B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

2.8 power

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 10:46 PM
Tech Guru

People are still posting on this thread? Huh! Who would have guessed.....

Old 09-18-2008, 10:48 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by SuperSquid
Mass is universal?????

What is that even supposed to mean?

You have got to be kidding me.

If you want to get technical weight is mass with a force, such as gravity, applied to it.
your mass is universally constant. it cannot be changed but your weight can. you said why in your last statement.

Old 09-18-2008, 10:50 PM
3rd Gear

imagine that huh? so about that 2.8 power... exhaust is probably what will make you most satisfied with the car. water/meth injection is a good idea in any car too, you might even be able to get another few degrees of timing with it.

Old 09-18-2008, 10:50 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by ghost6303
if you had read the first two paragraphs of what i said it was correct in there.
no. its not. not even close. its so far from being correct its very difficult to even decipher what you are saying.

no i wasnt learning about cubic feet in second grade and i doubt you were either. i was playing with leggos and counting straws.
You may not have been learning about cubif feet but you should have known that feet is not a measurement of mass. That, i know for sure, is something taught in primary school.

i never said anything insulting about anything you said, im not exactly sure why the **** your so offensive. i was trying to clear up an argument over some terms. arguing on the internet makes you look like the idiot. im here to learn about cars if you want to argue go to the local bar, find a dude smaller then you and punch him in the mouth. if someone disagrees with you, correct them with facts or concede you are wrong, its not that hard.
Well i continue to give you facts, math, physics and you continue to post garbage that makes no sense. You can either sit down, shut up and learn something, like you say you are here to do or consider this your punch in the mouth.

edit: what he means is mass is constant, weight is relative to gravity. now since were all on the same earth, weight is going to be the same.

no mass is not weight.
No, in terms of theoretical physics, mass is not weight. But in the practical application of measuring air flow through an engine the mass flow is measured in weight. BECAUSE, as you pointed out we are all on the same earth, henceforth gravity has the same effect on everything. Ergo a mass can AND IS ALWAYS described by units of weight relative to the gravity of the earth and corresponding to, or representing, it's mass.

weight of an object = mass * gravity.

gravity is a constant, for all intents and purposes unless you want to make the math more complicated that it needs to be.

So for the sake of conversation and sanity

weight = mass.

the only time when this is not precise enough is in a physics class, but even then does not make anything happen which you are trying to say happens, such as CFM being a measure of mass. It's just not. It never will be. Go learn you a book.

Old 09-18-2008, 10:58 PM
Tech Guru

imagine that huh? so about that 2.8 power... exhaust is probably what will make you most satisfied with the car. water/meth injection is a good idea in any car too, you might even be able to get another few degrees of timing with it.
Thanks, I appreciate the input. I know I need to open that bitch up and make it breathe better, but I have no money right now..... I have to wait till after I get back from basic and tech school, that's when I'll have some cash. It's nice to know someone out there actually remembered the original topic and isn't busy arguing about CFM. BTW, I wonder if this thread is close to setting a site record on amount of posts.....

Old 09-18-2008, 10:59 PM
5th Gear

o dear god. air is a compressible gas, and therefore its volume can be changed. so CFM is measured in MASS not volume or else the term would be ambiguous and not constant

Old 09-18-2008, 11:01 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by airguard350
Thanks, I appreciate the input. I know I need to open that bitch up and make it breathe better, but I have no money right now..... I have to wait till after I get back from basic and tech school, that's when I'll have some cash. It's nice to know someone out there actually remembered the original topic and isn't busy arguing about CFM. BTW, I wonder if this thread is close to setting a site record on amount of posts.....
nah theres threads that have gone for 50 pages lol. im done posting here these kids can duke it out.

Old 09-18-2008, 11:11 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by chaos92287
o dear god. air is a compressible gas, and therefore its volume can be changed. so CFM is measured in MASS not volume or else the term would be ambiguous and not constant
Compressing it, as a turbo or supercharger would, does not change the volume. The volume is determined by the container.

There are 2 ways to look at it

1) You could talk about a certain volume of Air.

A 1 cubic foot box of air is compressed to twice atmospheric pressure. And for simplicities sake we say it is not heated. At that point you have the same mass of air but it's volume would now be half of what it was before you compressed it.

2) The compressed air will still fill the same amount of space. That space will just have a higher density.

I'm really not sure what your problem is in understand this. It's very basic and very intuitive.

I think I see this is where you are hanging up. You cannot compress something without affecting it's volume. To compress something and still fill the original volume you must add more than you originally had.

Old 09-18-2008, 11:41 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by SuperSquid

A 1 cubic foot box of air is compressed to twice atmospheric pressure. And for simplicities sake we say it is not heated. At that point you have the same mass of air but it's volume would now be half of what it was before you compressed it.
temperature was my whole point earlier. re-read that post. when its colder and denser it is moving more CFM, because there is more MASS moving through. get it now?

2) The compressed air will still fill the same amount of space. That space will just have a higher density.
exactly, and that means more CFM. if you were right then all turbo's would flow the same CFM, and that statement is a joke.

I think I see this is where you are hanging up. You cannot compress something without affecting it's volume.
you just contradicted your first statement.

To compress something and still fill the original volume you must add more than you originally had.
exactly, you add more mass, hence a higher CFM.

Old 09-18-2008, 11:46 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by chaos92287

exactly, you add more mass, hence a higher CFM.
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH@@@@@@!!!!

NOOOOO!

Higher MASS, yes. Same CFM. Mass is not space. Cubic feet is NOT effected by density. More lbs/minute in the same space, higher DENSITY.

Quick Reply: 2.8 power