B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

30 valve 2.8 ac compressor delete

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 11:07 PM
Default 30 valve 2.8 ac compressor delete

Any 2.8 gurus know if you can bypass a bad ac compressor with a shorter serpentine belt? an maybe what length belt?

thanks
mike

Old 12-09-2008, 11:17 PM
Administrator

If nothing else, you could pull the compressor, take some measurements, and make a bracket to mount the AC compressor pulley on a shaft and bearing that will just spin freely. Measure right and you can position the pulley right where it would be on the compressor, and then you don't have to worry about the different belt or any other belt routing issues that may arise as a result of simply deleting it. I honestly doubt it would be that hard to do if you have the compressor in hand to make your measurements.

Old 12-09-2008, 11:33 PM
3rd Gear

Did the compressor seaze? if not why would you want to take it out of the belt loop a lot of work for nothing... If its seazed you could attempt to replace the bearing on the pully I have seen it done on other cars before. Or just buy a junk yard one can't be very expensive. Ill bet cheaper then eliminating it.

Old 12-11-2008, 12:26 AM

Well I just finished doing the ac compressor delete( just for the winter cold in new hampshire)it is very easy you dont even have to put it in the SERVICE POSITION!. just take the old belt off( loosening the tensioner 17mm socket crank clockwise) and buy a Dayco 69.5 inch serpentine belt, got mine at advanced auto parts $26.50 . reroute the belt around staying short of the compressor, its a alittle tight in there but its very do able.Also noticed a little more throttle response as well

Cheers
Mike

Old 12-11-2008, 02:02 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by ImTheDevil
If nothing else, you could pull the compressor, take some measurements, and make a bracket to mount the AC compressor pulley on a shaft and bearing that will just spin freely. Measure right and you can position the pulley right where it would be on the compressor, and then you don't have to worry about the different belt or any other belt routing issues that may arise as a result of simply deleting it. I honestly doubt it would be that hard to do if you have the compressor in hand to make your measurements.
if the compressor clutch is disengaged, meaning the AC isnt on, that would essentialy be the same thing as just leaving it alone. theres still the pully, theres still the rotational mass.

Old 12-11-2008, 03:26 AM
1st Gear

Hmm, considering its only hot half the time here on longisland, and i dont remember the last time i used the AC rather than popin the windows, maby ill do this! lol

Old 12-11-2008, 09:44 AM
1st Gear

how exactly does a car go into the service position? I usually just park it and do what I gotta do to it.

Old 12-11-2008, 11:26 AM
3rd Gear

... this is just so not worth it.... it doesn't even take .5 hp to turn that pulley on the compressor. I understand if your compressor is seized and you just don't wanna replace it but deleting it for hp is 100% useless. You would get more power from doing a tune up. The only time the compressor is putting real resistance on the engine is when the AC is on. Sometimes when the front defrost is on i think.

Old 12-11-2008, 11:35 AM

I didn't bypass the ac compressor because I wanted to ,I don't have the time right now to put it in the service position,drain all the old r134 put in a new accumulator etc and wait till the new compressor arrives and install it . I need my car everyday due to my job. All in all the power gain is very minimal but the throttle is a little more responsive.

Old 12-11-2008, 01:25 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by mike711
I didn't bypass the ac compressor because I wanted to ,I don't have the time right now to put it in the service position,drain all the old r134 put in a new accumulator etc and wait till the new compressor arrives and install it . I need my car everyday due to my job. All in all the power gain is very minimal but the throttle is a little more responsive.
I was talking more to anmagro. In his case its not worth it at all! Specially if his AC works well. I also have hard time believing noticeable throttle response.

Quick Reply: 30 valve 2.8 ac compressor delete