 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by zacko
My mechanic took it for a spin and did a scan today. He's getting a Brake Light Switch Code and a Coolant Temp code.

I'm pretty sure that the coolant temp code is cause the thermostat is stuck. But the brake light code he seems to think is causing the tranny issue.

Any thoughts?
YES and you should check with your local audi to see if there are any open recalls for the brake light switch

Old 01-15-2010, 07:59 PM
3rd Gear

If the brake light switch is truly bad (which is not uncommon), it can cause the transmission to slip into limp mode.

Unfortunately, valve body issues are also not uncommon with older A4 tip/auto transmissions. I would consider a full junkyard swap if it comes down to a rebuild.

However, just some food for thought: If your ECM cannot read the engine's correct temperature or the engine is not operating at proper temperatures, there is no way to properly diagnose drivetrain issues. Solve the powertrain cooling sytem issues first, then see how the transmission performs.

Old 01-16-2010, 12:57 AM

thanks ya'll. I'll be back w/ updates.

Old 01-17-2010, 06:13 PM

Replaced the brake light switch. Mechanic charged only for the part...$60. Still having the tranny issue though.

Next we'll try changing the tranny fluid/filter. Fingers crossed.

Old 01-17-2010, 07:55 PM
4th Gear

Still think the tech at Mr Transmission had it correct.... If your clutches are slipping, a fluid change wont help - its already too late for that.

However, even if its a solenoid (which I doubt), a fluid change will do nothing and your mechanic should have told you this..

You are throwing money away in the hopes of a cheap fix that will only mean you spent more in the end.

Last edited by Midniteoyl; 01-17-2010 at 07:57 PM.
Old 01-17-2010, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by Midniteoyl
Still think the tech at Mr Transmission had it correct.... If your clutches are slipping, a fluid change wont help - its already too late for that.

However, even if its a solenoid (which I doubt), a fluid change will do nothing and your mechanic should have told you this..

You are throwing money away in the hopes of a cheap fix that will only mean you spent more in the end.
I hope you're wrong, although it seems like the most logical explanation.
I called every dealer in Toronto, they all said that it could be a loose filter and a fluid/filter change would be step 1.

Still though, Mr. Transmission guy's reasoning is solid. But, for peace of mind, I'd have to drop the $150 on the filter/fluid change. I couldn't drop the $1500-$5000 on a tranny swap/repair without knowing that first.

Old 01-17-2010, 08:30 PM
4th Gear

Didnt mean to sound like a d!ck

Of course you should check out other causes.. Just make sure your not getting 'nickeled & dimed'

Old 01-17-2010, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by Midniteoyl
Didnt mean to sound like a d!ck

Of course you should check out other causes.. Just make sure your not getting 'nickeled & dimed'
not at all. you raise good points. thanks for your two cents.

Old 01-18-2010, 02:27 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by zacko
Replaced the brake light switch. Mechanic charged only for the part...$60. Still having the tranny issue though.

Next we'll try changing the tranny fluid/filter. Fingers crossed.
...but have you sorted the engine coolant issue as well? I'm not saying this is your problem, but to properly diagnose a transmission issue, the engine must be running without DTCs.

Old 01-18-2010, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by Tweaked
...but have you sorted the engine coolant issue as well? I'm not saying this is your problem, but to properly diagnose a transmission issue, the engine must be running without DTCs.
I'd have to get to the thermostat to sort that issue out. That's $600+.

I'm hoping the $150 on the tranny fluid/filter will do the trick. Really hoping.

Quick Reply: '96 Quattro only drives in 2nd gear?!....