B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

2001 2.8L Heating problems...

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 11:58 PM
Administrator

Not without seeing where it was.

Old 11-19-2010, 01:09 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by tiffo60
well the heater core wasnt the problem, it was clean. But I did find a random hose in the area of the heater hose's that wasn't connected to anything, any idea what this goes to?

do u know what kinda fluid that was inside of it? smell it or somthing also it looks like a vacum line but who knows

Old 11-19-2010, 07:15 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by SICKB5
Mileage doesn't much play a role in this. A good indicator for the heater core blockage is the condition of the coolant in the expansion tank. If there is rust colored crud on the walls of the tank or worse chunks, then that is the source of the problem
Exactly what I was going to say. +1.

That said, seeing that the heater core apparently wasn't the problem, OP could you post a pic of the general area of the engine bay where you found that hose? It wasn't connected to anything?

Old 11-19-2010, 10:27 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by CCA4
Exactly what I was going to say. +1.

That said, seeing that the heater core apparently wasn't the problem, OP could you post a pic of the general area of the engine bay where you found that hose? It wasn't connected to anything?
I was connecting the Heater hoses back on there nipples when I noticed it right beside them, It wasn't connected to anything and I looked around for a while with a flash light to see where it may have come from with no luck. Its dry on the inside but a little dirty. I was thinking vacuum line but I didn't have any vacuum leaks that I know of and I couldn't hear any air sucking in the area of where I found it. Its hard to tell from the crappy black berry pic, but its a brownish clear hose with a 90* connector on one end.

Last edited by tiffo60; 11-19-2010 at 10:29 AM.
Old 11-19-2010, 11:05 AM
2nd Gear

Sounds like someone left it there by mistake. What's the approximate inside diameter of it?

Old 11-19-2010, 11:09 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by dragonrage
Sounds like someone left it there by mistake. What's the approximate inside diameter of it?
its either 1/8th or 3/16, I would have to check it when I get back home

Old 11-19-2010, 11:14 AM
2nd Gear

Okay those are (around) sizes that would make sense for vacuum line... It wouldn't hurt to go over your vacuum system completely to make sure.

Old 02-21-2011, 08:29 AM
1st Gear

Just to give an update, I have flushed the heater core which was relatively clean and just replaced the Tbelt,water-pump, and Tstat. None of it actually helped the heat so I'm leaning towards maybe the blend door or something else as the no heat culprit. Luckily winter is pretty much over here in Texas so it will give me some time over the next few months to track it down lol.

Old 03-03-2011, 08:18 PM
1st Gear
Cool battery vent hose

thats the battery vent hose,,,,i have same heat problem im not sure how old this post is let me know of solution

Old 03-05-2011, 05:20 PM
2nd Gear

I have a couple of posts on this forum for heat problems with my 98 a4 2.8..you can look them up...as of now, no solutions....I broke down finally after 2 years, when my heat was NOT working AT ALL anymore and put IN a NEW heater core...I still have NO heat whatsoever, my hvac control seems to be working fine, my cold/hot flap is moving, and I'm at a loss as well since I have NO HEAT whatsoever, now even with a NEW heater core.....also, the AC snowflake light does NOT stay on either anymore...all vaccum lines for hvac system are intact, flaps are working....but STILL no heat (or AC now either....)...I've been through two tstat, timing belt, waterpump etc changes without ever having heat, engine temp is fine, heater core box temp fine, flow is fine....any ideas from anyone would be appreciated....

Quick Reply: 2001 2.8L Heating problems...