B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

1999 A4 from auction cranks but won't start

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 10:37 PM
1st Gear
Question 1999 A4 from auction cranks but won't start

Howdy,

I just purchased a 1999 A4 Quattro 1.8t 5-spd from a local towyard auction.
According to the tow company's records, the car has been on their lot for about four months, and the gas tank is about 7/8ths full. I have no clue if the car was sitting, or for how long, before it was towed.

I had it taken to a locksmith they recommended to make 2 brand new keys as there were no keys with the car. While I would not call these keys "laser cut," as I can see what appear to be machining marks, they are of the "sidewinder" style, or what you would find in a switchblade key, but there is no fob/remote attached, as you can see -

I checked the timing belt (that it was still there) and that it had oil and coolant. The battery was toast, so I got a new one.
After installing the new battery, still at the locksmith's parking lot 12 miles from home, the car cranks but won't start.

There are no noticeable clanking noises, and no hint that the motor is attempting to fire. The only mechanical problems I can see are:
1) Catalytic converter has separated from the turbo at the flange. It seems this is not unheard of, and I have a replacement component on the way.
2) A/C compressor has seized, but belt is already gone. Also, an A/C line has been cut. Future project.

Other than that, the stereo is gone and the dash readout is messed up - it states "Press ..... Pedal to ....." (I realize it's telling me to press the clutch pedal). The water deflectors are missing, so I had to chip the battery out of it's icy enclosure, but everything else under the hood looks fine. Oh, and the driver door lock (the only one on the flippin' car) doesn't work - the key just spins round and round.

I'm wondering:
1) Does this vehicle have an immobilizer?
2) If so, since it cranks, does it matter?
3) Will a separated Cat cause starting issues?
4) Is there a Schrader valve hookup for a fuel pressure gauge, or do I just disconnect the line and see if anything comes out?
5) Does the door lock have anything to do with vehicle starting?
6) Would Jessica Biel go out with me if this car ran?

My dilemma is whether or not to have it towed back to my apartment where I could work on it (I am a decently capable mechanic, but have lack of sufficient space, and the temps are in the teens to mid 20's right now), or have it taken to a dealership only a few miles from it's current location to pay their exhorbitant labor rates (I used to work at a Saturn dealership, and we were cheap at 95/hour). While money is not an "issue" per se, I obviously don't want to spend more than I have to - that cuts into the sacred "Beer Money" column on my monthly budget, which makes me cranky.

So, any ideas? I'll probably grab some water remover junk from an auto parts store, as I guess gasoline will last quite a while in a closed system on a newer car, and give it the good ole college try, but I have to have it moved tomorrow or they have it towed (irony, anyone?).
Any thoughts would be appreciated, as well as any assistance. I'd be more than willing to inflate the aforementioned Beer Money column to those with knowledge and/or tools in my quest to have a nice car.

Thanks

Old 01-18-2011, 11:07 PM
Actual WIZARD

Have you tried starting fluid, or verified spark? It could also be a clogged air filter

Old 01-18-2011, 11:25 PM
1st Gear

I did try starting fluid to no avail.

How do I verify spark on a car like this?

I will check the air filter tomorrow.

My roommate was just talking to a buddy on the phone, who had similar problems on a VW Rabbit, but the car started when he inserted the seat belt. Does this sound correct?

Old 01-19-2011, 08:49 AM
1st Gear

I bought a car with the same problem, but I had a CEL. I don't know if you have one on. My problem was the camshaft chain tensioner. You might want to take off the cam cover and see if the tensioner is still intact.