B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

4 Rings of doom...

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 09:17 AM
1st Gear
Default 4 Rings of doom...

For starters, it was negative 26 this morning in balmy fryeburg me. I went out to start my car and had to hold my foot on the accelerator for 5 minutes before it was warm enough to not die if i took my foot off. I went back inside to to grab my bag and let it warm up for a bit and when i came out, i hear popping and clanging noises and look at the ground to see all my oil pouring out from under the engine, and mixed in looks like coolant or water. After kicking the tires out of disgust i turned the car off and went to school with my dad. Any ideas of what could be the problem. I didnt even pop the hood or anything, hopefully tomorrow ill be able to figureo ut more symptons but i know enough that with no oil i shouldnt be starting it or driving. So looks like a tow to the closest shop. Any thoughts or ideas? My friends thought maybe a cracked block or seal. Thanks.

Old 01-16-2009, 09:23 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Schwalbe181
For starters, it was negative 26 this morning in balmy fryeburg me. I went out to start my car and had to hold my foot on the accelerator for 5 minutes before it was warm enough to not die if i took my foot off. I went back inside to to grab my bag and let it warm up for a bit and when i came out, i hear popping and clanging noises and look at the ground to see all my oil pouring out from under the engine, and mixed in looks like coolant or water. After kicking the tires out of disgust i turned the car off and went to school with my dad. Any ideas of what could be the problem. I didnt even pop the hood or anything, hopefully tomorrow ill be able to figureo ut more symptons but i know enough that with no oil i shouldnt be starting it or driving. So looks like a tow to the closest shop. Any thoughts or ideas? My friends thought maybe a cracked block or seal. Thanks.
That sounds bad... I hope its not a rod through the block or something but thats kind of what it sounds like. It was -21-23 this morning... I've never been this cold in my life!

Old 01-16-2009, 09:38 AM
Administrator

how old is your timing belt?

Old 01-16-2009, 12:16 PM
2nd Gear

the only thing that would really leak oil and coolant is a head gasket or a cracked block. good luck.

Old 01-16-2009, 12:17 PM
1st Gear

I had a similar problem with my b5 A4.

It wasnt as cold as it was where you are but it was way below freezing. I started my car after it had been sitting for about a week. Noticed that it was making weird noises from under the hood.... I pop the hood to find that its spraying oil everywhere from behind the oil cooler.

Turns out that it was a the O-Ring seal for the oil cooler (a $2.75 part) that had broken apart in the cold. Simple fix and cheap too.

I didnt have anything that looked like coolant though. But worth looking into.

Old 01-16-2009, 12:24 PM
Site Moderator

clinking/clanking+engine diarhea = hole in block

If you had to hold your foot on the gas for it to not die then there was a problem in the first place. Could possibly have something to do with why you need a new engine now. Maybe it was a little fuel line freezeup, so you were giving it a bunch of gas to get it/keep it running, and you went way lean, detonated and snapped a rod. I'd put money on it.

Last edited by onepoint8tee; 01-16-2009 at 12:37 PM.
Old 01-16-2009, 12:26 PM
Site Moderator

Originally Posted by gee_off2121
I had a similar problem with my b5 A4.

It wasnt as cold as it was where you are but it was way below freezing. I started my car after it had been sitting for about a week. Noticed that it was making weird noises from under the hood.... I pop the hood to find that its spraying oil everywhere from behind the oil cooler.

Turns out that it was a the O-Ring seal for the oil cooler (a $2.75 part) that had broken apart in the cold. Simple fix and cheap too.

I didnt have anything that looked like coolant though. But worth looking into.
2.8's don't have an oil cooler

Old 01-17-2009, 09:38 AM
1st Gear

my timing belt was done at 145, and im at 182, so that should be good. im going with cracked block too. Sadly. Now i just need to make the decision whether to keep it or part it, not having the money to put into it to keep it running anymore is the main problem.

Old 01-17-2009, 11:00 AM
5th Gear

your best bet is to part it out. don't bother with dropping another 12v in there. i'd go look for another car. if you are indeed parting i need some parts too

Old 01-17-2009, 03:38 PM
1st Gear

im bringing it to a shop on tuesday for a definate answer on whats wrong and the price to fix. Ill keep you posted on what im gonna do with it. Thanks for the help

Quick Reply: 4 Rings of doom...