B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

2.8 power

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 11:38 PM
4th Gear

after all these years, the cheapest mod and least painful is sell the 2.8 for a 1.8t and/or S4

Old 09-12-2008, 12:18 AM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by SuperSquid
Stock block, 40psi, pump fuel?

under 10grand? hahaha. I'm talking about half of that.

For that you might as well take your money and put a down payment on a better/faster car.

The pistons are aligned differently? Please, do explain.
here's the 034 vr6-t time attack car- http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3400963
40psi dyno- http://forums.fourtitude.com/zerothr...int&id=3432274

if your turbo'ing your 2.8 you will spend over 10 grand, i guarantee that

and normal v-style engine have their pistons at an angle of 45 degrees. a vr6 engine has its pistons at 10.6 or 15 degrees.

Old 09-12-2008, 12:49 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by chaos92287
Oh give me a break.

That's not even remotely close to a stock motor. If you spent that kind of money on ANY motor you could blow 40psi into it. There is more than your quoted 10grand into that project before you even think about putting the motor in the car.

That is in no way a direct swap, or easy, or cheap. It would be easier and cheaper to turbo the motor you have.

how many f/i cars have you built from scratch to know that? Rather how many 2.8L Audi turbos have you built to know that? What parts are going to cost you that much money? I'm just curious because the parts I am looking at, and have used in the past don't cost nearly that much.

and normal v-style engine have their pistons at an angle of 45 degrees. a vr6 engine has its pistons at 10.6 or 15 degrees.

You know what the deal with that is? It may technically have a V-and be slightly offset but all the exhaust ports are on the same side of the motor, such as an i6. Similar to a 2jz. So you put a single equal length manifold and single turbo on. This will allow you to spool a much larger turbo more quickly. Wouldn't be my choice for a time attack car because the length and weight. Would make for a hell of a 400m motor. But that's just me. Either way to do anything like what you have linked will cost you....a LOT....of money. $15-$20 grand. Probably more.

And after all that you do not have a daily streetable car. To blow 40psi into a 9:1 motor they are using high octane race fuel. No question about it. Probably some meth? That's not a streetable daily car.

BTW typical v motors are somewhere in the 75-90* offset range. 45* is a harley v-twin motor and other small engines.

What I am talking about is $3-6grand depending on how deep you want to go, 250-300whp, maybe a bit more and a car with every day pump gas driveability. It's really not that difficult to do. It's downright childs play as compared to what you have linked.

Old 09-12-2008, 12:55 AM
1st Gear

here's the 034 vr6-t time attack car- http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3400963
40psi dyno- http://forums.fourtitude.com/zerothr...int&id=3432274

Just to add, that is a hell of a project and a lot of power.

but it's not streetable @ 40psi and it's not cheap and easy.

Old 09-12-2008, 10:47 AM
1st Gear

This is childs play. A turbo goes where the enormous airbox is at on the passenger side. I forgot how much space this thing takes up.

Name:  IMG_6660.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  118.4 KB
Name:  IMG_6661.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  124.9 KB

Conversely it could be put down on the drivers side down in the gaping hole behind the right side grill.

Name:  IMG_6662.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  104.3 KB
Name:  IMG_6663.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  40.6 KB

Old 09-12-2008, 11:04 AM
Tech Guru

So what your saying is, I should run twin k04s and put them where the stock airbox is and right under where the power steering reservoir is. I don't need to worry about an intercooler, I can just run methanol injection and maybe a little intercooler, or just the methanol itself. Great idea supersquid but like I said earlier, something in me just doesn't want forced induction.

Old 09-12-2008, 11:09 AM
Tech Guru

Plus, how much power can the stock tip actually handle?

Old 09-12-2008, 11:35 AM
Site Moderator

Where are you going to run the pipe from the other manifold?

Old 09-12-2008, 01:00 PM
5th Gear

o dear christ

Originally Posted by SuperSquid
Oh give me a break.

That's not even remotely close to a stock motor. If you spent that kind of money on ANY motor you could blow 40psi into it.
never said it was, but your talking about building your 2.8 anyways. and keep thinkin that you can run 40psi on any motor. you think its only the internals that are under stress? there are plenty of engines out there that couldn't even come close to takin 40psi out of a gt35r, even with built internals. a statement like that just proves how little you really know

the reason why the 2.8 isn't desirable to push that much power is because its an aluminum block with a 2 bolt main. not very strong at all.

There is more than your quoted 10grand into that project before you even think about putting the motor in the car.
no there isn't. if your doing the work yourself it should cost just over 10 grand on a stock a4

1) VR6 Engine = $500US (for the sake of argument)
(6) Forged JE Pistons @ 140 a piece = 840
(1) Cylinder Head gasket set = 127.20
(1) Set of AntiFriction Mains & Rod bearings = 200
http://www.034motorsport.com/product...roducts_id=952
(1) Head Stud set = 248
http://www.034motorsport.com/product...roducts_id=799
(1) Main stud set = 155
http://www.034motorsport.com/product...roducts_id=777
(1) Rod bolt set = 120
(1) 034 Motorsport VR6 flywheel = 450
(1) 034 Motorsport VR6 starter motor = 450
(1) VR5 adapter plate = 235
http://www.034motorsport.com/product...roducts_id=665
(1) 034 MS fuel rail = 95
http://www.034motorsport.com/product...oducts_id=1221
(1) Valve spring set + retainers = 285
http://www.034motorsport.com/product...roducts_id=618
(1) VR6 turbo manifold = 150US
(1) VR6 intake manifold = 800US
(1) 034EFI Stage IIc = 1750
(1) Set of techtonics cams 288* = 495
(1) Garrett GT3582R = 1395

