B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

3/21/09....Suspension D-Day

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 05:38 PM
3rd Gear
Default 3/21/09....Suspension D-Day

Well I guess there comes a time in every A4 owners life when they are met with a decision to make. Send my car the mechanic to get the Control Arms, Springs, Struts, Rotors and Pads done......or.........DO IT YOURSELF.

I have chose the DIY way........

I'm building up steam this week to tackle this project and have a question to those who have the knowledge:

For the Control Arm install have a write-up that states the Axle Bolt is 17mm or smaller depending on your year for the axle bolt, I have searched and found that it might be 14mm.

I have a 96 2.8 quattro manual, anyone have the right answer? I'm pretty sure it should be the 14mm but I need to be sure.

Old 03-15-2009, 06:00 PM
1st Gear

if you're talking about the bolt in the center of the hub, just take the wheel of and check it out. it will be pretty easy to tell the difference between 14 and 17mm, even with a garbage ruler.

http://www.audiworld.com/tech/wheel43.shtml

This is the guide I used to do mine. If your cars been in some salt, it's gonna be a PITA. make sure to use the blaster 2 days out and then again the day before. the biggest pain for me was the bolt holding the upper links at the spindle. it required a torch, drill and air hammer to finally get the damn thing out. best o' luck.

Old 03-15-2009, 06:10 PM
3rd Gear

Thanks.....I have that article as a reference as well. Like I said after looking I'm pretty sure its 14 mm but wanted to make sure I just want everything in order so I don't have to spend half the day chasing parts or tools.

I'm no stranger to the torch but hopefully it won't have to be used.

Old 03-15-2009, 07:37 PM
5th Gear

i think our stock lugs are 14 or 17 too, leaning toward 17. try to see if it fits in the axle bolt. if you're doing the rear pads too, you'll need some allen tools. so i presume you're lowering? have fun with compressing the springs lol, scared the crap outta me when i did mine. have fun and be prepared to buy a spindle or 2

Old 03-15-2009, 08:08 PM
3rd Gear

that raises another good question, I was going to compress the springs anyway but is it necessary? And I'm intrigued about the spindle comment.....can you elaborate?

Old 03-15-2009, 08:36 PM
3rd Gear

I won't say I'm getting too worried but, I'm reading in the Bentley manual that when servicing the springs, struts and brakes, they say to replace nuts, bolts, washers. Um....is this also necessary. I really want to do everything correctly without cutting corners and if I need to get all this additional hardware I want to make sure I can get it ASAP if need be.

And advice on properly aligning the strut/spring assemblies for the front and back without the use of the VAG tools.

Any pointers?

Last edited by ObnoxiousDrunk; 03-15-2009 at 08:41 PM.
Old 03-15-2009, 08:36 PM
Administrator

With the suspension and spring question, it all depends. If you're doing aftermarket struts and springs, they may arrive pre-assembled. If so, there is no compression needed. If not, you will have to compress them as you'll never get the hat on the strut without spring compressors (that's what caps them off and provides the upper spring seat). If you're shaky about doing it - and it can be unnerving - or if you don't have (or have access to) air tools, take the struts and springs to a shop and have them assemble them. I've done spring swaps using hand tools and it takes FOREVER, and leaves you absolutely wiped out. Air tools are the only practical way to do it.

Regarding the other portions of your project, pads and rotors are a cakewalk - you'll have no trouble with those.

The hub/axle bolt on my 99 is a 17mm front, 14mm rear, and they have ridiculous torque (the 17mm front calls for 140 ft-lbs, plus a 180-degree turn). I bought a set of allen socket bits at AutoZone that had 12, 14, and 17mm in one set for around $9, so that'll handle it either way. You'll need smaller allen bits to do the brakes (the bolts that hold the calipers to the carriers are, I believe, 8mm allen), and I got another assortment of 4-10mm allen socket bits for about $10 at AutoZone. Get those, a BIG breaker bar, and a torque wrench for this project.

Hiwords' comment about the spindles is likely in reference to the pinch bolt at the top of the front spindle, which mounts the two upper control arms. It's the f*cking devil to try and get out. You may end up drilling and trashing the thing or even trashing your entire spindle trying to get it out - it's happened to quite a few people.

All in all, it's definitely a doable job for a DIYer given that you have air tools, penetrating oil (far better than PB Blaster or Liquid Wrench), and a decent array of tools. You might even take the car to a shop, ask what they'd charge to remove the two pinch bolts, and let them do it. Buy a pair of them from a dealership prior to this, explain to them that you don't have the tools at home to get that bastard out, and ask if they'll remove them for you and insert the new bolts. Then drive home, remove the new bolts, and change your control arms. If I get to the point of front upper CA replacement, that's how I'm gonna do it - I took the pinch bolt nut off once, and it looked like the pinch bolt was cast from the same piece as the spindle.

Old 03-15-2009, 08:47 PM
3rd Gear

unfortunately my springs and struts need to be assembled.....I have no issue removing everything, I've done a spring/strut install on my old Dodge Neon and I considered it a decent job to undertake. I'm a little unnerved that they suggest to replace all this hardware, whereas on the Neon you could re-use all the old stuff. I know the Dodge is no in any way shape or form similar to the Audi but just as a reference.

If I were to go to Audi and tell them I was to undertake this would they supply me with all the necessary hardware or at least tell me sizes and then I can source them on my own?

And this as well: advice on properly aligning the strut/spring assemblies for the front and back without the use of the VAG tools.

Last edited by ObnoxiousDrunk; 03-15-2009 at 08:51 PM.
Old 03-15-2009, 10:10 PM
Administrator

Dang man are you doin everything on all four corners? Thats gonna be a heck of a job, good luck!

Old 03-15-2009, 10:24 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by CCA4
Dang man are you doin everything on all four corners? Thats gonna be a heck of a job, good luck!
Um.....yeah, that's the idea, but I'm staring to get the impression that I might be biting off more than I can chew. Keeping that in mind though, it's exactly that which has also got me feeling like yeah it's going to be a long weekend, but the challenge of it all is what's keeping me into it.

I guess we shall see come this weekend.

Quick Reply: 3/21/09....Suspension D-Day