B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

2.8 power

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 02:09 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by airguard350
So what your saying is, I should run twin k04s and put them where the stock airbox is and right under where the power steering reservoir is. I don't need to worry about an intercooler, I can just run methanol injection and maybe a little intercooler, or just the methanol itself. Great idea supersquid but like I said earlier, something in me just doesn't want forced induction.
That's actually not even remotely close to what I said.

Old 09-12-2008, 02:20 PM
3rd Gear

Hahahaa... this thread is hilarious. I skimmed through the whole thing and it kinda cracks me up. Make a long story short, there's a lot of idiots that talk about all the great things that can be done to the 2.8 engines but never have the ***** to try. There's plenty of threads of 2.8 passats and A4 being turbo'd. And they were all a big FAIL. Not cuz the outcome wasn't succesful, more because there are so many better and quicker ways of getting power. Not going into parts or pricing for my times sake but every 2.8 that has tried to make over 290 hp or go over 9-10psi has blown and needed to get rebuilt.

www.scaudi.com

Old 09-12-2008, 02:23 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by euro_2nr
Hahahaa... this thread is hilarious. I skimmed through the whole thing and it kinda cracks me up. Make a long story short, there's a lot of idiots that talk about all the great things that can be done to the 2.8 engines but never have the ***** to try. There's plenty of threads of 2.8 passats and A4 being turbo'd. And they were all a big FAIL. Not cuz the outcome wasn't succesful, more because there are so many better and quicker ways of getting power. Not going into parts or pricing for my times sake but every 2.8 that has tried to make over 290 hp or go over 9-10psi has blown and needed to get rebuilt.

www.scaudi.com

That's fantastic since I'm not talking about going over 9-10psi.

And, again, it's not about not having the ***** to try something. It's about money. If I had 3 or 4 grand burning a hole in my pocket I wouldn't be playing on the internet bench racing.

Old 09-12-2008, 02:25 PM
3rd Gear

The 2.8 30v has been out for 10 years and you think you're the first genius to think of this? Its been thought and TRIED. You're not special

Old 09-12-2008, 02:35 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by SuperSquid
who is talking about 40psi?? Or building an engine?? only you. I am talking about a small time, small cost kit on the existing architecture.
i was showing you what the engine was capable of. never said you had to run that. you said you could push just as much power out of the 2.8. which you can't.

Good to know, but there are plenty of aluminum blocks running 10psi, which is all I am talking about.
seems like a huge waste of money for just 10psi. the supercharger would be waaaay cheaper and give similar results

So you are saying you can build a complete motor from the ground up, and modify a subframe and put together a complete turbo system, welding and all, doing all the labor, but I can't wire up an EMS?

That's laughable considering you have no idea what I am capable of or have done in the past. You must be failing to read the parts where I have said I have already done projects like this.
no i never said that. but do you have a dyno lying around to tune it?

If it is such a crap engine and the VR4 engine is so much better how are you going to pick up a vr4 engine for 250 and yet sell the 2.8 "for some decent coin"? Doesn't make much sense to me. Sounds like you are just regurgitating a bunch of crap you read off the internet here too.
its a vr6 not a vr4, but thats beside the point. the reason you can do this is because vr6's are so common its not even funny. they placed them in so many different vw's and you can find them for 250 all day long. the 2.8 however is not that common of an engine, so people will pay more money for it. how well the engine performs has nothing to do with how much it costs. its how many of those engine's are out on the market. since you apparently know nothing of the vr6, you shouldn't talk like you do. or you end up sounding like an idiot.

yes, that makes it not a direct swap. On top of being able to wrench you are saying you need to be able to weld. VERY well! For this and for all the piping and more.
and where do you think you are going to get this piping and manifold for your 2.8 project? the vr6 already has the manifold made for it, and you have WAY more room to place the turbo so all you have to do is fabricate a downpipe. thats a LOT easier than making your own manifold, and custom piping to stick on the stock 2.8.

PLUS, if it is going to cost ME $3000 or so to wire up and get an EMS tuned, then it is going to cost you that much to as long as we are bench racing.
never said it wouldn't. and nobody is bench racing. im just trying to give you a better alternative. take my advice or dont, i really couldn't give a ****

Just because someone threw enough money at something to win doesn't necessarily make it the best choice, but whatever thats not real important. I will hand it to them, they did build a fine car. But there is also a TON of dollars an man hours under the hood of that thing.
lmao. most the cars it beat cost way more than that whole project.

You are not going to run 25psi on pump gas daily on 9:1 compression. Not even the crazy ******* Evo guys run 25psi daily and they have 8.x:1 compression. You are out of your mind and obviously can't do simple math nor have ever actually built anything like this before. Don't believe everything you read on the intr4netz.
there are plenty of audi guys running 25psi daily on their BT'd a4's with no problems, and i've seen a few in person. i even run mine at 25psi daily (tho i have a smaller turbo than them). and i actually have done projects like this already so dont make assumptions about me either. but i see no point in needing to brag or validate myself to you, so im not about to talk about them.

have fun with your ridiculously overpriced project that will produce mediocre results and have little potential to ever achieve more. i hear that what all the smart guys choose to do too

Old 09-12-2008, 02:36 PM
Site Moderator

From the looks of those pics, he has a 12v, not a 30v.

Old 09-12-2008, 02:51 PM
3rd Gear

I noticed that... I was hoping he wasn't talking bout his own 2.8

Old 09-12-2008, 03:03 PM
3rd Gear

I noticed that... I was hoping he wasn't talking bout his own 2.8

Old 09-12-2008, 04:34 PM
Tech Guru

I actually have a 30v, onepoint8tee, and I really do want to do this, just for the sake of doing it. For all others out there, I may be a bit of a dreamer, but I'm sure as hell not an idiot. Idiots pump avgas into their stock motor, clog the injectors and blow the damn thing sky high. I just enjoy pushing the envelope. I never said it was going to work but I do like SuperSquid's posts, it gives me a feel for how much I'll be putting into this car. If I can I'm going to try to get a job on my base as a tech in my MOS. It's full time 25-30 bucks an hour, which should give me plenty to pump into this project. I also plan on doing ALL my homework on this motor and in particular the block itself so I can see whether it would be more beneficial to run N/A or F/I. Again, for all the naysayers out there; do the world a favor and go kill yourselves. If I wanted this to be easy I'd say **** it and go buy a 1.8T or drop a chevy 350 into my current ride. Hell, if I wanted to make it even easier I'd get a Cummins and pump 110 psi through it w/o even touching the stock studs.It's the challenge of it, the pure engineering challenge that drives me. The thought of making this motor do what very few could and even fewer said was possible. O, and I think I'm going to leave it looking bone stock, ya know, just make even more jaws drop.

Old 09-12-2008, 04:55 PM
Tech Guru

SuperSquid, where are you located? In about a year or so I wanna get together with you and bounce ideas and make something happen.

Quick Reply: 2.8 power