B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

1.8TQ Cold air intake and Blistek heatshield pros and cons?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 05:05 PM
Administrator

Might I also be a devil's advocate here? Your engine bay will get hot - HOT - with the turbo and engine cranking away in there. Even if you shield off a section of the underhood area and manage to draw in air that is 20 degrees cooler than on the hot side of the shield, that air is still being drawn inside the turbo (which is flaming hot) and compressed (which heats the air even further), before being sent into the engine. In my mind, whether you draw in 140 degree air in an unshielded bay or 120 degree air in a shielded bay, it's a wash once it gets compressed inside a 900 degree compressor housing. IMO don't **** away money on either an intake or a heat shield, and put that money toward improving your intercooling system, downpipe, or some other improvement into engine efficiency. You don't need an intake on your setup. Period.

Dare I say don't bother with a K04 either? Go FT or bigger to make it worth the labor of opening the hood ( let alone of replacing the turbo).

Old 10-05-2012, 08:16 PM
Administrator

Yeah a K04 is a waste of money, especially now with the advent of the frankenturbo

Old 10-05-2012, 08:53 PM
2nd Gear

What about a forge splitter and later getting a fraken? Gives the sound of intake and helps the turbo. Worth $150?

Old 10-05-2012, 10:35 PM
Administrator

Jesus forget about the goofy sound ****. Refer to the turbo modding section that CincyTT wrote up in the TT section. Mod for a purpose and let it sound how it sounds. Leave the other bullshit to the Tercel and '87 Civic guys.

Old 10-05-2012, 10:48 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Pbcrazy
What about a forge splitter and later getting a fraken? Gives the sound of intake and helps the turbo. Worth $150?
No. A splitter won't give you any "intake sound", it will just give you a louder woosh noise when you get off the gas. If you want one, buy one from Emil for less than $150.

Originally Posted by ImTheDevil
Jesus forget about the goofy sound ****. Refer to the turbo modding section that CincyTT wrote up in the TT section. Mod for a purpose and let it sound how it sounds. Leave the other bullshit to the Tercel and '87 Civic guys.
^This. That section of the newbie guide is actually really informative.

Old 10-05-2012, 11:26 PM
Legal Moderator

for what its worth i dont run any intake or heatshield. i only run a filter directly off the turbo (mafless setup). this seems like it would draw in a bunch of hot air, but i justified it by the fact that the factory ram air hole is right in front of my air filter so it at least draws in some cooler air. plus my intercooler is fairly large. from the logs i have done my IAT's are great so im not worried. as for the sound you want, just let it go. all those "cool" sounds come with mods. most of the "cool" sounds my car makes sound bad to me like my BOV.
Name:  temporary-49.jpg
Views: 588
Size:  261.7 KB

Old 10-05-2012, 11:27 PM
1st Gear

[QUOTE=CCA4;1406571]No. A splitter won't give you any "intake sound", it will just give you a louder woosh noise when you get off the gas. If you want one, buy one from Emil for less than $150.

this guys is still going on with his woosh sound and trying to get it to be loud? how can any one spend so much time and money and effort on a cone or intake or any of that .. just to get a sound.. over here we have a name for that ricers .

Old 10-06-2012, 10:39 AM

The audi and vw scene is the new honda scene -- full of rice mobiles.

Old 10-06-2012, 11:44 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by jonbonesjones
The audi and vw scene is the new honda scene -- full of rice mobiles.
This is what kills me.

I hate to say it but this is the main reason I'm hardly on audiforums anymore.

Plain and simple:
1. If you're going to do a cone filter, do a heatshield or else you're making your car less efficient
2. BOV sounds on a car with >300hp = rice
3. Someone in here said they would rather spend their money on injectors or a fpr.... That would be an even bigger waste of money since it wouldnt help anything
4. This topic has been beat to death, search is your friend

/thread

Old 10-06-2012, 02:26 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by meloman
This is what kills me.

I hate to say it but this is the main reason I'm hardly on audiforums anymore.

3. Someone in here said they would rather spend their money on injectors or a fpr.... That would be an even bigger waste of money since it wouldnt help anything
/thread

injectors , FPR yea that would be me the one who said it and again how is this a waste of money? am stock and going to chip and last time i check i need injectors and FPR to make it happen, so tell me again how this is a waste of money compare to trying to make some car have a woosh sound and a crappy cone?

am waiting this i have to hear.

The only reason i said that is because i assume the guy that made this post has a bone stock audi and i wont be surprise if he did.

Quick Reply: 1.8TQ Cold air intake and Blistek heatshield pros and cons?