B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

2.8 power

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 01:45 PM
Tech Guru

I understand that, but I'll have almost a whole year to plan and price. I have no money right now, I have to wait until after my basic and tech. training before I can actually start this project. BTW, would an intercooler bolt up fairly easily to my car? If not, I'm going to relocate the battery to the trunk and use that space for a Snow Performance 2.5 gallon methanol injection kit and also plumb my windshield reservoir into the system as well. Since I'll be running well under 30 psi, that by itself should be enough to keep the system cool.

Old 09-13-2008, 02:02 PM
Site Moderator

I hate to say it, but you are asking the wrong crowd. No one on this site, or at least no active members have a boosted 2.8 that isn't SC'd. Go ahead and ask your question on Audiworld and audizine and see what kind of feedback you get. I'm not trying to shun you, though.

Old 09-14-2008, 06:44 AM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by SuperSquid
ok, fine, I'm not sure when I mentioned ultimate power potential but ok. You win that motor has more ultimate potential. I will still say for 250-300whp I am sure it's not beneficial nor cost effective to move to that platform. Fair enough?

$5-6 grand for a ~9-10psi system making 325bhp +/- on a stock 190bhp motor is too much? Did you own a Honda before this car?
no it was actually a 400whp mustang 5.0. but that has nothing to do with anything. if anything it sounds like you owned a honda before this car. its not gona cost 5-6 grand for a custom turbo system for the 2.8

Yet the same $5grand for the roots s/c @ 6psi for 270bhp, after s/c driveline losses ~200whp is waaaay cheaper and similar results? What am I missing?
again its not gona run you 5 grand for your turbo setup, and you can get more than 200whp from the s/c

It doesn't cost much to rent a dyno for a day. I would say a decent EMS could be done for half your quote if you can do the labor and tuning yourself.
1- thats a big IF, but im sure you know all about mapping and all that
2- its roughly 600 a day IF you can do the tuning yourself and get it done in 1 day

If I am doing a single turbo why do I need to do a manifold? Actually thats one of the great benefits of doing a single on a V-block. You decidedly wouldn't do a manifold. The motor does come with a manifold of some sort on both banks, does it not?
your gona need to run piping from both the exhaust manifolds (headers) going to the exhaust housing of the turbo. i dont know what they look like on the 2.8 so i was assuming you would need to make custom manifolds to fit the piping. you might be able to do it with the stock headers. either way its going to be some crazy piping and would be much simpler with the vr6 since it has a single manifold like a straight 6.

Even at 6k and 300bhp - conservative estimates on both sides - its not ridiculously overpriced for the results. I'm not sure where you are come up with this stuff.
im not sure where your coming up with the 6k figure. its going to cost way more

Old 09-14-2008, 01:35 PM
1st Gear

Interesting thread.

I have a V6 QSM, and I'm used to seeing the engine bay.

But, after reading this, I just had to go downstairs, pull my car out of the garage, pop the hood, and stare at the engine and bay.

I thought I'd missed something, in terms of space, but I hadn't.

There's absolutely no way you're going to squeeze a couple of snails in there! Not unless you're going to mount a single with a crossover pipe - as on Euro B5 2,5TDI V6, and mount the turbo at the rear.

The hardest thing would be the software, and the CR. You'll have to run so little boost with stock internals - probably 6psi or less, it wouldn't be worth doing.

Still, good luck with your project, and keep us posted.

Old 09-14-2008, 03:44 PM
5th Gear

you can definitely fit one under there. i've seen both single and twin setups done on the 2.8. i dont feel like searching for all of them but here's a pic of what a twin setup would look like

but both of those options are going to run you a lot of money. The cheapest way of doing it is a rear mounted STS system. Here's a vid of someone who already did it

and here's a cardomain page about it- http://www.cardomain.com/ride/780860

but that setup has its downfalls. And when it comes to tuning your gona have to go with standalone. There's a guy on vortex, scott_eh4, who first started running a piggy back ems but it was causing a lot of problems so he's switching to standalone

it can definitely be done but its gona cost a lot, not produce great numbers and then you have no potential to upgrade in the future (because of the aluminum block with a 2 bolt main). but if you want to do it, go for it.

contact jonus079. last i heard he was trying to make a single turbo kit for the 2.8 at a reasonable price

Old 09-14-2008, 05:15 PM
Tech Guru

Would 2.7 internals fit my 2.8? Their only a tenth of a cube off so I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Old 09-14-2008, 05:22 PM
5th Gear

absolutely not

Old 09-14-2008, 05:28 PM
Tech Guru

Damn..... So much for that idea.

