B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

2000 a4 2.8 30v

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 12:27 PM
1st Gear
Default 2000 a4 2.8 30v

So i am looking to put Eibach pro kit lowering springs on my stuck struts. Would this set up work if i purchased new rear/front OEM struts? if So how long would these work?

Old 01-29-2013, 03:50 PM
2nd Gear

I'm not sure of the spring rates on the Eibach springs, but I'm reasonably certain that it will be greater than the OEM springs, which means that the damping force will not be sufficient to reduce the oscillation of the springs. This equates the the bouncy ride that some experience with just replacing springs.

I replaced my springs with Tein S-Tech springs ~2" lowering and paired them with S4 struts. The S-Tech springs have nearly the same spring rate as the OEM S4 springs. Others have used Bilstein struts with good success as well.

Old 01-29-2013, 07:42 PM
2nd Gear

I would get Bilsteins, you'd likely end up paying more for stock struts anyway. My stock struts were perfect before I put on H&R race springs, within around 10k km's all 4 were blown to the point that they didn't extend at all by themselves. Even before they blew the ride was terrible, it was really harsh and bouncy.

Old 01-29-2013, 07:48 PM
1st Gear

Go with the Tein S. I have them on my B5 S4 with stock struts and they are firm but not bouncy. But you will have to get the S4 struts and not the A4 struts. If you get the A4 struts you will be replacing them in less than a year.

Old 01-29-2013, 07:50 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by bshusted
I'm not sure of the spring rates on the Eibach springs, but I'm reasonably certain that it will be greater than the OEM springs, which means that the damping force will not be sufficient to reduce the oscillation of the springs. This equates the the bouncy ride that some experience with just replacing springs.

I replaced my springs with Tein S-Tech springs ~2" lowering and paired them with S4 struts. The S-Tech springs have nearly the same spring rate as the OEM S4 springs. Others have used Bilstein struts with good success as well.
where could i find S4 struts or bilstein struts for my model and year? A link to a site would be appreciated.

Old 01-29-2013, 07:51 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by A4S4Detroit
Go with the Tein S. I have them on my B5 S4 with stock struts and they are firm but not bouncy. But you will have to get the S4 struts and not the A4 struts. If you get the A4 struts you will be replacing them in less than a year.
thats what i was afraid of (replacing them within a short amount of time) but yeah now i just need to find s4 struts. Do you know if ECS tuning or LLTEK would have s4 struts that are compatible with my model and year?

Old 01-29-2013, 08:11 PM
2nd Gear

I would highly recommend against using stock struts for anything other than stock springs, if you're buying new ones anyway why not buy the much, much better bilsteins? If you compare the 2 struts side by side you'll see just how much beefier the bilsteins are. Stock struts will last a couple of years at most, do you really want to do doing this again in the future?

Old 01-29-2013, 10:15 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Mad Cow
I would highly recommend against using stock struts for anything other than stock springs, if you're buying new ones anyway why not buy the much, much better bilsteins? If you compare the 2 struts side by side you'll see just how much beefier the bilsteins are. Stock struts will last a couple of years at most, do you really want to do doing this again in the future?
where can i find bilsteins struts?

Old 01-31-2013, 05:40 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by sbaer2
where can i find bilsteins struts?
Did you even try searching? They're the most popular aftermarket strut brand for the majority of german cars, there's a million different stores that sell them.

Old 01-31-2013, 07:51 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Mad Cow
Did you even try searching? They're the most popular aftermarket strut brand for the majority of german cars, there's a million different stores that sell them.

yeah ive looked on ecs tuning and lltek...cant find them. You know any sites that would carry them?

Quick Reply: 2000 a4 2.8 30v