B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

'96 Quattro only drives in 2nd gear?!....

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 08:15 PM
Default '96 Quattro only drives in 2nd gear?!....

She will only get going in 2nd gear. Once moving, I can switch to "D" or "3" or "4" and it's smooth sailing. But once fully stopped, it'll only get going again in "2". No problems in "R", no unusual sounds.

Worth noting maybe is that shifting from "P" to "2" yields a sudden jolt, whereas the others "D,3,4" yield a more quiet jolt...but again, no motion from stopped in any gear other than "2".

Mechanic said it could be salt, transmission fluid or some part within the trani.
I'm dreading the visit to see him next week. Why do expenses always pile up around xmas!?

Any ideas? Anyone?

1996 Audi A4 Quattro 2.8L

Old 01-11-2010, 06:48 PM

Really!?

Not a one?

Old 01-11-2010, 07:00 PM
4th Gear

Well.. it could be alot of different things.. low fluid, bad fluid pump, bad connections, bad low/reverse, etc, etc, etc... really would help to have the codes.

Old 01-11-2010, 07:50 PM
2nd Gear

I would say like a clutch or a bad syncro, or low tranny fluid, but it sounds like it's an automatic right?

I would bring it to your mechanic asap and be very cautious about driving it, you might be doing more damage.

Old 01-11-2010, 11:58 PM

yep. automatic. I'm off to see the mechanic in the next few days.

Quick question....I had a heater core and coolant flush done a week ago. Any chance that some water made it's way into the the trani lines? And would this effect the transition from 'P' to 'D' at all.

I'm really confused as to why it'll get going in '2' and then switch fine into 'D'. But it won't get going in 'D' t all.

thanks for the replies.

Old 01-12-2010, 12:58 AM
1st Gear

My friend had a very similar problem on a different brand car, though his car did feel as if it was sliping just a little before the jolt..
This issue was FLUID related and Not a Mechanical failure (as-in; not changing parts) related...
Ideally, get the codes or ... ,so the mechanic cannot "invent" a reason to take your tranny Out$!$!

Old 01-12-2010, 01:51 PM

I'm gonna run over to Mr. Transmission and get it scanned for free (apparently), and then take the codes to my mechanic.

Only prob, codes won't tell me anything about the fluid.

Old 01-12-2010, 03:29 PM
2nd Gear

I spoke with my brother out of curiosity about your issue, he's a retired porsche/audi master tech

He reccommended checking and changing the transmission fluid.

He said the issue sounds like a Valve Body, which is bad news...there is a possibility you need a new transmission.

Good luck

Old 01-12-2010, 04:39 PM

I read somewhere that changing the trani fluid often causes more problems, and should be avoided. But if I'ts between a new trani or a fluid change, I'll take my chances with the fluid change.

Any idea what a trani replacement would cost? parts/labor?

Old 01-12-2010, 04:42 PM
4th Gear

Mostly fallacy.. Most people who changed thier fluid and had it break later assume the change did it when in reality the tranny was on its way out from a lack of proper maintance in the first place...

Quick Reply: '96 Quattro only drives in 2nd gear?!....