B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

1999 Audi A4 2.8 Quattro - Starting problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 11:18 AM
1st Gear
Default 1999 Audi A4 2.8 Quattro - Starting problem

Hello Everyone,

After pry opening the doors of my Audi, since my key would not work, I was able to start it and drive it for a while locking and unlocking the car manually.

Last night coming from a reunion my car suddenly coasted to a halt. It shot down and would not start... the battery is ok since I was abe to crank it but no gas or electricity going.

After towing it to my house the car fired up for a minute or two and it shot down.

I was looking for examples in the forum but nothing near to my problems.

1-Could it be a clogged fuel filter
2-A near future failure of the pump.

Thank you for any answers you can provide me in order to fix my car.

Old 11-24-2014, 06:31 PM
2nd Gear

Does sound gas related. Make sure it has gas (though this one is probably already covered), then yeah my second guess is fuel filter or fuel pump.

Old 11-25-2014, 10:51 AM
2nd Gear

When I hear symptoms that are intermittent, I always think electrical. Nothing can drop in and out like a bad connection, bad ground, flaky module, bad ignition switch, etc. And are saying it all started when your key fob didn't work and you had to pry the door open? And I can't tell from what you wrote, but are you say "no electricity going" do you mean there are no dash lights etc. when you try to start it?

If that's true, I'd sure think something electrical. When the car won't start, do you get any lights/whirring sounds when you turn the key?

Old 11-25-2014, 12:08 PM
1st Gear

Ok

On the electricity part, there was juice from the the battery and all lights were working properly. I was referring to maybe no spark. But the car actually started after a half hour, though it shot off within 2 minutes. From there I was not able to start the car again.

Old 11-25-2014, 12:22 PM
2nd Gear

At this point all people can do is guess. You need to get some codes, preferably with a VAG-COM.

Old 12-03-2014, 01:44 PM
1st Gear

It was the fuel pump... no gas going anywhere. replacing the pump and fliter. 160000 miles already.

Old 12-03-2014, 02:04 PM
2nd Gear

Glad you got it running! Thanks for letting us know.

Old 12-03-2014, 06:47 PM
1st Gear

Glad you posted this. I am having similar issues and going to attack fuel pump last.

Old 12-28-2014, 07:39 PM
1st Gear

Hello - I'm a first time Audi owner. I bought a certified pre-owned 2011 A3. Loved it for the first couple of years and now also having problems starting the car. It's still under warranty but the dealer can't figure out the problem.

1. 1 month ago, engine cranked several times before starting, lasted about 4 days, then it died while parked, was able to jump start, and drove to dealer, who replaced battery.

2. No problems until about 2 weeks later when the check engine light went on and stayed on for approximately 5 days. (Gas cap was tight already.) Back to dealer to be checked and for the next service. I was told that the computer showed no problems and they returned the car back to me.

3. Again, no problems until about 1 week later. Car started fine, reversed out of a parking spot, put the car in drive, and it suddenly died without warning. Would not jump start. Towed to dealer. Car stayed at Audi Oakland for 2 weeks, ran diagnostics, mechanic and service advisor drove the car home, could not replicate the problem and gave the car back to me saying 'it's fine'.

4. Picked up the car with no diagnosis, started fine 3 times, then on the 3rd time, died while driving. I tried several times to start it again and it would turn on and then die or the engine would not crank at all. Again, would not jump start. Towed back to dealer. Plan to get it to a different dealer. Fighting with Audi customer care to no avail. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Old 12-29-2014, 04:44 PM
1st Gear
Default Further problems

My vehicle has now been towed to where I purchased it (Rector Motor), and I am told that if they cannot replicate the problem, I have to take the vehicle back. (BTW, it is still under 'warranty', no longer sure what that means)

Quick Reply: 1999 Audi A4 2.8 Quattro - Starting problem