B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

1999 A4 1.8T - No Intercooler - Will the car screw up!

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 03:41 PM
Default RE: 1999 A4 1.8T - No Intercooler - Will the car screw up!

The air goes through the intake then to the turbo then to the intercooler to "cool" the air before it enters the throttle body. So the air goes from air temp to a lower temp when it passes through the intercooler.. With no intercooler = no cold air going into the engine so be careful as you may over heat your nice car and may result in a no go.. That is why you see some people "front mounting" intercoolers because they sit low and up front in resulting having cooler direct air onto the intercooler. I went to a performance car shop to look at getting a after market intercooler and the guy was not really keen he said "Audi intercoolers are one of the best factory and no after market intercoolers will increase performance on this car but can do on others.

Old 02-27-2008, 03:43 PM
I'm make believe

Did you just REALLY type all of that for my sarcastic comment?

Old 02-27-2008, 03:51 PM

Hello.. No we must of posted at the same time.. When I read this thread your comment was on here at that stage..

Old 02-27-2008, 04:03 PM
I'm make believe

Took you 15mins to type that? The post are time stamped

Old 02-27-2008, 04:10 PM

I dont know maybe I did?? [sm=bustedsign.gif]

Old 02-27-2008, 04:13 PM
I'm make believe

lol!!!

Old 02-27-2008, 04:19 PM

So are you really running 20 psi and how often? How did you increase your boost so much? Is it on a stock engine?

Old 02-27-2008, 04:25 PM
Tech Guru

ORIGINAL: kiwilad

A intercooler is the next thing after the intake.. the air goes through the intake then to the intercoller to "cool" the air before it enters the throttle body. So the air goes from air temp or maybe higher as it goes into the engine bay to a much lower temp when it passes through the intercooler.. With no intercooler = no cold air going into the engine so be careful as you may over heat your nice car and may result in a no go.. That is why you see some people "front mounting" intercoolers because they sit low and up front in resulting having cooler direct air onto the intercooler. BUT it is NOT always the case as you can affect the curvature of the turbo and increase your lag. I went to a performance car shop to look at getting a after market intercooler and the guy was not really keen he said "Audi intercoolers are one of the best factory and no after market intercoolers will increase your performance.

cincy, reread what he typed..... cause it looks like he is miss informed in a couple of places

Old 02-27-2008, 04:29 PM
I'm make believe

ORIGINAL: turbo kraut

ORIGINAL: kiwilad

A intercooler is the next thing after the intake.. the air goes through the intake then to the intercoller to "cool" the air before it enters the throttle body. So the air goes from air temp or maybe higher as it goes into the engine bay to a much lower temp when it passes through the intercooler.. With no intercooler = no cold air going into the engine so be careful as you may over heat your nice car and may result in a no go.. That is why you see some people "front mounting" intercoolers because they sit low and up front in resulting having cooler direct air onto the intercooler. BUT it is NOT always the case as you can affect the curvature of the turbo and increase your lag. I went to a performance car shop to look at getting a after market intercooler and the guy was not really keen he said "Audi intercoolers are one of the best factory and no after market intercoolers will increase your performance.

cincy, reread what he typed..... cause it looks like he is miss informed in a couple of places
i concure, i didnt really read it the first time

Old 02-27-2008, 04:34 PM

Oh where am I misinformed as I dont want to put people wrong.. But I have done mechanic courses and spoken to lots of car tuners over here so please correct me if I am wrong.. [sm=chairshot.gif]

Quick Reply: 1999 A4 1.8T - No Intercooler - Will the car screw up!