B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

1st time buyer 1.8t fwd a4

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 10:30 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by MetalMan
They probably were mostly delivered to California and Florida
My car actually spent some time in Florida with its 2nd owner.

Old 08-28-2014, 10:41 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by adam044
You'd have a tough time here in the north east not finding a Quattro Audi. I just didn't think they made a whole lot of the FWD Audi's but I guess they made more than I thought.
To be honest until I joined the forum I didn't even know that FWD B5s were still a thing. I knew they offered them, but I figured they sold like 4 of them and all were extinct now. Everyone in Pennsylvania that has an Audi has a Quattro.

Question- if you are going to get a FWD B5, wouldn't it make more sense to just buy a Passat? At least then you'd have a backseat more comfortably for adults. And in my opinion the Passat looks better than the pre-facelift B5.

Old 08-29-2014, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Lions
To be honest until I joined the forum I didn't even know that FWD B5s were still a thing. I knew they offered them, but I figured they sold like 4 of them and all were extinct now. Everyone in Pennsylvania that has an Audi has a Quattro.

Question- if you are going to get a FWD B5, wouldn't it make more sense to just buy a Passat? At least then you'd have a backseat more comfortably for adults. And in my opinion the Passat looks better than the pre-facelift B5.
B5s, and even B6/B7/B8 generations seem to be more populous in FWD than Quattro around where I live. I am quite surprised/pleased to see a Quattro on the road, more-so than you might expect!

Are you talking about a B5 Passat? If not then it's not apples-to-apples. IMO the B5 A4 is much better looking than the B5 Passat.

Old 08-29-2014, 12:55 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by adam044
You're just saying that to make yourself feel better. Why would you pick FWD over Quattro? I'm curious.

2WD RWD buy a BMW
LOL. That's funny!

My kids, my lady, my bank accounts and my life in general make me "feel better" than any car can. Besides: My MDX is AWD, so I already have both.

That was funny though. Thanks!

My reasons for enjoying the benefits of the FWD have already been covered by the folks (below) who have answered this question for me before I had a chance to respond (and yes: Tampa is in Florida).

I daily-drove a FWD B5 A4 1.8T for 3.5 years. Here's my answers:
-better gas mileage
-better gear ratios for manual transmission (IMO)
-less drivetrain power loss
-far fewer components to fail or require replacement (center diff, center driveshaft, rear diff, rear axles, rear bushings/control arms)
-less weight
-still handles great with good suspension, and being lighter by ~300lbs makes it more agile/nimble
-no major driveability benefit (for DD'ing) in places without snow (like SoCal or Florida)

However, since "upgrading" to a Quattro car, there are two major benefits I see:
1) Can put power down through a corner, whereas FWD is more likely to spin tires (where it might understeer under power).
2) Can use throttle to control the rear of the car. In FWD you can't control the car nearly as well as you can with Quattro. I'm finding this even more-so true since I did the 4:1 diff mod last weekend.
This ^^^ is almost exactly how I would've responded. I love the idea of the Quattro, but it's not worth the trade-off down here.

I came from a 1997 Camry I4 automatic before my FWD 5spd A4, big upgrade there! One more reason: FWD A4 is still longitudinal, so unlike most FWD cars which have transversely-mounted engines, the FWD A4 doesn't suffer from any torque steer..............
Another good reason.

Does that work for you Adam?