B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

01 audi a4 1.8t maintenance question

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 09:34 PM
Default 01 audi a4 1.8t maintenance question

I bought my A4 3 months ago and ever since ive been reading about the car. My biggest concern is that the car did not come with the service records and i have no idea where the car was serviced. I found a pretty good deal on a timing belt http://www.mjmautohaus.com/catalog/p...oducts_id=2847

The clutch is at 168k and grabs well but i know soon it will need to be replaced soon. Is there anything else major that my car will need besides the clutch and timing belt?

Old 09-16-2009, 01:25 AM

Change all fluids, chack vacuum and all other hoses and start from there. That's where my journey began

Old 09-16-2009, 12:30 PM
3rd Gear

If you don't know when the TB was done do not delay, make sure to get the kit that comes with the water pump and tensioner, skip on the light weight pulley. Also check your suspension components, tie rods, control arms, ect.

Old 09-16-2009, 01:24 PM

I bought an '01 1.8TQM in April 2008 with 117,000 Kms (73,000 miles), and have been keeping track of everything I have done (or had done at the shop) for budgeting purposes. Below is the list in order of failure:

Essentials (Things that needed to be done)
- Front right wheel bearing
- Timing belt / tensioner / water pump
- Serpentine belt / tensioner
- Exhaust downpipe weld
- Both rear wheel bearings
- Crankshaft position sensor / engine speed sensor
- Front brakes/rotors
- Rear brakes/rotors
- Coolant temperature sensor
- Coolant flush
- Exhaust downpipe replacement
- Miscellaneous vaccuum lines
- Mass Airflow Sensor

Non-Essentials (Things I wanted to do)
- Boost Gauge
- Revo chip
- Diverter valve
- Leather seat repair
- OEM winter floor mats
- Bridgestone Potenza performance tires (already came with Dunlop Graspic snows)
- iPod AUX adapter (from CD changer port)

Still Planned
- Passenger side door trim replacement
- New skid plate (mine's falling apart)
- Rust removal (some slight rust bubbles appearing on the trunk, and on the driver's side door lower corner

Hope this gives you a general idea of what to look forward to! Still love the car, by the way. Don't regret a moment of it.

Old 09-16-2009, 01:43 PM
2nd Gear

how did you do leather seat repair?

Old 09-16-2009, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by flynnr
how did you do leather seat repair?
These guys:

http://www.fibrenew.com/usa-franchises

Did a great job repairing the crack in the drivers seat leather. Hardly noticeable.

Old 09-16-2009, 03:41 PM
3rd Gear

whenever i get a new car, even with records, i change out every single fluid just so that i know exactly when and with what it was changed. if your antifreeze is pink and clear you can probably skip that, as G12 lasts a very long time.

but i would flush: engine oil and filter, trans/center diff, rear diff, brake/clutch fluid, power steering fluid. that plus the timing belt should put your car in pretty good condition. while doing all that stuff you will be able to inspect everything else and find any other problems.

the clutch may or maynot be on its way out, these clutches engage very high so people think they are worn, but thats just how it is. the only indicator is slipping, if you are going 25mph and put the car in 4th or 5th and floor it, if it slips you will need a clutch soon. if it doesnt you are fine.

Old 09-16-2009, 08:32 PM

I have gotten the oil changed twice since i had it. The coolant did not look pink to me (which i can imagine is a bad thing). But are there any guides that people know of or even threads that show how to do the change the fluids since i already found a timing belt guide. Im new to cars so i have no idea where to start on a complicated car like an audi.

Old 09-17-2009, 12:53 AM
3rd Gear

audidiy.com

Old 09-17-2009, 02:09 AM
SoCal Crew Member

Originally Posted by ghost6303
audidiy.com
truth

that site has just about all the info you'll need

get a bently manual and between the two of those, you should be pretty well covered

Quick Reply: 01 audi a4 1.8t maintenance question