B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

2000 Audi A4 Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 11:58 PM
1st Gear
Default 2000 Audi A4 Headlights

I'm newbie to Audi world and have few questions about the headlight adjustment.

I have a pair of Audi A4 headlights that I'm going to retrofit with new HID projectors since the current ones are dimmed due to burnt bowl. Took the lens apart which was done painfully due to Permaseal sealant Valeo uses on this headlight. Looks like I'm missing one adjustment point that it looks like the pivot point. Does anyone know what goes in there? or what the part number here, if anyone has spare I'd like to buy it.

Here is what the headlights apart

Old 09-18-2012, 11:40 AM
1st Gear

Anyone knows what I'm missing on the headlight's adjustment points??

Old 09-18-2012, 07:14 PM
2nd Gear

I think this is what you need. There is no Audi part#. They would sell you the whole assembly. But you'll have real trouble aiming it if the inside isn't anchored here:

Old 09-18-2012, 07:53 PM
2nd Gear

Since the OE lights are PermaSealed, when I did my retrofit, I removed part of the back of the light to allow me install the new projector.

Given the fact that your housing and lenses are in such rough shape, you may want to just get a set of Depo lights which are sealed with butyl rubber and thus can be baked open.

Which projectors are planning to use?

Old 09-19-2012, 12:14 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by mtroxel
I think this is what you need. There is no Audi part#. They would sell you the whole assembly. But you'll have real trouble aiming it if the inside isn't anchored here:

Thanks, I think I'm just going to make my own mounting then.

Old 09-19-2012, 12:25 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by bshusted
Since the OE lights are PermaSealed, when I did my retrofit, I removed part of the back of the light to allow me install the new projector.

Given the fact that your housing and lenses are in such rough shape, you may want to just get a set of Depo lights which are sealed with butyl rubber and thus can be baked open.

Which projectors are planning to use?
Well, they are pretty rough but we'll see if I can clean it well and seal it with fresh butyl and silicone after that. I might also put couple beads of welds in several places between the lens and the housing when I'm done.

Right now, there are several options but the length of the projector is the main concern since I would like to use the OEM back cap still. I'm thinking of FX-R, RX330, G37, or E55

I'm thinking of painting the bezel gun metal metallic and remove (cut) the original projector shroud with better looking ones.

Old 09-19-2012, 10:47 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by MSU2000
Well, they are pretty rough but we'll see if I can clean it well and seal it with fresh butyl and silicone after that. I might also put couple beads of welds in several places between the lens and the housing when I'm done.

Right now, there are several options but the length of the projector is the main concern since I would like to use the OEM back cap still. I'm thinking of FX-R, RX330, G37, or E55

I'm thinking of painting the bezel gun metal metallic and remove (cut) the original projector shroud with better looking ones.
Sealing the headlight will be one problem, but with the lens as foggy as it looks in that picture on your laptop, your cutoff will be blurred.

I used FX-R projectors and space was tight. I was able to reuse the back cap, but only because I am using D2s bulbs with the flat connector on the end. There is another user on here MetalMan who used the MiniH1.

Old 09-19-2012, 07:25 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by bshusted
Sealing the headlight will be one problem, but with the lens as foggy as it looks in that picture on your laptop, your cutoff will be blurred.

I used FX-R projectors and space was tight. I was able to reuse the back cap, but only because I am using D2s bulbs with the flat connector on the end. There is another user on here MetalMan who used the MiniH1.
I would take that lens down to 600 grit and bring it back up to 2000 grit before compound and polishing it. Alot of work but it should be alot better than what it is today.

Still not sure I want to go all the way with this since I don't drive Audi.

Old 09-20-2012, 12:16 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by MSU2000
Still not sure I want to go all the way with this since I don't drive Audi.
Wait. You're doing a retrofit on a car you don't drive?

Old 09-20-2012, 07:26 AM
2nd Gear

Sometimes its best not to try to make sense of the interwebs bshusted.

Quick Reply: 2000 Audi A4 Headlights