B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

2.8 power

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 07:41 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by onepoint8tee
You mean for the 2.8? Other than a N/A chip that a couple companies offer that just tweaks the fuel and timing a little, and whatever PES offers with their SC, I have no idea. I'm pretty sure you gotta get seperate management from the ECU to accomplish anything more than those 2 things.

Are you considering the limited amount of space you have to work with as far as modifying manifolds and mounting a turbo(s)?? The 2.8 is crammed. Unless it's a rear mount, you are going to have a bitch of a time making anything fit close to the motor.

I haven't taken much of a look under the hood or around the bottom of the engine bay yet.

But If I can fit a snail on a sportbike and an mp90 on an rx8, you could get something in the engine bay of an a4. I'm sure of it.

And looking at the numbers on the PES kit and looking up the stock output on the 30v it looks like they are probably running ~6psi.

270bhp advertised by PES/190bhp stock = ~1.42bar = ~6psi. Which is about the limit of what you can do unintercooled on a 10.3:1 compression motor. They say they do ecu tuning in their product description. If they have the capability they should be able to make a tune for any application that rolls in the doors to their shop.

I personally think their kit is a bit expensive for a low boost unintercooled kit. These usually go for ~3-3500 in other communities with the intercooled higher boost kit being 5-6k. But I guess if you are the only game in town you can do whatever you want.

Old 09-11-2008, 07:43 PM
1st Gear

You mean for the 2.8? Other than a N/A chip that a couple companies offer that just tweaks the fuel and timing a little, and whatever PES offers with their SC, I have no idea. I'm pretty sure you gotta get seperate management from the ECU to accomplish anything more than those 2 things.

Are you considering the limited amount of space you have to work with as far as modifying manifolds and mounting a turbo(s)?? The 2.8 is crammed. Unless it's a rear mount, you are going to have a bitch of a time making anything fit close to the motor.

We don't have hardly any SC 2.8 members. Info on that is not so easy to come by around here. A supercharger isnt creating the heat that a turbo does, thats one reason an IC isn't necessary.
Email PES if you want but I would bet money its a 5-6psi pulley.

Not true. Anything that compresses air will heat it up. And a roots blower is particularly inefficient compared to a properly sized turbo, meaning it will heat the air up MORE at the same pressure ratio.

The snail will heat up more than the s/c unit itself, thats true, but that doesn't have much to do with the need for an intercooler.

Old 09-11-2008, 07:45 PM
Site Moderator

Idk man. But before we take this thread much further I suggest you take a good look under the hood of your car and get a feel for whats possible as far as the space limitaitions go. Fitment for this setup is not as simple as you are trying to suggest.

Old 09-11-2008, 07:48 PM
1st Gear

Idk man. But before we take this thread much further I suggest you take a good look under the hood of your car and get a feel for whats possible as far as the space limitaitions go. Fitment for this setup is not as simple as you are trying to suggest.
Not necessary. Like I said, turbo on a sportbike under the plastics is going to be MUCH harder than this.

You may have to relocate a battery or an air box but thats no big deal.

Old 09-11-2008, 08:03 PM
Site Moderator

Just keep in mind that you arent the first creative and resourceful person who has come along suggesting that turboing a 2.8 (in a non rear mount fashion) is simply a matter of fabing and moving things around. I admire your confidence, but saying that it's not necessary to take a look under the hood in order to deem it possible is borderline ignorance. No offense man, like I said, I admire your approach If it were a straight 6 or even a transversely mounted v6 things would be totally different.

