B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

30V Strange Engine Noise...Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 08:21 PM
2nd Gear
Default 30V Strange Engine Noise...Thoughts?

When I got home yesterday, I heard a soft whirring noise coming from up front. At first I just chalked it up to the auxiliary fan doing its thing, but decided to take a look.

Under the hood I could tell right away that it was not the fan but seems to originate from the front of the engine. I shut it down and pulled the plastic engine covers. This narrows it down to the front passenger side with the engine running. I pulled the top timing cover on the passenger side fearing that the timing belt was rubbing on something, but all appeared well.

I pulled the breather pipe on the passenger side head and listened inside the valve cover, but that didn't seem reveal anything. Could this be the cam position sensor on the top of the passenger side head? Since the noise seems to come from the front of the engine, I figured that the chain and tensioner are okay.

Any suggestions or thoughts?

Also, at idle, should there be vacuum on the breather pipe? I expected the engine to die or stumble when I pulled the breather, but nothing. Visually it doesn't appear to be clogged or cracked, but no vacuum.

Old 02-28-2013, 12:33 AM
1st Gear

Alternator bearing?

Serpentine belt tensioner pulley bearing?

Old 02-28-2013, 01:06 AM
2nd Gear

I hadn't considered one of the serpentine accessories. I'll run the engine with the belt removed and see if the noise goes away.

Old 03-02-2013, 04:52 PM
2nd Gear

Definitely the serpentine tensioner pulley. Is the pulley serviceable or do I have to replace the whole tensioner?

Old 03-02-2013, 05:29 PM
1st Gear

serpentine belt pulley...get it fixed ASAP. Literally just went on my A4...long story short blew a head gasket and had to put new engine in..mostly because it wasnt worth fixing cause mileage so i went with lower mileage engine...

but yeah fix it before it shears off (if this is what it is)

Old 03-02-2013, 06:58 PM
2nd Gear

Alright! I just DIY'd the s*%# out of that thing.

To confirm this was the problem, I removed the serpentine from the engine and ran it briefly and it was silent. Spinning the tensioner by hand, I could feel that it wasn't kosher inside.

Most places wanted to sell me the entire tensioner assembly for $$$, so that was a no go. There are a couple of articles on Audizine about replacing the bearings by drilling out the rivets holding the two halves of the pulley together and pressing in a new bearing. Not a fan of this either....

Here's what I did...remove the pulley from the tensioner. This can be done without removing the tensioner; just one T40 bolt through the center of the pulley after you remove the plastic dust cap. Then go to the auto-parts store of your choice and pick up Gates part #38006. The replacement pulley is a 1 piece design vs. the 2 piece of the OEM unit. The bearing size and outside diameter is identical. The best part is that it's only $20. I'm sure I could have found it cheaper online or elsewhere if I had the time to search, but mine was making an awful noise and didn't want to put it off.

Eva is back to being stealthy silent.

Old 03-02-2013, 07:14 PM
1st Gear
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by bshusted
Alright! I just DIY'd the s*%# out of that thing.

To confirm this was the problem, I removed the serpentine from the engine and ran it briefly and it was silent. Spinning the tensioner by hand, I could feel that it wasn't kosher inside.

Most places wanted to sell me the entire tensioner assembly for $$$, so that was a no go. There are a couple of articles on Audizine about replacing the bearings by drilling out the rivets holding the two halves of the pulley together and pressing in a new bearing. Not a fan of this either....

Here's what I did...remove the pulley from the tensioner. This can be done without removing the tensioner; just one T40 bolt through the center of the pulley after you remove the plastic dust cap. Then go to the auto-parts store of your choice and pick up Gates part #38006. The replacement pulley is a 1 piece design vs. the 2 piece of the OEM unit. The bearing size and outside diameter is identical. The best part is that it's only $20. I'm sure I could have found it cheaper online or elsewhere if I had the time to search, but mine was making an awful noise and didn't want to put it off.

Eva is back to being stealthy silent.

HAHA! glad to hear it and $20 is way cheaper than a whole new OEM
assemble