B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

12v performance?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 09:40 PM
1st Gear
Default 12v performance?

Yeah, hard to turn anything up. I'm considering a build, partly because I'd like some more power, mostly because it would be fun. Alas I have a 1996 12v fwd. Hey, it was free.

So, I'm wondering a few things. Where do I find my trans code? Mines a 5-speed. I'm looking at a LSD, one site claims its for 1999 and below the other says 99 and up, are there different transmissions? both claim to be 012 DUK though.

I'd also like to do something with my seats, I have the odd pleather thing going on. S4 seats? anyone know what seats fit where?

Performance isn't too hard to get, I can just have a friend of mine do up some custom manifolds and run a twin turbo with a standalone fuel management....wait, might as well just get an S4. I don't really want to do a FI build. I'd like to do a NA build, I'm curious if there are any reputable vendors to deal with, I'd be surprised if there are performance rebuild kits out there, but hey, never know.

Basically I'm looking to see if there's something out there that supports the 12v. If I have to one-off everything, that's just ridiculous. I'd like to stick with my shell, it's really quite nice. But at a certain point it just makes more sense to go for an s4 or back a couple years for the 90 and stick a 20v into it.

Or. I wonder if a 20v will fit into the b5 chassis...

Old 08-17-2011, 09:58 PM
Administrator

There's nothing. Check the FAQ sticky - it'll spell it out.

Old 08-17-2011, 10:09 PM
1st Gear

That's hilarious. I swear it feels like it just needs to breathe a bit more at higher RPM.

I guess it's all about the 1.8t, as far as turbo 4 pot motors go, I do like them better than most. Still, I'll have to investigate the 2.2 20v.

Old 08-17-2011, 10:16 PM
Administrator

The 30v breathes a lot better than the 12v, and the air system on the 30v can flow much more air than that engine demands. The discrepancy is even greater on the 12v. Remember the 12v was around far earlier than 96, when the B5 debuted. It was a carryover engine until the30v was ready for production, and at that time Audi wasn't looked at much at all for street performance. The engine at that time was simply there to move the car in traffic.

Old 08-17-2011, 10:27 PM
1st Gear

Yeah, there's a lot of Honda raggin' here, and they mostly deserve it. But they make nice flowing heads.

The more I look, the less I actually want to do anything here. S4's are quite cheap around here, modding a car would end up costing more than buying one and chipping it. Hell there's a 95 s6 for sale near me for $2200, it needs some tlc, but that's not a big deal.

Even the 30v lacks any real support, people just latched onto the 1.8t and ran with it. I know this will end with another car in my driveway... Lol I should stop while I'm ahead.

Old 08-18-2011, 12:15 AM
Administrator

IMO, support for B5 V6 motors of any flavor is very very lacking, and with good reason. As Devil mentioned, the 12v is a very economical motor but thats about all it has going for it. The only sort of power adding mods I've ever heard of are custom-made big body MAF sensors. PES makes superchargers designed for the 30v that could probably be retro-fitted to the 12v, but good luck getting a tune; guys with 30v motors are having a tough enough time finding tunes, let alone the 12v. The heads just aren't designed to flow enough to make big power. That said, I do miss the insta-torque that was available from my old 12v :-/

Old 08-18-2011, 09:07 AM
1st Gear

Seems like a remote turbo is the only economical option. That might be an interesting build, in a fwd car there's a ton of space back there.

But, cheap B5 S4s make that a hard build to sell. 6k-2500ish that I'd get for my car, the turbo setup would run in excess of 2k...and additional 2k-1500 for a car that's built to make the power, along with all the body/interior and suspension.

Of course, finding a 5 speed is a challenge in of itself. Who the hell would buy an automatic S4? or M3 for that matter, I see a lot of those with Auto trans.

Old 08-18-2011, 09:27 AM
Tech Guru

Actually Chris, 30v heads flow better than 2.7T heads; but for the most part you're right. The 30v is a nice, torquey v6 that's designed to be reliable from day-to-day.

Old 08-18-2011, 10:31 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by RandomAudiOwner
Seems like a remote turbo is the only economical option. That might be an interesting build, in a fwd car there's a ton of space back there.

But, cheap B5 S4s make that a hard build to sell. 6k-2500ish that I'd get for my car, the turbo setup would run in excess of 2k...and additional 2k-1500 for a car that's built to make the power, along with all the body/interior and suspension.
I'd say that's a conservative estimate at best, especially considering you didn't factor in the cost of the standalone tuning you'd need to run because no one makes a turbo file for a 12v remote turbo setup.

Originally Posted by airguard350
Actually Chris, 30v heads flow better than 2.7T heads; but for the most part you're right. The 30v is a nice, torquey v6 that's designed to be reliable from day-to-day.
I was more referring to the 12v heads not being high flowing enough, being that they only have 12 valves lol.

Old 08-18-2011, 11:02 AM
Administrator

Don't forget also that the fuel system on a 12v isn't really gonna be up to par for fueling boost beyond a couple psi. Is the fabrication cost of the piping, flanges, and lines, plus the effort of tapping an oil supply and pan return for the turbo (which will require an online pump due to the location of the turbo) worth it for a 25-30hp gain? Nope. For tuning, you could Mickey-Mouse it with an apexi s-afc to tweak the MAF signal and enrich fuel delivery across the powerband, but you won't be addressing timing retard that way (although at only a few psi, that may not really be an issue).

Bottom line, if you want to add power, sell that car.

Quick Reply: 12v performance?