B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

2.8 power

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 04:26 AM
3rd Gear

what you need to do - remove your ac and put in this puppy

and then convert it to this

</thread>

Old 09-16-2008, 05:04 AM
5th Gear

vr6 has way better aftermarket, are much cheaper, produce better power, and easier to come across. not to mention the last I5 made was over a decade ago. i used to want an I5 but the vr6 is just an all around better choice

Old 09-16-2008, 10:29 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by chaos92287

last time i checked 5g's is cheaper than 7
yes and 6psi is less than 10. I can do my 5-6 psi for cheaper than 5.

what's dumb is spending 7 grand into a motor with little potential.
So lets spend 10 grand to get a motor in so we can spend 10 more to **** around with it

This is ridiculous. All this was about is if someone wanted 300hp. not 500. If you want that kinda power, cheaply, you are in the wrong car.

yeah cause everyone has a mandrel bender...
that's why i quoted what it would cost to have it done at a shop. derrrr.

lines, clamps, and intercooler are gona cost you more than that.
not.

you forgot a bov and gauges.
bovs are toys. No need for one. Gauges, sure add them on afterward if you want them. They are also not entirely necessary and b the same token you didn't add them to your list either. Same rules.

and im wondering how your gona run the turbo w/out a wastegate at first.

The GT30 has an integral wastegate that is perfectly suitable for 5-6psi. You really don't know **** about **** do you?

[QUOTE=chaos92287;949621]not to mention i doubt the stock fueling system is gona run well even with only 5-6psi.[quote]

If the stock fueling system didn't have enough extra capacity/durability for .42 bar they would be failing left and right. OEM's ALWAYS build overhead into all of their systems.

Old 09-16-2008, 01:57 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by onepoint8tee
I bet you $10 that you will never do such things to your car, ever. There is a trend to these kind of threads... n00b A comes and asks how he can get more power out of his 2.8. An overly confident n00b B chimes in and lays it all on the table about how it's so simple and cheap. n00b A gets excited and makes a bunch of outlandish claims which n00b B then has to correct. At this point n00b A is overflowing with confidence and hope and sets a date for when he'd like to get this done, yet we never hear back from n00b A, and n00b B is so sick and tired of the nay sayers, he finds a new site to post on. It's just a vicious cycle that comes and goes.... Always will
I LMAO at this post. I gotta say I agree. This must've happened 3 times on AF this month already. There's a few on AZ as well, just not as confident. Good observation.

Old 09-17-2008, 02:11 AM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by SuperSquid

So lets spend 10 grand to get a motor in so we can spend 10 more to **** around with it

This is ridiculous. All this was about is if someone wanted 300hp. not 500. If you want that kinda power, cheaply, you are in the wrong car.
why would you need another 10 grand? with the first 10 grand your already easily capable of over 600whp. and if you think you cant make power cheaply with these cars, then you obviously dont have enough experience with them

not.
umm...yeah

bovs are toys. No need for one. Gauges, sure add them on afterward if you want them. They are also not entirely necessary and b the same token you didn't add them to your list either. Same rules.
toys? what's gona happen when the tb closes and the boost has nowhere to go except back to your compressor wheel causing surging and damaging it. an anti-surge housing can only account for so much...

The GT30 has an integral wastegate that is perfectly suitable for 5-6psi. You really don't know **** about **** do you?
yeah your right, i dont know ****, and im sure everyone else on this site will say the same thing. you talked about an external wastegate when you upped the boost so i assumed your weren't getting an internally wastegated turbo. not to mention an internal wg isn't that smart on a gt30. and how do you plan on running it both internally and externally wastegated? sounds like YOU dont know ****.

If the stock fueling system didn't have enough extra capacity/durability for .42 bar they would be failing left and right. OEM's ALWAYS build overhead into all of their systems.
its .42 bar out of a GT30. bar/psi isn't the same for all turbo's.

