B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

123K miles. Time to stop investing so much money?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 07:19 PM
2nd Gear

M3Armand, what's a Combination Pillar Boost Gauge/Airbag?

Old 02-07-2009, 10:54 PM
1st Gear

Take a look at this. This guy is putting a V8 from an A8 in his B5 A4 and he plans on putting a turbo on it in the future. This is modding to the extreme.

https://www.audiforums.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=106358

Old 02-08-2009, 01:54 AM
2nd Gear

That car is insane! I don't think anyone will ever top that.

Old 02-08-2009, 02:09 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by M3Armand
But THE most important thing we've done is done an oil analysis from blackstone labs for a couple of oil changes. First, they confirmed that the engine is wearing beautifully. Second, they confirmed that changing the oil at 10k miles or so (following the service light suggestion) is perfect. We have been using Mobil 1 0W40 Synthetic.
I gotta ask.... why would you have the oil analyzed and how could they tell "the engine is wearing beautifully"?!?
I also don't think Audi needs confirmation from an outside company to tell them that their suggested oil and oil change interval are "perfect."

No offense, not trying to be a dick, but a compression and leak down test is really the only way to tell how healthy the engine is. If you've got chunks of metal in your engine, you'd know it just by looking at it in the light or listening to the knocking of your bad crank bearings...

But anyway!... a2thy: Do what makes you happy!

The first car I ever purchased on my own was a '91 Taurus SHO Plus package about 5 years ago. I loved it. Spent a buttload of cash trying to fix it and prep it for mods. I found rust. A little rust became big rust and it was the icing on the cake for a large number of mechanical issues I was having. I saved cash for almost a full year so I could bring the car to a body shop and begin to restore it. When I had $5K in the bank and a new job, I realized I was able to buy a 2002 Jag X-Type 3.0 Sport with only 35K miles with a 100K mile warranty and LOTS of smiles (and later airbags and engineering that saved my life, but that's another story).

I sold the SHO for cash the following year. I couldn't take it anymore, despite my high hopes for it.

So, it depends on your situation and what you want. The Audi will last. But will you still be happy? Personally, I get bored. I buy, mod, get bored, and move on when the time is right (or when I'm forced to ;( )

I think you should sell the A4 and pony up for that pretty R8 in your Avatar.

Old 02-08-2009, 03:11 AM
2nd Gear

Is Mobile1 0w-40 an Audi suggested oil? I hope so, because I use it and I here a lot about it on the forums.

I still need to test/inspect internals to make sure there are no hidden problems from the previous owners. Vag-com checks, a compression check, leak down test, and a visual inspection of the camshafts are the first things on the list for when I get home. If those things check out, I'll start modding the hell out of it (tastefully of course).

That's a pretty cool story. I still miss every car I've ever owned, but I plan on keeping this one as long as possible. It makes me very happy, hopefully for a long time.

Luckily no rust for me yet, unless it's really well hidden. I do plan on moving to Maine within the next few months though (salt/sand on the roads in the snowy months). Could I prevent rust from forming through frequent washing and by applying a thicker layer of underbody coating to the bottom of my car? I also heard it will help reduce road noise, that's definitely a plus.

Hahaha, that was taken from a car show, I couldn't help myself, I had to take a picture with it. I don't finance anything, so it would take me a decade or two to own an R8, personally I'd rather have a house.

Old 02-08-2009, 12:22 PM

haha, i dont kno man , i think id live out of my r8.

Old 02-08-2009, 08:42 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by a2thy
M3Armand, what's a Combination Pillar Boost Gauge/Airbag?
See attached pic.

Attached Thumbnails 123K miles. Time to stop investing so much money?-img_0266.jpg  
Old 02-08-2009, 08:50 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Tweaked
I gotta ask.... why would you have the oil analyzed and how could they tell "the engine is wearing beautifully"?!?
I also don't think Audi needs confirmation from an outside company to tell them that their suggested oil and oil change interval are "perfect."

No offense, not trying to be a dick, but a compression and leak down test is really the only way to tell how healthy the engine is. If you've got chunks of metal in your engine, you'd know it just by looking at it in the light or listening to the knocking of your bad crank bearings...
No offense taken since I realize that it may be your youth doing the writing. A compression and leak down test is only a part of the equation. An oil analysis will let you know what kinds of internal metal breakdowns is happening within the engine. It's too long to explain, so I'll just point you to the website www.blackstone-labs.com

And regarding Audi, or other car manufacturer for that matter, needing confirmation from outside companies to tell them that their oil change intervals are "perfect", many companies employ outside "expertise" to assist in various situations. Car companies cannot be "experts" at everything. But anyway, this is off topic, so I'll stop here.

Old 02-09-2009, 04:27 AM
2nd Gear

My old 5000t lasted 437,000 miles before I finally got rid of it. looking forward to putting this to the test. 143,000 right now and continuously planning the next upgrade. going kinda slow right now while looking for a job but I wouldn't hesitate dropping money in it. Oh and that 5000 is still on the road today. Over 500,000

Old 02-09-2009, 12:03 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by kr1snarowsk1
Take a look at this. This guy is putting a V8 from an A8 in his B5 A4 and he plans on putting a turbo on it in the future. This is modding to the extreme.

https://www.audiforums.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=106358
thats siena, she is also a moderator on here although doesnt come around much. and i believe its not a guy. but yes, that car will be something to behold when finished.

Quick Reply: 123K miles. Time to stop investing so much money?