B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

2.8 power

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 11:25 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by airguard350
Well I'll go for the lvl. 10 valvebody I think I may go with a GT2052. It's rated at 225 hp, which I figure is enough for now, later I may move up to the GT30. I'll get the manifold custom made as I was going for custom headers anyways.
There is no reason to do either of the things you are proposing.

It is doing outlandish things like mentioned that cause project failures such as mentioned by everyone in this thread except me, until this point.

Like I keep saying, this is not rocket science. For modest reasonable results you don't need to "seriously engineer" anything. Just plan well, put together quality parts, don't do ridiculous things and stick to your plan.

Manifolds are something to worry about later on after you have a system completely setup and running. That would fall under the "upgrade" category. And you can't upgrade something that does not yet exist.

Last edited by SuperSquid; 09-12-2008 at 11:32 PM.
Old 09-12-2008, 11:30 PM
Tech Guru

No? So I should just get the GT30 and be done with it? I'm fairly new to turbos so I'm looking for input.

Old 09-12-2008, 11:33 PM
Tech Guru

Well which would be better? The 2052 of the 30? I thought the stock block was only good for 440 h.p. and 400 lb./ft. of torque.

Old 09-12-2008, 11:49 PM
1st Gear

Well which would be better? The 2052 of the 30? I thought the stock block was only good for 440 h.p. and 400 lb./ft. of torque.

Who ever said that? Where did those numbers come from? From what everyone in this thread says the stock block wouldn't come anywhere close to that.

Besides, what does that have to do with a low boost ~250-300whp system that I have been talking about?

A GT20 is WAY to small for a 2.8L motor. a GT25 would be have lightning quick spool but would probably run out on the top end. Again, haven't done the math or plotted anything for this motor but have for others of similar displacement. Off the top of my head I believe the GT30 would be the size to go with. But that still leaves about 10 different choices of wheels and A/R's.

Old 09-13-2008, 12:35 AM

hmmmm.....here's my .02

there was a guy on here who ran a 75 shot....he said that he did a pull with a stock S4 and sat right next to him....(he had a 2.8 30v)....

I have seen a couple 2.8 30v turbo setups....one of the set-ups was mounted back by the rear diff....I think i remember seeing a video....it was sorta quick, but it ran like **** in general, I dont think it had a tune and it was only running 5-6 psi.....

like chaos stated....the 2.8 does not take kindly to turbos....although it is possible, I would say that it would be about half as reliable, you'd basically be converting your DD into a neverending project....

S/c's on the other hand seem to be amazing on the 2.8 30v's.....I have seen tons of videos and pictures....the PES kit is a direct bolt on with a very easy install....from what I have read....with just the basic bolt ons you can easily be pushing 300 to the crank with a pes kit....

as far as an auto/tip tranny goes....if you plan on breaking the 300tq barrier, you will definitely need a LvL 10 upgrade....but, I would say it's prolly a better investment to simply pick up a manual tranny and toss it in....

if I had a 2.8, I prolly would not go with nitrous, mainly because I don't know enough about it....I would definitely go with a pes kit, and every bolt on to go along with it...

as far as tubo/s go for the 2.8....there really isn't that much space in the bay....not even enough for a couple kO4's (without tearing out every component surrounding the engine)...

If anyone is serious about running a turbo on a 2.8 30v.....here are my two words of advice.....build your motor and run stand-alone....after your motor is built to flow a turbo or two, and you have figured out how to properly adjust your standalone....then you will be ready to start custom fabbing some very interesting looking gated exhaust manifolds....

you should prolly also setup a highflow cat-back 3" exhaust system prior to the turbo install as well....

basically, if you throw a rod because you ran a couple too many psi on stock internals, you will have set yourself back just as much $ as if you just built the motor in the first place.....

the 2.8 was not built for forced induction....if you plan to run more than 7 or 8 psi, your best bet is to prepare the motor....you will be sorry if you dont....

good luck to anyone who plans to build a reliable smooth running turboed 2.8!

Old 09-13-2008, 01:02 AM
1st Gear

turbos arent good on the 2.8L because the high compression ratio, but an air intake, a chip, and a shot of nitrous you'd be in the clear. the air intakes are pretty good stock though.

Old 09-13-2008, 11:55 AM
Tech Guru

As far as a place to put it, I was just gonna tear out the airbox. That thing takes up scads of space. I probably only going to go for 10 psi anyways. And I can probably find a way to deal with the high compression ratio.

Old 09-13-2008, 12:17 PM
Site Moderator

As far as a place to put it, I was just gonna tear out the airbox. That thing takes up scads of space. I probably only going to go for 10 psi anyways. And I can probably find a way to deal with the high compression ratio.
I bet you $10 that you will never do such things to your car, ever. There is a trend to these kind of threads... n00b A comes and asks how he can get more power out of his 2.8. An overly confident n00b B chimes in and lays it all on the table about how it's so simple and cheap. n00b A gets excited and makes a bunch of outlandish claims which n00b B then has to correct. At this point n00b A is overflowing with confidence and hope and sets a date for when he'd like to get this done, yet we never hear back from n00b A, and n00b B is so sick and tired of the nay sayers, he finds a new site to post on. It's just a vicious cycle that comes and goes.... Always will

Old 09-13-2008, 12:20 PM
Tech Guru

Well, your just a happy little ball of sunshine, aren't you?

Old 09-13-2008, 01:15 PM
Site Moderator

I'm not trying to be an ***, it's just what history has proven over and over and over
and of course when I use the term "n00b" I mean n00b to the site/audis, not like you are a n00b at life

Quick Reply: 2.8 power