B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

40V in a B5? Yes please.

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2013 | 09:08 PM
|
2nd Gear

Wire brush and brake cleaner. There was a can of aerosol brake cleaner included in my kit.

Got mine on Ebay.

Old 08-17-2013 | 02:54 AM
Site Moderator/B5 Tech Guru

Yup, wire brush and brake cleaner. I scored my G2 paint kit at a hardware store on sale for about 15 bucks.

Old 08-18-2013 | 11:47 AM
1st Gear

Awesome build thread. I'm actually looking for a 2000 A6 thats been hit myself. Being patient about finding the donor car. Very helpful thread.

Old 08-18-2013 | 02:42 PM
1st Gear

any videos soon?

Old 08-18-2013 | 11:38 PM
|
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by KDaviou
Awesome build thread. I'm actually looking for a 2000 A6 thats been hit myself. Being patient about finding the donor car. Very helpful thread.
Glad to hear that another is jumping on the band wagon. I would not recommend doing a swap like this without the entire parts car at your disposal. There are so many random parts that you would not expect to need from the donor, especially if you're changing from DBC to DBW as I had to.

In light of my tuning efforts I have changed my opinion on the "proper" donor car. While the 2000 ART lacks the immobilizer that will prevent you from running it for more than ~15 sec, the ME7.1 ECU is not easily able to be coded for the manual transmission. I'm currently waiting on a 2001 AWN ECU (ME7.1.1) to arrive so that I can flash modified files to the ECU for the manual coding. In addition, I'll need to disable the immobilizer. Later ECU's rely on CAN programming that will make things even more difficult.

Sorry Kamil'. I am waiting for the new ECU to arrive and in the mean time I have an awesome whine from either the serpentine tensioner pulley or the idler. I really hope that it's not the fan pulley .

Last edited by bshusted; 08-18-2013 at 11:40 PM.
Old 09-01-2013 | 12:10 PM
|
2nd Gear

Not a video update, but an update none the less.

Got my new serpentine pulleys and coolant tank in the mail. Of course this is the same day that the original coolant tank went critical on me. Now I have a nice shiny coolant tank instead of the old yellowed one. I ordered it from partsgeek.com and fully expected a Chinese knockoff for the $56 I spent (everyone else wanted close to $100). The one I received looks to be OEM with the four rings and part number cast into the bottom.

Name:  IMG_20130901_082238_530_zps53153379.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  2.76 MB
Name:  IMG_20130901_082246_751_zps6ed33b83.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  2.49 MB
Name:  IMG_20130901_082229_531_zpsb3173e45.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  2.91 MB

I actually did the tank swap in the parking lot of our apartment (not supposed to work on cars). I didn't want to drive it and have the old one totally explode. Early on a Sunday morning there wasn't anyone around, so I went for it. Used a $4 hand pump from Harbor freight to drain the tank and some plastic line pinch clamps to hold everything else in. Didn't spill a drop. Before someone mentions it, I know I need a new cap...

Later today or tomorrow I'll drive to the garage where I work to pull the bumper/lock carrier and switch out the serpentine pulleys. I've also received my new (used) ECU and just need to put together a harness for bench flashing it to code for manual transmission.

In other news, my wife and I will be moving in October. We bought a place in Kirkland with a garage!

Old 09-06-2013 | 08:26 PM
|
2nd Gear

CEL turned off yesterday on my way home from work and has stayed off. I'm not sure what has changed, but I like it not being on again. I don't know if the ECU gave up complaining about faults or if the light burnt out. I'm going to scan for codes tonight and see what the deal is.

Old 09-08-2013 | 08:53 PM
1st Gear

So it seems like the swap is pretty successful so far. You did all the electrical wiring yourself which in my opinion is the hardest part. Fabricating special parts or looking for parts isn't easy either but you did it all.

Its good that CEL went away. Hopefully it will stay that way.

Old 09-08-2013 | 09:05 PM
|
2nd Gear

I would consider it a success. The electrical part wasn't too bad once we figured out how the diagrams worked. There are still some electrical issues to sort out for swapping to the newer ECU that I can flash for the manual transmission. BaseDrifter got a spare ECU plug for me from a junkyard near him for making a bench flashing harness, but it turned out to not be compatible with my ECU . That part of the project is on hold for a bit.

Old 09-09-2013 | 11:56 AM
1st Gear

I was honestly amazed at how quickly you got the swap done.

Im no expert, but seeing you guys put these cars together made me want to swap my 2.8 out when the time is right.

I was thinking of doing the same swap you did, or a VR6 swap; then I realized who am I kidding? I shouldn't stuff more in my mouth than I can chew, catch my drift.

So for now I am leaning towards either finding a S4 motor with a 10E tranny, or just taking my entire 2.8 apart, finding new heads, new pistons, rings, rods, valves and the whole 9 yards. You see my idea is to take the PES G2 Supercharger kit and combine that with either a single or twin turbo set up. To my understanding the 2.8 block is practically the same as the 2.7 block. I think the 2.8 has a slightly bigger bore but the stroke is the same. Here is my dilemma. I read somewhere that if you are building the entire motor from scratch, its better to start with the 2.8 block rather than the 2.7 block. Is there any difference between the two? I don't know, that's why I am asking.

Now I am wondering; what kind of air intake manifold am I going to need? Completely custom, or would I be using the 2.7 intake manifold? How about the heads? Which would be ideal for a project of this nature. The catch here is to incorporate a supercharger and turbocharger together. It has been done. Basically all you need is enough plumbing, enough intercoolers, a few butterfly valves, and correct placement of the throttle body.

I am aware that this set-up may not produce 800+ whp but that's not what I am shooting for. Anywhere from 350-450 would make me a happy man, and I am pretty sure with a fully built motor, a supercharger to give you low RPM power, and a turbo to give you high RPM power, it would be a pretty fun car to drive.

And the best part about this project is that you do not have to use custom motor mounts or anything. All that needs to be modified extensively is probably exhaust/intake plumbing and a bunch of ECU programming.

This project will begin in the event my 2.8 starts getting messed up. I am fully aware that a conversion this extensive would probably cost 10,000-15,000 but I think it would be awesome to have a twincharged B5.

Last edited by Kamil`; 09-09-2013 at 12:04 PM.