Old 09-15-2008, 04:51 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by onepoint8tee
I bet you $10 that you will never do such things to your car, ever. There is a trend to these kind of threads... n00b A comes and asks how he can get more power out of his 2.8. An overly confident n00b B chimes in and lays it all on the table about how it's so simple and cheap. n00b A gets excited and makes a bunch of outlandish claims which n00b B then has to correct. At this point n00b A is overflowing with confidence and hope and sets a date for when he'd like to get this done, yet we never hear back from n00b A, and n00b B is so sick and tired of the nay sayers, he finds a new site to post on. It's just a vicious cycle that comes and goes.... Always will
That may be, but I'm already a member of too many forums so i'm not going to find a new one.

Originally Posted by chaos92287
no it was actually a 400whp mustang 5.0. but that has nothing to do with anything. if anything it sounds like you owned a honda before this car. its not gona cost 5-6 grand for a custom turbo system for the 2.8
Ahhh, one of only a couple communities with a more diverse selectio0n of bolt on whatever you want than a honda.

again its not gona run you 5 grand for your turbo setup, and you can get more than 200whp from the s/c
That unit is able to give you more. Not much, but some. However, it doesn't look setup to give you much more than 200-220whp out of the box. It is an unintercooled kit.

You continue to say my proposed setup can't run very high boost because of the high compression ratio, but how much boost do you think you can run from that small s/c unintercooled??

your gona need to run piping from both the exhaust manifolds (headers) going to the exhaust housing of the turbo. i dont know what they look like on the 2.8 so i was assuming you would need to make custom manifolds to fit the piping. you might be able to do it with the stock headers. either way its going to be some crazy piping and would be much simpler with the vr6 since it has a single manifold like a straight 6.

It may be much more straight forward to collect out of the inline-6, but easier to do in an Audi I have to disagree with. One would first have to get that motor into the car, which is a project beyond most garage mechanics abilities in and of itself.

im not sure where your coming up with the 6k figure. its going to cost way more
As much as you may be baffled by where I am coming up with 6k I am baffled by where you say it will cost more than that. You sill have failed to give a price figure for what it may cost.

Please, if there is something I have missed, I am all ears. But I don't think for ~300-325 to the crank I need much more than I have enumerated.

Originally Posted by Siena
Interesting thread.

I have a V6 QSM, and I'm used to seeing the engine bay.

But, after reading this, I just had to go downstairs, pull my car out of the garage, pop the hood, and stare at the engine and bay.

I thought I'd missed something, in terms of space, but I hadn't.

There's absolutely no way you're going to squeeze a couple of snails in there! Not unless you're going to mount a single with a crossover pipe - as on Euro B5 2,5TDI V6, and mount the turbo at the rear.
I am talking about a single turbo. Again, a twin setup seems single minded on a motor of this displacement and only meant for good midrange with nothing on the top end.

Originally Posted by Siena
The hardest thing would be the software, and the CR. You'll have to run so little boost with stock internals - probably 6psi or less, it wouldn't be worth doing
Anything under 1bar of boost is easily done on 10.3:1 compression. It is done all over the place in a myriad of different motors. Even the 11:1 CR Honda s2000 centrifugal kits boost to 6psi on stock internals.

Originally Posted by airguard350
Would 2.7 internals fit my 2.8? Their only a tenth of a cube off so I don't see why it wouldn't work.
If you have such little knowledge of the internal workings of an otto cycle ICE I have to strongly discourage you from taking on this project.

Last edited by SuperSquid; 09-15-2008 at 04:53 PM.
Old 09-15-2008, 10:13 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by SuperSquid

Ahhh, one of only a couple communities with a more diverse selectio0n of bolt on whatever you want than a honda.
not really, but ok. and there's no reason to hate on any brand of cars. that just shows your immaturity

That unit is able to give you more. Not much, but some. However, it doesn't look setup to give you much more than 200-220whp out of the box. It is an unintercooled kit.
you can still intercool them and push more psi (it would have to be custom), but again the block isn't that strong anyways

You continue to say my proposed setup can't run very high boost because of the high compression ratio, but how much boost do you think you can run from that small s/c unintercooled??
never said it had anything to do with the compression, it has to do with the aluminum block and 2 bolt main. im sayin the supercharger kit will cost less (but also produce slightly less power)

It may be much more straight forward to collect out of the inline-6, but easier to do in an Audi I have to disagree with. One would first have to get that motor into the car, which is a project beyond most garage mechanics abilities in and of itself.
its not any more difficult than what your proposing. it bolts right up and fits perfectly in the engine bay. only a slight modification to the subframe is needed.

As much as you may be baffled by where I am coming up with 6k I am baffled by where you say it will cost more than that. You sill have failed to give a price figure for what it may cost.

Please, if there is something I have missed, I am all ears. But I don't think for ~300-325 to the crank I need much more than I have enumerated.
im too lazy right now to list the parts and prices right now, but why dont you try and tell me where your getting this 6k figure from

Quick Reply: 2.8 power