B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

2.8 power

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 05:08 PM
3rd Gear

ok dude, post the final project for pat in the back. And I know the possibilities of a Cummins 5.9. I got an 05 3500 and it sure is a hell of a lot faster than my 1.8

Old 09-12-2008, 05:10 PM
Site Moderator

Originally Posted by airguard350
I actually have a 30v, onepoint8tee
I was talking about the squid guy.

Old 09-12-2008, 05:20 PM
3rd Gear

Yeah same, he's the one that posted pics of one of the dirtiest engine bays eva!

Holy **** airguard! I just realized you got a tipronic!!!

Old 09-12-2008, 05:27 PM
Site Moderator

A dirty engine has nothing to do with this. Thats the worst cheap shot eva!

Old 09-12-2008, 05:38 PM
Tech Guru

Whats the max amount a tip can handle? I can always try to pirate a tip off a Porsche of something.

Old 09-12-2008, 06:43 PM
Tech Guru

Ok, I'll crumble and use F/I. I think I'm gonna start looking at Buick T-Types and pattern a system after that. Maybe start with a small Garrett off a Detroit or just find Buick turbos and use them. Ill start with one in place of the stock airbox, then maybe move to two after I get the first one worked out. I still need to iron out engine management because this will def. need more fuel than I'm flowing right now. Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

Old 09-12-2008, 08:46 PM
5th Gear

Whats the max amount a tip can handle? I can always try to pirate a tip off a Porsche of something.
quattro tip tranny can handle about 300ft lbs of tq. if your planning on going above that you have to lvl 10 the valve body then you can run whatever you want

Old 09-12-2008, 10:56 PM
1st Gear

Ok, I'll crumble and use F/I. I think I'm gonna start looking at Buick T-Types and pattern a system after that. Maybe start with a small Garrett off a Detroit or just find Buick turbos and use them. Ill start with one in place of the stock airbox, then maybe move to two after I get the first one worked out. I still need to iron out engine management because this will def. need more fuel than I'm flowing right now. Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

Doing 1 then moving to two is a waste of time. pick one setup to go after from the beginning. I would do a single. Garrett GT30. Haven't run any numbers to see what wheels or a/r's to use but thats the size for this motor.

This doesn't need to be a "marvel of engineering" project. You just have to have reasonable expectations going in. If you want 400, 500hp you are going to need to do a lot of engine work, build a more robust system and spend a TON of cash.

If you want 250-300whp that is reasonable on a stock block with good boost response and a very linear torque curve on a motor this size.

It's not rocket science.

Old 09-12-2008, 11:08 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by chaos92287
i was showing you what the engine was capable of. never said you had to run that. you said you could push just as much power out of the 2.8. which you can't.
ok, fine, I'm not sure when I mentioned ultimate power potential but ok. You win that motor has more ultimate potential. I will still say for 250-300whp I am sure it's not beneficial nor cost effective to move to that platform. Fair enough?

seems like a huge waste of money for just 10psi. the supercharger would be waaaay cheaper and give similar results
$5-6 grand for a ~9-10psi system making 325bhp +/- on a stock 190bhp motor is too much? Did you own a Honda before this car?

Yet the same $5grand for the roots s/c @ 6psi for 270bhp, after s/c driveline losses ~200whp is waaaay cheaper and similar results? What am I missing?

no i never said that. but do you have a dyno lying around to tune it?
It doesn't cost much to rent a dyno for a day. I would say a decent EMS could be done for half your quote if you can do the labor and tuning yourself.

and where do you think you are going to get this piping and manifold for your 2.8 project? the vr6 already has the manifold made for it, and you have WAY more room to place the turbo so all you have to do is fabricate a downpipe. thats a LOT easier than making your own manifold, and custom piping to stick on the stock 2.8.
If I am doing a single turbo why do I need to do a manifold? Actually thats one of the great benefits of doing a single on a V-block. You decidedly wouldn't do a manifold. The motor does come with a manifold of some sort on both banks, does it not?

have fun with your ridiculously overpriced project that will produce mediocre results and have little potential to ever achieve more. i hear that what all the smart guys choose to do too

Even at 6k and 300bhp - conservative estimates on both sides - its not ridiculously overpriced for the results. I'm not sure where you are come up with this stuff.

Old 09-12-2008, 11:17 PM
Tech Guru

Well I'll go for the lvl. 10 valvebody I think I may go with a GT2052. It's rated at 225 hp, which I figure is enough for now, later I may move up to the GT30. I'll get the manifold custom made as I was going for custom headers anyways. I personally believe that with good engineering and ingenuity this motor has actual potential. Some of you 1.8 guys are as bad as the 2.8 diehards, which I don't understand. Do you actually not want to give the engine credit or do you just not want give the owners their day in the sun?

Quick Reply: 2.8 power