B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

2000 Audi A4 Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 12:03 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by bshusted
Wait. You're doing a retrofit on a car you don't drive?
Yes, I've never retroed an Audi and I found these headlights for sale at decent price so I thought why not give it a try. I'd probably end up selling these headlights.

Old 09-21-2012, 12:12 AM
2nd Gear

If you have no car to mount the lights in, how do you plan to ensure that the cutoff it straight and level? With one of the mounting points inside the light broken/missing, lining up the cutoff with the OEM projector will surely be off once you reattach it.

Even lining up the old vs. new cutoff on my projectors was off slightly and required adjustment when installed to get it right.

Old 09-21-2012, 02:32 AM
1st Gear

If you have no car to mount the lights in, how do you plan to ensure that the cutoff it straight and level? With one of the mounting points inside the light broken/missing, lining up the cutoff with the OEM projector will surely be off once you reattach it.

Even lining up the old vs. new cutoff on my projectors was off slightly and required adjustment when installed to get it right.
Very good questions!

The bottom mounting point is the pivot, so theoretically the top two should keep the orginal projectors level to the ground. That pivot point will be fixed and functional once it is done, so that you can use the OEM stock adjuster to do up/down and left/right.

You're right about the old vs new cut off being slighly off, the rotational adjustment comes in the new bracket/adaptor plate. The adaptor plate will be mounted to the refelctor by OEM mounting points plus the fabricated 4th one if need be and the projector is mounted to the bracket which will have slotted mounting points which enable you to rotate the projector from the back to do the rotational allignement.

Name:  SAM_0728.jpg
Views: 323
Size:  166.7 KB

Old 09-21-2012, 09:47 AM
2nd Gear

The stock mounting points for the projector are too close together for the FX-R (ask me how I know). I had planned to do something similar with the adapter plate. In the end I had to cut off the original mounts and fabricate 3 new ones. I'm interested to see what you end up with.

Old 09-21-2012, 11:38 AM
1st Gear

The stock mounting points for the projector are too close together for the FX-R (ask me how I know). I had planned to do something similar with the adapter plate. In the end I had to cut off the original mounts and fabricate 3 new ones. I'm interested to see what you end up with.
That might be the case, we'll see. I can also not use the exisiting stock mounting and build 3 points on the plastic housing, which will allow for up/down and rotation on the projector alone. Basically use the OEM stock adjusted to adjust high beam only. FX-R might need to be trimmed considerably to allow for extra room maybe. If the length is not sufficient, the projector shroud will be cut off and move it forward a little (1/4" or so) as long as we have clearance with the front lens. RX350 Bi-X is also a good candidated with awesome beam pattern. The worse case would be putting Mini D2S in there, which is the shortest projector I know at 5" from lens to bulb holder.

Anyway, all of this talk is just planning and I can see it happens, the reality might be different.This is alot of work I know, but what do you do when it is your hobby