Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Would there be much interest in a Mantis style gauge pod?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 11:23 PM
5th Gear
Default Would there be much interest in a Mantis style gauge pod?

The Mantis is expensive as hell, but I like the location, but not really that the gauges face straight out. I'd rather they were angled up toward the driver a little bit. Thinking about designing my own. If I can get something decent thrown together, how many would be interested in buying one?

It'd be for 52mm gauges, and I was thinking of etching the Audi rings into the spot between the gauges, where the mantis has those grooves machined.

This wouldn't be a machined block like the mantis, I'll probably cut a face with the jet, and weld the sides to the face. It'd be sanded smooth so you almost couldn't tell it was a weld joint most likely.

This is whats in my head at this point, a concept. Actual results may vary...

Any interest? Anything you'd like to add?

Old 05-03-2008, 11:51 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Would there be much interest in a Mantis style gauge pod?

No thanks.. have one. RS Designs... has "Coupe" etched into it...

Old 05-04-2008, 02:14 AM
2nd Gear

Why not skip the weld and just waterjet the whole thing?

Old 05-04-2008, 02:29 AM
2nd Gear

I think the mantis gaugemountlooks awesome and just "works" style-wise in the TT. The problem for me (like I'm some professional racer or something[&:]) is the location for viewing things like boost, A/F or oil.

If you are making them let me know, send me a pick of the install. I would buy one from you if the price was reasonable unlike the original mantis. No need for me to eat up anymore vents...I'm down to 3!

Old 05-04-2008, 06:50 AM
2nd Gear

I always liked the Mantis except for the price, location, and that it is unavailable. Installation in that location also eliminates the only aux plug, at least in the roadster. Other than that, I like it fine.

Old 05-04-2008, 10:16 AM
5th Gear

So, design concerns are
[ul][*]visibility[*]12v power loss[*]price[/ul]It'd still be in the same location obviously, but I think by angling the gauges towards your head, they'd be easier to see at a glance. Your best use would be for oil temp/voltage, something with a needle that doesn't move like crazy, so you'd have time to look at it when its easy to do so, not like trying to watch where your boost is spiking at. Something like that I'd probably want closer to the windshield.
I can try to incorporate a relo for the cig. lighter, but the cleanest thing you can do is install one of the flip out accessory plugs from a VW. I'll see if I can come up with anything though.

http://public.fotki.com/BlueTTop/mod..._power_supply/

I'd probably charge about $50? Tough to say at this point, not having a definate design, and not knowing how much work this is going to take to make a part thats clean enough for me to be willing to install in a TT.

How about an official a-pillar gauge pod? One designed for a TT? I have a number for an injection molding contract shop, and I'm probably going to call them Monday, and see what it'd take for a run of pods. No clue on pricing yet, need to discuss with the shop, and will most likely depend on the cost of tooling, and the size of the lot. I wouldn't be looking to make a ton of money off them, or if I do, I'd still let you guys get them as cheap as I could, and I'll ebay the rest. Have a feeling we're talking about 100+ pods, but I'll know for sure when I talk to them. If I have the option, I was thinking gray plastic, trying to match the headliner color, rather than black. I think it'd look nicer for those who don't want to finish it in upholstery.

XCLR8TT, do you have a link to that RS design pod of yours? I cant seem to find anything, is that still in production, or is that a limited run as well?

Old 05-04-2008, 11:26 AM
1st Gear

I kinda like the gauges towards the center of the car not sure about other people but if they made a 3 gauge pod that mounted on top of the dash kinda between the front vents and the defroster ventsand had a smooth design so it looked like it was supposed to be there I would definately get it

Old 05-04-2008, 12:26 PM
5th Gear

I feel the opposite, I think the lines of the dash are nice enough that I dont want to spoil it with clutter. I have 3 locations Im willing to put gauges. A-pillar, ash tray, and pulling the radio, and putting gauges there.

Most I'd be willing to do for the dash is a HUD, and have it cycle thru oil temp/pressure, boost, voltage...

Old 05-04-2008, 12:52 PM
1st Gear

I was kinda wondering how hard it would be to relocate the controls for the heated seats defroster and hazzards to another location like by the motion sensor trunk release and fuel door buttons and use those holes for gauges really I just wanted to take out the hazzard relay and make that button my nitrous activation I think to much when I'm bored

Old 05-04-2008, 01:54 PM
5th Gear

I don't have ESP, so I was thinking that blank should rightfully be a engine start button : )

Quick Reply: Would there be much interest in a Mantis style gauge pod?