B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

1.8TQ Cold air intake and Blistek heatshield pros and cons?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 08:41 PM
2nd Gear
Default 1.8TQ Cold air intake and Blistek heatshield pros and cons?

So I'm looking at buying a k&n cold air intake and a Blistek heatshield. I know it won't add much power but will it make the "whoosh" sound when shifting? (No diverter valve yet) I'm planning on getting a ko4 soon so the eat shield is almost 100% needed I think. So my questions are, will the intake make the "whoosh" sound and/or make the turbo whistle louder (stock turbo ATM)? Also is the headshield needed and worth $90?

Old 10-04-2012, 09:30 PM
1st Gear

Did you search? Covered plenty of times.

If you have a 710N valve, the cone filter will give you the whoosh sound. I'm not 100% if it will do it with a stock valve, but I think it should.
You won't gain any power with the cone filter.
If you want the cone filter, it is highly recommended that you get a heatshield. It is not needed, but you are going to be sucking hot air if you don't.

Old 10-05-2012, 12:18 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Pbcrazy
So I'm looking at buying a k&n cold air intake and a Blistek heatshield. I know it won't add much power but will it make the "whoosh" sound when shifting? (No diverter valve yet) I'm planning on getting a ko4 soon so the eat shield is almost 100% needed I think. So my questions are, will the intake make the "whoosh" sound and/or make the turbo whistle louder (stock turbo ATM)? Also is the headshield needed and worth $90?
no its not worth $90 ill pay $15 , you want whoosh buy a real bov end of story, does a cone/intake amplify the sound of the dump valve? yes a little nothing major can you hear the turbo spool? some what yes well at least on one of the Audi's we have you can hear it but we can hear it with or without the cone nothing special.

And like the guy said why put in a cone to suck in a bunch of hot air? makes no sense..

Old 10-05-2012, 06:13 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Subarashī Kao
no its not worth $90 ill pay $15 , you want whoosh buy a real bov end of story, does a cone/intake amplify the sound of the dump valve? yes a little nothing major can you hear the turbo spool? some what yes well at least on one of the Audi's we have you can hear it but we can hear it with or without the cone nothing special.

And like the guy said why put in a cone to suck in a bunch of hot air? makes no sense..
That would be the point of the heatshield

Old 10-05-2012, 06:23 AM
2nd Gear

Would this mod work for my a4? VWVortex.com - Bullding a 60$ Ram Air Intake (Picture Heavy)

And guys I know a cold air won't do much but I love how it looks and sounds

Old 10-05-2012, 06:40 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Pbcrazy
That would be the point of the heatshield
Name:  d8b_zps28c51f78.png
Views: 355
Size:  217.0 KB

still why have a cone inside the bay at all? i always set them outside the bay that's the point of the "cAI". heat shield or no heat shield there is a reason the air duck from factory pulls air from the outside and is set to be outside, and even if you did use a heat shield etc etc still a pointless waste of money not worth $100 i rather buy injectors,fpr, or even a test pipe if i want gains you just wont see any gains if anything you might lose power and i seen this be confirm. just saying

Old 10-05-2012, 09:17 AM
2nd Gear

How do I set a cold air intake outside? Or is it not possible for my car?

Old 10-05-2012, 09:23 AM

None of those is a CAI, CAI means the filter better be in the fender or its going to get heat soak. To put it in the fender run piping where the stock airbox used to be to right behind the fog light. Pop a filter on.

Old 10-05-2012, 11:00 AM
Administrator

Since nobody has said it yet, I'll be "that guy."

I wouldn't recommend buying a heat shield from the BlinkTek guy. If you do a quick google search you'll find that he's screwed a lot of people over in the last year or so. He likes to take payments from people and then disappear for a while, then come back and threaten people who bring up how shady he is.

Old 10-05-2012, 02:59 PM
2nd Gear

Ok sounds like I'm not going with blink tek! Do any other brands make good ones?

Quick Reply: 1.8TQ Cold air intake and Blistek heatshield pros and cons?