B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Is 1999 a4 1.8t Quattro a good car for me?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 11:23 AM
1st Gear
Default Is 1999 a4 1.8t Quattro a good car for me?

Hello im wondering if the audi is a good choice me ive owned alot of cars and most of them where performance orianted (5.0,e30,e30,e30,lol,etc.) but im going back to college now and i want something a little more stable in the winter but im affraid im gonna get it and then not want it becouse the performance isnt there. Ive seen power for these things range from 140 to 180 horse and i know that there not rocket ships but i wanna be able to still have that power if i get it i will be doing these mods i would like to hit 220-240 just for fun and still remain reliable.Yes i test drove one i leaned into it a little but wasnt able to really lean on it (not beat) plus first turbo car i ever drove.
-Intake http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B5_A4-...Intake/ES6323/
-Chip http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B5_A4-...Tuning/ES2202/
-pully http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B5_A4-...ngine/Pulleys/
-Test Pipe (cat delete) http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B5_A4-...ipe/ES1844140/
-cat back exhaust (for sound mostly)
-jhm shifter
-chasis stiffiners (take away some of the cushy luxurey that i think makes it feel slow)
-Front mount intercooler
-Turbo timer(do i need it?)
-18's lower profile sticky tires (looks)(steelies for winter)
-310mm a6 brake upgrade
this isnt a for sure list im looking for input from other audi owners

Old 05-10-2011, 11:41 AM
3rd Gear

Skip the intake and pully, get a quality diverter valve once you get a chip. Turbo timer isn't really needed, I just hang in the car an extra 30-60 seconds and drive the last couple miles home nice and easy to let the turbo cool. Coilovers and sway bars will do a lot to help the handling. Also get a boost gauge, essential for any turbo car.

Old 05-10-2011, 03:58 PM
2nd Gear

A - dont even consider modding before your up to maintainence
B - Post the Audi you are lookign at we can help way more that way
c - Really helps to have the timing done before you buy it if possible if not easy enough DIY

Old 05-10-2011, 05:26 PM
Tech Guru

^ x10 Audi's aren't small block Chevys. You can't say "**** maintainence" and build the engine anyways. Timing service needs done every 80k miles so make sure that's all done and if it ain't then make the seller take money off so you can either buy a kit ($300) and do it yourself or pay a mechanic ($600-$900).

Old 05-10-2011, 05:38 PM
1st Gear

Its not listed online sorry or i would throw up a link but i will explain it to the best of my knowlege its a 1999 Audi a4 Quattro 1.8t its got 150k on it, Its a one owner car he has all the reciepts for maintnance and service thats been done to the car. He had a new clutch put in it 3 months ago, as well as something to do with the a/c replaced for summer. He has steel rims on it becouse last summer he hit a pot hole and fucked up one of the alloys. The car has only one issue the radio doesnt work i didnt go into that with him he just said it would need a new one. Cars silver with grey cloth intiorior he said he can do 2700 becouse hes going to buy a prius. Also i didnt mean to come of as i want to get this thing home and start moding it but after i get it cleaned up and to a 8/9 out of 10 car i want to start doing things to it.

Old 05-10-2011, 10:32 PM
Tech Guru

A lot of us just don't like seeing guys new to Audi get screwed on their first purchase so we try to watch out for first time Audi buyers.

Old 05-11-2011, 08:24 AM
2nd Gear

If he can prove the Clutch and Ac thats a deal even without timing done. Does the radio simply say "safe" if tis the stock radio and he disconnected the batt its in safe mode. And we have seen atleast 5 threads recently about "kids" buyign an audi thinking its going to destroy and ricer on their local strip and had no maintainence done to it or even thought it might need maintainence and just bashed the Audi's. Also, are you a big DIY person? IF not also consider that, some Audi work needs a professional, most is DIY and you will save housands per repair that way. So if you pay to have your car repiared that belt is now 1600 instead of 300 for example.

Old 05-12-2011, 12:45 AM
1st Gear

Hey guys thanks for the quick replys i did buy it he is not he orginal owner his wife was and they seperated he did have proof for clutch and ac recharge and 2 new wheel bearings there is some body dings its a chicago car so about average i would say intior is great exept for a broken center console lid, radio was replaced with after market 60 dollar sony wich crapped out the screen doesnt work so you cant tell what the hell your doing, so i got a list of things to be done i payed 2700 and i love it.

-Timing belt
-Winshield washer fluid container leaks idk where from yet
-I want suspension checked out becouse it doesnt seem as tight as possible
-temp gauge starts at mid way from start up and goes down as car warms up?
-key fob doesnt exist anymore he says the wife says she mailed them he says he nver got them so i gotta pay for that got the valet key for now
-have a few of the more noticble dings fixed.
-center console

also
first of not a kid but idk how old some of you are so maybe in comparison but not spirit
secondly i dont wanna ricer it just get it feeling like a performance car not a cloud stuffed with unicorn farts its got good power just feels a little soft
lastly i do alot of my own stuff only payed for it once and it wasnt the best but if its cheap enough and i wont have to get my hands dirty im willing to pay so much

Last edited by beamer814; 05-12-2011 at 12:49 AM.
Old 05-12-2011, 06:31 AM
2nd Gear

Havign the wheel bearings done is a huge plus also, I think you made a deal any 1.8t Quattro under 4 is a good deal. SO Welcome man.

Problems -
The center console lid is always fucked on a used Audi for some reason or another youll find another along the way
Check where the coolant level sensor enters the tank, big leak area there
The suspension probabaly doesnt feel tight cause its soft as **** when stock expecially if its not a sport package
New key fob is 170 cut from the dealer honestly dont go the ebay $10 method everyone has had bad reviews on them

Im glad you not here to stick " unicorn fart cans " on you new Audi thats always a damn good start

Old 05-13-2011, 06:42 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by beamer814
H
-Timing belt
-Winshield washer fluid container leaks idk where from yet
-I want suspension checked out becouse it doesnt seem as tight as possible
-temp gauge starts at mid way from start up and goes down as car warms up?
-key fob doesnt exist anymore he says the wife says she mailed them he says he nver got them so i gotta pay for that got the valet key for now
-have a few of the more noticble dings fixed.
-center console
Windshield washer container cracks at that age. Could probably silicone it up. Mine cracked when I removed it to access the ABS control module for repair. If the front control arms have not been done, that may be the source of your suspension's lack of tightness feel. Temp gauge may have bad sensor, a common problem. Good luck. I'm getting rid of my 98 2.8 quattro once I get the oil leaks stopped.

Quick Reply: Is 1999 a4 1.8t Quattro a good car for me?