Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

When do you run out of gas? Warning light, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 12:45 PM
1st Gear
Default When do you run out of gas? Warning light, etc.

So my fuel warning comes on at about 1/4 tank, 35mi left, well it gets to zero, and still shows over the red, and I found out yesterday that it was in the top of the red, and ran out of gas in downtown St.Paul, I had stopped at 3 Super Americas after midnight, and all do not have 24hr pay at the pump, so there I was stranded. I got picked up, and grabbed a 1 gal splash can, and got going where I was able to go back and fill up.

Where does your guage chime in at? Is this the begining problem of cluster issues or normal? Now I know I should rely on the miles remaining readout rather than the guage itself!

-Skip

Old 03-02-2008, 01:58 PM
Site Moderator
Default RE: When do you run out of gas? Warning light, etc.

Well it sounds like the fuel senders are working because it warned you about the fuel level issue while the gauge did not. I would say the gauge is having issues which is a common problem on the TT. If you have access to a VAG COM you can do a "gauge sweep" to all the dials and see if any of them stick. If you don't have one, www.ross-tech.com and buy one.

Old 03-02-2008, 02:11 PM
5th Gear

Turns out, I run out of gas at 275 city miles, or 430 highway miles.

my senders are messed up, so my gauge either pegs past full, or reads empty, 50/50 shot at where its gonna go every time i turn the car on. I just learned the city limit friday afternoon, I knew I was pretty low, and made a mental note to stop at a station after work. Well, it sputtered 50' before a gas station, and I had just enough time to get it into the lot. Had to roll it back to the pump though. : )

Old 03-02-2008, 05:49 PM
2nd Gear

Sounds like your cluster is bad. Mine does the same thing. I usually fill up with about 100 miles left on the display. Remember that the miles on the display are variables and changebased on your driving conditions. When the red warning light comes on, you have about a gal left.

It'll be around $1000 to fix it, otherwise just rely on the miles.