Total so far = 8295.20

yeah the 12v vr6 engine shouldn't run you more than 250, so that would bring the price down to 8 g's but you also gotta add a FMIC, bov, wg, piping, and minor custom work to subframe, etc...and we haven't even started talking about suspension and bbk. And since you don't feel the need to upgrade those since you would drive "responsibly" your looking at, at most, 10 grand. And you can sell your 2.8 for some decent coin as well

That is in no way a direct swap, or easy, or cheap. It would be easier and cheaper to turbo the motor you have.
yes it is. the only thing that doesn't make it a direct swap (like a honda), is minor modifications to the subframe. i listed all the parts above that you need.

how many f/i cars have you built from scratch to know that? Rather how many 2.8L Audi turbos have you built to know that? What parts are going to cost you that much money? I'm just curious because the parts I am looking at, and have used in the past don't cost nearly that much.
i already listed why in a previous post. go back and read it. your seriously underestimating the cost.

You know what the deal with that is? It may technically have a V-and be slightly offset but all the exhaust ports are on the same side of the motor, such as an i6. Similar to a 2jz. So you put a single equal length manifold and single turbo on. This will allow you to spool a much larger turbo more quickly. Wouldn't be my choice for a time attack car because the length and weight. Would make for a hell of a 400m motor. But that's just me. Either way to do anything like what you have linked will cost you....a LOT....of money. $15-$20 grand. Probably more.
well considering it WON the time attack its first time out. i'd say it was a good choice.

And after all that you do not have a daily streetable car. To blow 40psi into a 9:1 motor they are using high octane race fuel. No question about it. Probably some meth? That's not a streetable daily car.
never said you had to run 40psi and high octane fuel. you could run 25psi and 93 octane all day long and still produce way better numbers than with your 2.8

BTW typical v motors are somewhere in the 75-90* offset range. 45* is a harley v-twin motor and other small engines.
actually the most common are 60, 90, and 120.

What I am talking about is $3-6grand depending on how deep you want to go, 250-300whp, maybe a bit more and a car with every day pump gas driveability. It's really not that difficult to do. It's downright childs play as compared to what you have linked.
the cost of buying, installing, and tuning the standalone is around 3 grand in itself. you are dreaming. unless you wana try and run it on megasquirt or sumthin and tune it yourself and have it run like **** and blow up on you.

Old 09-12-2008, 02:07 PM
1st Gear

never said it was, but your talking about building your 2.8 anyways. and keep thinkin that you can run 40psi on any motor. you think its only the internals that are under stress? there are plenty of engines out there that couldn't even come close to takin 40psi out of a gt35r, even with built internals. a statement like that just proves how little you really know
who is talking about 40psi?? Or building an engine?? only you. I am talking about a small time, small cost kit on the existing architecture.

the reason why the 2.8 isn't desirable to push that much power is because its an aluminum block with a 2 bolt main. not very strong at all.
Good to know, but there are plenty of aluminum blocks running 10psi, which is all I am talking about.

no there isn't. if your doing the work yourself it should cost just over 10 grand on a stock a4
the cost of buying, installing, and tuning the standalone is around 3 grand in itself. you are dreaming. unless you wana try and run it on megasquirt or sumthin and tune it yourself and have it run like **** and blow up on you.

So you are saying you can build a complete motor from the ground up, and modify a subframe and put together a complete turbo system, welding and all, doing all the labor, but I can't wire up an EMS?

That's laughable considering you have no idea what I am capable of or have done in the past. You must be failing to read the parts where I have said I have already done projects like this.

yeah the 12v vr6 engine shouldn't run you more than 250, so that would bring the price down to 8 g's but you also gotta add a FMIC, bov, wg, piping, and minor custom work to subframe, etc...and we haven't even started talking about suspension and bbk. And since you don't feel the need to upgrade those since you would drive "responsibly" your looking at, at most, 10 grand. And you can sell your 2.8 for some decent coin as well
If it is such a crap engine and the VR4 engine is so much better how are you going to pick up a vr4 engine for 250 and yet sell the 2.8 "for some decent coin"? Doesn't make much sense to me. Sounds like you are just regurgitating a bunch of crap you read off the internet here too.

yes it is. the only thing that doesn't make it a direct swap (like a honda), is minor modifications to the subframe. i listed all the parts above that you need.

yes, that makes it not a direct swap. On top of being able to wrench you are saying you need to be able to weld. VERY well! For this and for all the piping and more.

PLUS, if it is going to cost ME $3000 or so to wire up and get an EMS tuned, then it is going to cost you that much to as long as we are bench racing.

well considering it WON the time attack its first time out. i'd say it was a good choice.

Just because someone threw enough money at something to win doesn't necessarily make it the best choice, but whatever thats not real important. I will hand it to them, they did build a fine car. But there is also a TON of dollars an man hours under the hood of that thing.

never said you had to run 40psi and high octane fuel. you could run 25psi and 93 octane all day long and still produce way better numbers than with your 2.8
You are not going to run 25psi on pump gas daily on 9:1 compression. Not even the crazy ******* Evo guys run 25psi daily and they have 8.x:1 compression. You are out of your mind and obviously can't do simple math nor have ever actually built anything like this before. Don't believe everything you read on the intr4netz.

Quick Reply: 2.8 power