B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

1996 Audi A4 v6 manual

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 06:51 AM
Default 1996 Audi A4 v6 manual

Hello everyone, as you can see, i'm new to this forum, and the manufacturer of Audi for that matter; I don't own one as of yet but will not be far off getting a 1996 Manual V6 a4. i'm basically just trying to get some ideas for what can be/is recommended to do to the car.

I'm mainly interested in the performance side of things, so i'm wanting to hear your opinions on engine mods to give me all the power i can get out of it, without having in turbo/supercharged, i can't drive them because Australian provisional laws are ****. I'll also be looking at putting some Bilstein suspension in it to bring it down a couple inches and improve the handling, as well as some bbs wheels or something of the sorts, maybe roll the guards, too.

Interior, etc, i will just do as i see stuff i like i guess, but there's no real point unless i come accross some nice carbon fibre stuff.

Exterior/paint, not really that worried about, it's all unnecessary in my opinion, as much as i'd like a nice simple bodykit, i can't justify the money.

Anyway, that's my plans/what i sort of want some advice on so far, i really do apologise for the complete noob 'WHAT DO I DO' quesion, but i seriously have no idea, and will do further research, but i'd like some direction.

Thanks in advance,
Drew.

Old 10-30-2009, 08:31 AM
1st Gear

First tip...
read the newbie forums!!
Other than that there's not a whole lot you can do on the v6 performance wise.. If you have a 30v you can supercharge but thats about it.. or get a custom exhaust.

Newbie forums will tell you all you need to know.
As for body kits, a lot of people like the bolt on s4 or rs4 looks. If you have the time and money you can even do the widebody rs4 conversion.

the v6 makes a great show car, but as far as performance goes youre really limited, its faster than the 1.8t stock but after that, your cost / hp is super high on the v6..

Old 10-30-2009, 09:41 AM
Administrator

That's exactly why the noob sticky posts are at the top of this forum and the new owner forum - the ones that say Read This, or Read Before Posting. All of this is covered in depth and still is asked three times a week.

/banging head on wall.

Old 10-30-2009, 12:21 PM
4th Gear

Oh, the ever present flaming of the noobs. I remember when I fist joined... lol... I still feel like anything and everything I post is probably covered in a sticky somewhere, and although I've read them all, I still feel lost.

Welcome to the forums. With a little research, you'll find most of the answers you need, then you can refine your threads to something more specific and get the overall opinions of other members, instead of vague, "what it out there" type questions. Find out your options, then go from there. BTW, I believe the 96 and 97 V6 only came with a 12V, so for performance, you're pretty much screwed...

Old 10-30-2009, 11:27 PM

96 and 97 V6s have the 12v like me . Our engines will last forever if taken care of. Superchargers are for the 98 and current 30 valve engines. However, I've heard of someone doing something with a 12 valve but I can't back it up with proof so....
What I'm getting at is our cars are for show like stated above. Performance is very limited I'm afraid.

Old 10-31-2009, 12:35 PM
3rd Gear

in his defense, i dont think it says explicitly in the stickies that the 12v engine has almost zero modding potential. the modifications & maintenance and noobie stickies just dont mention the 12v.

there was a custom supercharger on a 12v project on scaudi.com
and i said custom- your going to have to fabricate it yourself. not for most people.

Old 10-31-2009, 12:41 PM
1st Gear

As stated in the newbie guide version 2.....

if you want more reliability. The 1.8T has loads of mods and is more fun to drive in my opinion. The 2.8 is more reliable than the 1.8T but has practically no mods. It starts with 40 more hp than the 1.8T in stock form, but is also slightly heavier. The only way to get serious power out of the 2.8 is with a supercharger. But they cost 4-5 grand for a complete setup. Lots of info can be found out about supercharging the 2.8 at www.superchargedaudi.com Also more info can be found about this subject here:

Old 10-31-2009, 01:08 PM
1st Gear

wait.....you cant have a supercharged/turbo car in Australia where you live? Thats fucked.

Old 10-31-2009, 01:15 PM
4th Gear

Have you ever gone to superchargedaudi.com? There is nothing there but a 'search' page....

Old 11-05-2009, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by RockyMountainB5
wait.....you cant have a supercharged/turbo car in Australia where you live? Thats fucked.
That's correct. Not for another 1 and a half years when im on my Open license.

To everyone who's trying to try to the the whole 'im a senior, flame the newbie' cliche' act on, seriously, i have had a look at these stickies, and as said, i can't seem to get any definate answers toward a 12v engine, and as stated in my post, i can not have a supercharger/turbo. So i was more trying to get at some things that can be modified to say, increase fuel delivery/air flow/etc, just so i can stew some ideas. I do apologise if this seems super stupid to you guys, i feel your frustration as i'm a senior member on another forum and constantly get newbies asking what seems the same question, but it can be hard to navigate your way around a different forum so please bare with me.

It's a shame to hear that the 12 valve engines are so limited, what's stopping me from getting a later model with a 30v is simply the Auto, the only A4 i can find with a manual box is a '96.

Quick Reply: 1996 Audi A4 v6 manual