Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Would there be much interest in a Mantis style gauge pod?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 05:54 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Would there be much interest in a Mantis style gauge pod?

ORIGINAL: achTTung

The 'first draft' I made tonight was just a cardboard mockup. Looks like it'll be a little more involved than I'd like for production, but I'm going to go ahead anyway. It'd be totally sweet if I had a die and could stamp them as one piece, but it looks more like I'll be welding a total of 6 pieces to make one gauge pod. There will also need to be a bracket to attach it to the locations of the ashtray. Doubt there will be any welding there, but its still another part with some assembly.

If you end up having to weld each piece 6 times, your production costs and adding in your time are going to make this more expensive than the Mantis. Hopefully that's only on the prototype. As you know, I also manufacture a product, and every day I try and find better ways to cut down on production costs. Keep working on it and good luck. Did you get the pics I sent?
Was the original Mantis stamped as one piece? That's why it was so expensive and went away.

Old 05-06-2008, 07:08 AM
5th Gear

original mantis was machined from a solid piece.

These will most likely be a limited run, like the mantis was, so I'm not too concerned about my time. I can pretty much set the price where I want it, and do alright I think.

Old 05-06-2008, 01:39 PM
1st Gear

Ya know, I was sitting in my car the other day trying to come up with a solution for gauges in the car also and I found a location that I would like. Some of you may not like the idea but I think it would be pretty cool to mount the gauges right behind the sun visor some how. If something could be molded to where it looked factory it would be awesome. The reason why I like this idea is because it doesn't get in the way of anything else in the car such as the AC vent, or the ashtray, and you don't have to worry as much about matching the interior if you made an A-pillar pod. The only problem this poses that I can see is being able to see wires and etc through the windshield and also when the sun visor is down you wouldn't be able to see the gauges.

Old 05-06-2008, 05:17 PM
5th Gear

yeah, that may not be as widely accepted. I've heard a few complaints from taller guys that they have a hard time seeing stop lights w/o leaning forward pretty far. Gauges there would only make that worse. I'd like to see it done though, give it a shot.

Old 05-06-2008, 07:16 PM
1st Gear

If you can make one just like the mantis for 50.00 i will buy one tomorrow .... I dont know anyone that doesnt like them ....but what they charge is
ridiculous[/align]

Old 05-06-2008, 08:51 PM
5th Gear

nobodys making them, thats the thing. hell, mantis isn't even making them now.

I COULD make one just like the Mantis, gauges sticking straight out, and that'd be easy as hell. What I'm trying to do is more involved, and I really really hope it doesn't look weird when its done. Biggest issue with angling them is that you need to keep a flat face to mount them against, so I'm dealing with multiple surfaces. I dunno, hard to explain. You'll see when I get a pic I guess.

Old 05-13-2008, 11:21 PM

Hi ..
Any progres or pic . ??