B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

123K miles. Time to stop investing so much money?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 01:50 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by M3Armand
See attached pic.
Thats very cool. I've heard of people tearing out the airbags to put pillar gauge pods in, but to be able to keep the airbag and not have to worry about taking a boost gauge in the face if you get in an accident is pretty sweet

OP, something I have found to be more and more true as I get older (insert joke about being a newb here) is that while a car is a fairly big responsibility, its not the end of the world if you wanna sell one. I've always got at least one eye peeled at local car dealers (audi and others) to see what there is to see. I had my eye on an M3 that got sold right before I went to look at it. I digress. That said, you have to think about how much money you put into it versus how much longer you're going to keep it. With the SB clutch and other goodies you've got, plus the turbo, you might wanna think about keeping it for a while after you do that stuff. I like to enjoy my hard work. Plus, "SB stage III and chipped GTRS" will likely mean little, if anything, to the kid who wants to buy your car when you sell it. (like me when i bought mine! lol)

So to summarize my rambling, convoluted response:

If you plan on modding it as heavily as you say, keep it long enough to get your money back in smiles, then sell it. If not, selling a car isn't the end of the world.

Old 02-09-2009, 10:23 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by M3Armand
No offense taken since I realize that it may be your youth doing the writing. A compression and leak down test is only a part of the equation. An oil analysis will let you know what kinds of internal metal breakdowns is happening within the engine. It's too long to explain, so I'll just point you to the website www.blackstone-labs.com

And regarding Audi, or other car manufacturer for that matter, needing confirmation from outside companies to tell them that their oil change intervals are "perfect", many companies employ outside "expertise" to assist in various situations. Car companies cannot be "experts" at everything. But anyway, this is off topic, so I'll stop here.
I know what Blackstone Labs is. I also know how to inspect, diagnose, repair, and rebuild engines. I did it professionally .

Old 02-10-2009, 04:08 AM
2nd Gear

M3Armand, is that pillar gauge/airbag an actual part? Or is there some custom fabrication required? If it is a custom job, can you post a DIY or something? That's a great answer to one of our greatest b5 dilemmas.

Jiggleo, that's insane, I've never heard of any car having that many miles. I'm impressed.

Good point CCA4. I'll admit I've had my eye on some S4s and I've thought about kickin' it old school with an Audi V8. I'm a bit of a HP junkie but I still like my A4.

Old 02-10-2009, 10:19 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by ghost6303
thats siena, she is also a moderator on here although doesnt come around much. and i believe its not a guy. but yes, that car will be something to behold when finished.
Siena is a guy. He's located in the UK and is buddies with Docurley who owned another amazing B5 before it was destoryed by theives.

to the OP. Do what you feel is best for you. if your B5 makes you happy then by all means mod to your liking. Me personally I love my B5 and wont sell it. I've got a few more payments left and I'll be driving it around until the B8s depreciate some then I'll purchase and DD one of those while keeping the B5 around for more fun outings.

Old 02-10-2009, 10:28 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Tweaked
I know what Blackstone Labs is. I also know how to inspect, diagnose, repair, and rebuild engines. I did it professionally .
If so, then I am quite surprised by your comments of "...a compression and leak down test is really the only way to tell how healthy the engine is...".

While I wholeheartedly agree with you that it's one of the ways to check, but it's certainly not the "only" way as you wrote. But maybe it was just a "typo"? I don't mean to be exacting. I was a mechanical engineer, professionally licensed, and was part of the internal combustion engine team that subcontracted to automotive companies that "made the engines". So when you also think that Audi or any other automotive company doesn't need confirmation from outside companies...you're incorrect in this case. Not to belitte the car companies out there, but everyone, every company, needs some form of help some time... It's when they think they don't need help or can do everything on their own that eventually sets them behind from everyone else... Anyway, off the soap box and I don't mean to go off topic.

Old 02-10-2009, 10:46 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by a2thy
M3Armand, is that pillar gauge/airbag an actual part? Or is there some custom fabrication required? If it is a custom job, can you post a DIY or something? That's a great answer to one of our greatest b5 dilemmas..
I pinged my wife who says that it came from here:

http://www.supremepowerparts.com/0/5..._category.html

Looks like you have to send them your original pillar.

Old 02-10-2009, 10:58 AM
Administrator

^ Thats pretty cool, not a bad price considering it includes the gauge(s) too.

Yeah man I think that while a car can (and is for most people, including myself) be an important necessity for gettin back and forth to work and stuff like that, it should still be fun and cool lookin. I would be willing to guess that this is in the top 3 reasons everybody on this website drives an Audi and not a Geo Metro. Because they're effin sweet . And since a car is also supposed to be fun, if you're not havin fun with this one than sell it and get somethin else. I went from an 87 Olds to a 89 Bronco to my A4 in like 2 years I think I'll be able to have fun with this for a while . Good luck with whatever you decide.