Last edited by onepoint8tee; 09-11-2008 at 08:07 PM.
Old 09-11-2008, 08:06 PM
5th Gear

Cant add any more to the guide after the forum switch. There is a max character count for posts, and it has been exceeded. You'll have to do it another way if you want to add more. **** if you want you can take it uppon yourself to create new 2.8 specific sticky. I don't have the knowledge or resources to put a good one together. I was asking people to send me stuff, and some did, but what it comes down to is where to source the hardware and tune to support a turbo(s)

and welcome back!
ooh well that sux. i'll start doing more research and put together one.

and thanx, i finally moved into my apartment in orlando so i'll be back on a lot more

Old 09-11-2008, 08:25 PM
Tech Slut

good luck man... you will need so many things and the cost will add up so quick you have no idea... then you will be facing fitting everything in the car...

standalone
injectors
fuel pump
headers
downpipe + exhaust
turbo
wastegate
intercooler
blowoff
intake
internals
clutch + flywheel
suspension
brakes

just to name a few off the top of my head... theres so much more too... good luck is all I ave to say

Old 09-11-2008, 08:33 PM
Tech Guru

Listen, I got a buddy who's family's in the business of turbos. They build sick turbo muscle cars and dragsters, they also run the Flashlight drags in my area (Zeilienople woot!). I'm sure if I wanted to hack **** up he could fit a turbo wherever. He's actually been nagging at me to run a twin turbo set-up. In fact thinking about it now, I could fit a decent size remote turbo in the area where my resonator was before I cut it out. It's just that something in me doesn't want to do forced induction.

Old 09-11-2008, 08:37 PM
Tech Guru

I didn't think this tread would get any replies at all. I thought one person would tell I'm SOL and that would be it. After I get back from basic I'm hittin up some friends and contacts and gettin some custom work done. I'm going to stick to N/A if I can.

Old 09-11-2008, 10:10 PM
1st Gear

but saying that it's not necessary to take a look under the hood in order to deem it possible is borderline ignorance. No offense man, like I said, I admire your approach If it were a straight 6 or even a transversely mounted v6 things would be totally different.
Well I would agree that it was ignorance on my part if I were saying I knew how to do it w/o having looked in there. Right not, I have no idea where I would put it. I'm simply saying I'm confident there is room for the snail I am thinking of based on past experiences. At this point it is all just academic as I won't be sinking any money into performance until I get a couple other things sorted. Now if someone wanted me to do it for them I probably would do it for just more than the cost of parts.

Originally Posted by FasterA4ThanUrs
good luck man... you will need so many things and the cost will add up so quick you have no idea... then you will be facing fitting everything in the car...

standalone
injectors
fuel pump
headers
downpipe + exhaust
turbo
wastegate
intercooler
blowoff
intake
internals
clutch + flywheel
suspension
brakes

just to name a few off the top of my head... theres so much more too... good luck is all I ave to say

There are a few things I would take off your list.

If you are street driving in a halfway responsible fashion there would be no need to do brakes or suspension.

If you are keeping the boost under, say 10-12psi you can skip internals unless they really are that weak. I would bet they would take 10psi.

There really would be no reason to do headers.

All this stuff is fair game but that is all above and beyond what you would need for a basic kit.

This is the list I would start with for ~5-6psi

engine management
turbo
up & down pipes
charge piping + silicone couplers
intake piping
filter
worn gear clamps (t-bolts if you feel)
various hardware (nuts, bolts, etc)

Maybe $3500 + cost of a tune depending on what kinda gear you want to buy. Say $4000 in total?

To run 8-12 psi
external wastegate + plumbing
intercooler
injectors
fuel pump
clutch
larger radiator
trans cooler for auto cars.
maybe an engine oil cooler

Add another $1500-2000 maybe?

add gauges at whatever point you like.
water temp, oil temp, oil pressure, boost, egt, fuel pressure

figure $5-600 for gauges

Then rebuild the engine with 9-9.5:1 compression, forged connecting rods and pistons and shoot the moon for anything over a bar. ~17psi probably safe on pump gas.

sky is the limit on this one.

All in all you could probably run ~8-10 psi on a modest turbo setup for $5-6grand and have in the neighborhood of 275-300whp. Maybe more but I am using low efficiencies for everything.

Guessing the aforementioned s/c kit is good to ~210-220whp for the same 5k??

I've put together and fabbed up custom s/c kits for rx8's, I have a pretty decent idea of what can be done. I'm not some 17 y/o talking out of my *** with no experience.

Quick Reply: 2.8 power