B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

2nd intercooler?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 04:08 PM
1st Gear
Default 2nd intercooler?

I've often wondered if it would be possible to add a second intercooler on the passenger side of the car. The B5 S4 has this, right? Or is it the B6 A4? I just thought I would be cheaper to get a used OEM unit and plumb it in, then to get an $800 FMIC from someone else. Any ideas?

Old 08-31-2008, 05:10 PM

I know one of the other cars has this, and i see where your coming from. I too would ponder doing that before I was to spend 800+ on a FMIC. That, and I think it would look much more "sleek" yet still providing for the car.

Old 08-31-2008, 05:37 PM
3rd Gear

theres no where to put it behind the stock bumper on the passenger side, or even behind a s4 or rs4 bumper for that matter. your horns, secondary air pump, a/c condensor and other stuff is in the way. also theres no reason to run more then one FMIC, even at 1000hp theres single FMIC cores that support that much power.

im sure if you didnt need your air conditioning or a horn and you wanted to do a bunch of fabrication you could get this to work, you would also need the air cowel that directs air into the side intercooler thru the bumper. all in all i dont see this being that much cheaper or efficient then a regular front mount setup. you also really couldnt reuse the stock air pipe that runs alont the bottom of the radiator because the bends on it are too extreme to get a pipe from a passenger side mount to it without some excessively huge bends.

Old 08-31-2008, 05:49 PM
4th Gear
Old 08-31-2008, 07:55 PM
1st Gear

Well I know that you would need to replace that pipe under the bumper, and I think that all you would have to do is cut out the plastic in the back of the cover in between the horizontal louvers to make it a functioning vent. I had thought about this because I didn't want to have to bother with adapting in the MAF sensor at the top of my intercooler into a new system. I read Bishops thread about his install, but I'm not sure if thats the way I want to go. I guess I'm crazy, but I thought the B6 had two intercoolers. I know that too big of an intercooler on a stock turbo isn't a good idea, but I thought two small ones could equal one bigger front mount.

Old 08-31-2008, 08:07 PM
1st Gear

See! I'm not crazy! the B5 S4 has an intercooler on both sides. Why won't this work for us?

http://people.arsc.edu/~munk/S4/2.7tSchematic.jpg

Old 08-31-2008, 08:12 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by TommyGunns
See! I'm not crazy! the B5 S4 has an intercooler on both sides. Why won't this work for us?

http://people.arsc.edu/~munk/S4/2.7tSchematic.jpg
well yea because its bi-turbo(2turbos)

Old 08-31-2008, 08:19 PM
1st Gear

I know the 2.7T has two turbos, my point is ghost said that it wouldn't fit, but the B5 S4 does have room? I know there is more room with the bumper, but is that the only reason. I found someplace that has an intercooler for the left side of an S4 pretty cheep. I thought it would be easier to just alter one side than to do the whole thing.

Old 08-31-2008, 10:45 PM
Administrator

You're going to suffer additional pressure drop with the second core, and are also likely to have to deal with a decent amount of turbo lag as a result of the extra core and all that extra piping. Get a good FMIC or SMIC as an upgrade from your OEM intercooler and call it a day.

Old 09-01-2008, 01:38 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by TommyGunns
I know the 2.7T has two turbos, my point is ghost said that it wouldn't fit, but the B5 S4 does have room? I know there is more room with the bumper, but is that the only reason. I found someplace that has an intercooler for the left side of an S4 pretty cheep. I thought it would be easier to just alter one side than to do the whole thing.
your not going to get that much more turbo lag, in relation to the amount of air the turbo is flowing the volume it has to fill isnt that much more, however-

il take a picture for you in the morning, i just installed my fmic and spent probably 40 hours fiddling and fixing stuff in there and trying different configurations so i know whats in the area, the car still doesnt have a bumper. i know for a fact a side mount wouldnt fit in that space without at least relocating the A/C and horns, if not a few other things or removing them entirely.

The S4 is built with a side mount in mind so these things are relocated. on an A4 they used this space to more easily fit these accessories. in theory, yes its easy to do, but if you actualy look at the clearances of the actual parts, its not just going to bolt together. i said its possible but your going to have to do alot of custom fab stuff.

pull your bumper off and take a look if you dont believe me, it only takes 3 minuits and 2 bolts. look at where your drivers side intercooler is and look at where it might fit on the passenger side and you will see a ton of hoses and stuff in the way. you may even need to cut some of the plastic to get it to fit in there.

Last edited by ghost6303; 09-01-2008 at 01:41 AM.

Quick Reply: 2nd intercooler?