B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

40V in a B5? Yes please.

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2014 | 03:05 AM
Site Moderator/B5 Tech Guru

Awesome, congrats man. Still want those videos!

Old 04-10-2014 | 04:29 PM
|
2nd Gear

Still no VSS! I've verified the connection from the ECU to the cluster and the signal was fine running the ART ECU. Now, nothing. I tried logging measuring block 005 and it was a constant 0.0 km/hr for the whole drive. I'm so close to having this wrapped up and this is the last thing holding me up. Any ideas? I'm fresh out.

Old 04-10-2014 | 05:23 PM
Site Moderator/B5 Tech Guru

Do you know the sensor works?

Remember my problem with the VSS was a bent pin in the cluster and a faulty sensor.

Old 04-10-2014 | 06:09 PM
|
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by BaseDrifter
Do you know the sensor works?

Remember my problem with the VSS was a bent pin in the cluster and a faulty sensor.
The thought crossed my mind, but the ART ECU was able to read the VSS and the "new" AWN ECU does not. Cruise worked and I was able to log vehicle speed before. Now it reads nothing. Since the cluster speed is good, I'm 100% on the sensor. I've only ever removed the plugs from the cluster twice, but it is possible that I bent a pin. I think that the AWN ECU is looking for a different type of VSS signal from the cluster, but don't know how to confirm/test.

Old 04-10-2014 | 06:18 PM
1st Gear

Bshusted question if you don't mind!... After reading and following this thread pretty much since day 1! I am now really wanting to attempt this swap myself this winter since I have access to a fully enclosed barn and my 2.8 is running good for now but who knows what will come up next... I have been looking and keeping an eye open for either a 99-00 a6 rear damage only and have found a few but where out of my price range at that moment.... Anyway back to the question for someone such as you or me just wanting more out of there car and falling short since there aren't really any aftermarket upgrades for these early b5's is the 4.2 v8 swap well worth the time and effort?.... I'm also considering adding a turbo to the 4.2 if I end up doing the swap

Old 04-10-2014 | 10:37 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by bshusted
I think that the AWN ECU is looking for a different type of VSS signal from the cluster, but don't know how to confirm/test.
If it has 3 pins, it's a Hall sensor. The plug pins are +/-/signal. And that can be tested while someone cranks the motor. If you get a healthy signal, the sensor and reluctor on the flywheel are happy. Now it would be easy to check the part number for the VSS on the ART versus the AWN. My bet is that it's the same part number. Then it's down to the harness and the ECU. And if you really had to, you could test for the Hall signal at the pins on the ECU plug.

Hope I haven't oversimplified it. Sometimes a guy who's not deep in it can boil it down faster.

Old 04-11-2014 | 12:19 AM
|
2nd Gear

I'd be willing to believe that the sensor used in the transmission is the same for both. What I think is different is the communication from the cluster to the ECU.

Old 04-11-2014 | 12:54 AM
|
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by 86f250xlt
Bshusted question if you don't mind!... After reading and following this thread pretty much since day 1! I am now really wanting to attempt this swap myself this winter since I have access to a fully enclosed barn and my 2.8 is running good for now but who knows what will come up next... I have been looking and keeping an eye open for either a 99-00 a6 rear damage only and have found a few but where out of my price range at that moment.... Anyway back to the question for someone such as you or me just wanting more out of there car and falling short since there aren't really any aftermarket upgrades for these early b5's is the 4.2 v8 swap well worth the time and effort?.... I'm also considering adding a turbo to the 4.2 if I end up doing the swap
Glad you like it. What year is the B5 you're thinking of swapping into? Swapping into a chassis that is already setup for DBW would make this much easier. While you're looking for an A6, I would recommend actually looking for an 01, engine code AWN. I've been having to modify my wire harness to run a AWN ECU.

Anyway, to answer your question, yes. The car is a blast to drive now. It puts a smile on my face every time I put my paw on the loud pedal.

Old 04-11-2014 | 09:05 AM
1st Gear

I have a 96 b5 that I am about to do an interior upgrade newer style center console, newer door panels, newer steering wheel and dash cluster.... And looking for an 01 I will start doing that then

Old 04-11-2014 | 10:10 AM
|
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by 86f250xlt
I have a 96 b5 that I am about to do an interior upgrade newer style center console, newer door panels, newer steering wheel and dash cluster.... And looking for an 01 I will start doing that then
If you're serious about the V8 swap you may want to try and find a dash/body harness from a newer DBW B5 and install that while you have the interior out. From what I understand the '96 wiring is different from all other B5s. You may want to get in touch with audizine user tinytim as he has been working on doing the swap on a '96.