Old 09-17-2008, 09:30 AM
1st Gear

toys? what's gona happen when the tb closes and the boost has nowhere to go except back to your compressor wheel causing surging and damaging it. an anti-surge housing can only account for so much...
Well, until they became so popular with 17 y/o's that "wanted the sound" the STi and the evo didn't use a stock BOV. As a matter of fact I don't believe any of the other subaru turbo car's use BOV's. Did the old DSM turbos use them? Do the ******* audi 1.8t's use them????? hmm, they may not be as necessary as one would be led to believe me thinks.

yeah your right, i dont know ****, and im sure everyone else on this site will say the same thing. you talked about an external wastegate when you upped the boost so i assumed your weren't getting an internally wastegated turbo. not to mention an internal wg isn't that smart on a gt30. and how do you plan on running it both internally and externally wastegated? sounds like YOU dont know ****.

you're not. you're going to run internally @ 6psi and externally @10. I'm not real sure where you are having difficulty with this concept. I mean, it's surely more difficult than modifying the subframe of a car to accept a new motor and be sure that it's structurally sound enough to fall apart, but.....its not THAT difficult.

its .42 bar out of a GT30. bar/psi isn't the same for all turbo's.
you mean 6psi isn't really 6psi? 375cfm is not 375cfm?? 36lbs/minute is not 36lbs/minute???? Brilliant!

Now if you are saying the charge will be more desnse out of a GT 30 than say a gt25 because it is more efficient, then I'm on board. However if you are correctly using a wastegate you will still only get 6psi. The smaller, less efficient turbo will just have to work harder to get there.

Old 09-18-2008, 12:41 AM
5th Gear

Well, until they became so popular with 17 y/o's that "wanted the sound" the STi and the evo didn't use a stock BOV. As a matter of fact I don't believe any of the other subaru turbo car's use BOV's. Did the old DSM turbos use them? Do the ******* audi 1.8t's use them????? hmm, they may not be as necessary as one would be led to believe me thinks.
they use either a dv or bov. bov is cheaper cause of less fabrication. either way you have to release the boost when the throttle body closes or you get compressor surge

you're not. you're going to run internally @ 6psi and externally @10. I'm not real sure where you are having difficulty with this concept. I mean, it's surely more difficult than modifying the subframe of a car to accept a new motor and be sure that it's structurally sound enough to fall apart, but.....its not THAT difficult.
you dont run both internal and external wastegates. you would have to switch to an external one and that would require a block off plate, removing the flapper valve and other internals, get a flange welded to your exhaust manifold, and then fabricating the piping for that.

you mean 6psi isn't really 6psi? 375cfm is not 375cfm?? 36lbs/minute is not 36lbs/minute???? Brilliant!

Now if you are saying the charge will be more desnse out of a GT 30 than say a gt25 because it is more efficient, then I'm on board. However if you are correctly using a wastegate you will still only get 6psi. The smaller, less efficient turbo will just have to work harder to get there.
psi and cfm aren't the same out of different turbos.

Old 09-18-2008, 12:55 AM
1st Gear

psi and cfm aren't the same out of different turbos.
Wrong. Volume and mass flows can differ due to density resulting from efficiency. PSI and CFM are directly related. CFM above what the motor can take in under it's own natural aspiration creates positive pressure, measured in PSI or bar. Twice the volume that the engine displaces (assuming 100% VE) will cause 1 bar of boost (~14.7PSI @ standard pressure and density) regardless of what blower is, or is not used to create this natural atmosphere. To argue against that is to argue against physics.

Old 09-18-2008, 01:47 AM
5th Gear

Wrong. Volume and mass flows can differ due to density resulting from efficiency. PSI and CFM are directly related. CFM above what the motor can take in under it's own natural aspiration creates positive pressure, measured in PSI or bar. Twice the volume that the engine displaces (assuming 100% VE) will cause 1 bar of boost (~14.7PSI @ standard pressure and density) regardless of what blower is, or is not used to create this natural atmosphere. To argue against that is to argue against physics.
its all about temperature. High temps make air expand and produce more pressure in the same volume. a smaller turbo will push 15 PSI, but have an output temp of 275 F, while a larger turbo will push 15 PSI and have an output temp of only 225 degrees. Lower temp air is more dense, so the larger turbo moves more CFM of air than the smaller turbo, even though pressure is the same.

Old 09-18-2008, 08:28 AM
1st Gear

Thank you for restating that.

so the larger turbo moves more CFM of air than the smaller turbo, even though pressure is the same.
but this part is wrong. The volume (CFM) taken up within the cylinder head, combustion chamber, etc by the hotter, less dense air is still the same at a given pressure ratio. The air is just less dense - has less mass. i.e 34lbs/min vs 36lbs/min.

Last edited by SuperSquid; 09-18-2008 at 08:32 AM.

Quick Reply: 2.8 power