B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

2000 A4 1.8t problems. Need help URGENT

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 06:50 PM
1st Gear
Default 2000 A4 1.8t problems. Need help URGENT

Hi guys, got some error codes I need some help with.

p1557
p0140
p1114
p1113
p1136

I know what they all read out to be, but how do I diagnose? The car is experiencing severe loss is power, rpm dives during accel, reverse works at it seems 25% power, then after like 3 seconds it "catches" and works at 100% (best way I could explain it).

So far I have replaced all the vaccuum lines and pieces I could see to have problems. There was a y shaped valve that I replaced (058 133 753B) that was broken. I have replaced the spark plugs, air filter, cleaned MAF.

I have these valves: 06b 103 245 and 035 103 245a (no idea where they go, but I was reading on a site that suggested to replace them because they cause vacuum problems.

Please help, I live far away from a dealer and mechanics here are like "audi-whaaaaaaa?"

Old 03-24-2011, 10:21 AM
1st Gear

Next time try to copy the error code and the error name together, it's easier for us to help you.

These are the errors:
P1557 - Charge Pressure Control: Positive Deviation
Possible Symptoms
* Reduced power output
* Limp mode

Possible Causes
* Boost Pressure too High
* Hoses/Pipes incorrect connected, disconnected, blocked or leaking
* Charger Pressure Control defective
o VNT (variable nozzle turbo): nozzles stuck
* Solenoid Valve for Boost Pressure Control (N75) defective

P0140/000320 - Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor B1 S2: No Activity
Possible Symptoms
* Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) faulty

Possible Causes
* Wiring/Connectors from/to Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor Bank 1 Sensor 2 faulty
* Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor Bank 1 Sensor 2 faulty

P1114/17522 - Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor; B1 S2: Internal Resistance too High

P1113 - Bank1 - Sensor1 Internal Resistance too High

P1136/004406 - Fuel Trim: Bank 1 (Add): System too Lean
Possible Solutions
* Check Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor
* Check Fuel Pressure Regulator
* Check Fuel Pump
* Check Intake/Exhaust System for Leaks
* Check Secondary Air Injection for Leaks
* Check Vacuum Lines for Leaks

So, you have problems with the oxygen sensors. You have error codes for Bank 1 Sensor 1 and Bank 1 Sensor 2 so I guess that you will have to buy both oxygen sensors. The "system too lean" error is probably caused by the bad oxygen sensors. Replace the sensors first and scan for errors again.

The error "Charge Pressure Control: Positive Deviation" is because your car goes into limp mode and that's the reason why the car is experiencing severe loss in power.

Start by cleaning the turbo and replacing the oxygen sensors and come back to us if the problem is not solved.

Good luck!

Old 03-24-2011, 11:17 AM
1st Gear

Sorry, I was late for class and was trying to hurry. Duly
Noted.

Old 03-24-2011, 11:20 AM
1st Gear

I do also have the infamous exhaust leak after the flex. Would that effect the o2 sensors? I'll order o2 sensors in the mean time, I'm pretty sure they are trashed. But before I do, how do you test them?

Old 03-24-2011, 12:02 PM
1st Gear

Another note, the vacuum line hose that goes to the diverted valve was shot, and I recently replaced. Could a prolonged period of the diverted valve vacuum line being non functional cause the dv or the turbo to fail?

Old 03-24-2011, 01:26 PM
1st Gear

And last add on, I tried searching for a write up on turbo cleaning. Anyone know of one? Or just general tips or instructions?

Old 03-24-2011, 01:45 PM
1st Gear

Maybe someone can put together all your questions in one single topic.

I don't know how to clean to turbo and I think that you should go to a dealer for this operation because it pretty complicated and for sure you won't have all the required tools.

I don't know what the "infamous exhaust leak after the flex" is, I am not american.

To test the oxygen sensors you need VAG-COM but I don't know how to explain the procedure. Buy the new sensors and let's see the result first. Take a look here for some information on the oxygen sensors: http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/cars/fuel-trim.html. The problem is that you can't say when the oxygen sensor doesn't send the correct values because this sensor checks the level of air and fuel in the exhaust and, because you can't measure them yourself, you can't double check the sensor's sent values. A "tired" oxygen sensor will show good values on VAG-COM and only other car symptoms, like low gas mileage or power loss, can make someone think this might be the problem.

I don't know what to say about the valve, I don't have a turbo car.

I got the information about the turbo cleaning (related to the error code) from a forum in my country, but it's not in english so it would be useless to give you the link.

Old 03-24-2011, 02:58 PM
1st Gear

Exhaust leak after the flex means that after the 2-3" piece of flex (right after the cat), the exhaust pipe has a crack and is leaking. I am replacing it tomorrow, I was just curious if the exhaust leak (which is after the o2 sensors), could cause prematurely failure of the o2 sensors, or problems with boost.

I found a write up on chemically cleaning turbos. From what I gathered, you use a chemical such as "easy off", unbolt the exhaust from the turbo, spray the cleaner in and very gently work the actuator and propeller to break free any build up, let it sit for a while, hook the exhaust back up, and start the car. Now I'm going to research this a lot more before attempting it, because I would hate to fubar my car because I caused it to hydrolock.

Here's where I was reading about the turbo "chemical clean." http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread...=246287&page=2 I realize its for a tdi, but the same principal should apply? Right? Or am I off the deep end here lol.

Anyone want to shed a little light on this?

Last edited by azr3al; 03-24-2011 at 03:03 PM.
Old 03-25-2011, 03:03 AM
1st Gear

I really think that you should go to a car repair shop to get a good turbo cleaning.
About the leak after the flex, I don't think that it can have anything to do with the O2 sensors and anyway the sensors get old after a while (tens of thousands of miles).

Old 03-27-2011, 06:47 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by azr3al
Exhaust leak after the flex means that after the 2-3" piece of flex (right after the cat), the exhaust pipe has a crack and is leaking. I am replacing it tomorrow, I was just curious if the exhaust leak (which is after the o2 sensors), could cause prematurely failure of the o2 sensors, or problems with boost.

I found a write up on chemically cleaning turbos. From what I gathered, you use a chemical such as "easy off", unbolt the exhaust from the turbo, spray the cleaner in and very gently work the actuator and propeller to break free any build up, let it sit for a while, hook the exhaust back up, and start the car. Now I'm going to research this a lot more before attempting it, because I would hate to fubar my car because I caused it to hydrolock.

Here's where I was reading about the turbo "chemical clean." http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread...=246287&page=2 I realize its for a tdi, but the same principal should apply? Right? Or am I off the deep end here lol.

Anyone want to shed a little light on this?
I'd do quite a bit of research before spraying easy off into my turbo...
I prob gonna have to get out into the rain n change my O2 sensor...
started pouring right after I bought it yesterday...

Quick Reply: 2000 A4 1.8t problems. Need help URGENT