Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

What in the world is going on....

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 03:52 AM
1st Gear
Default What in the world is going on....

So, I am stumped as to why my car has this "fun" problem occuring ONLY on cold starts.
Before work today, I went out and started my car. It spins fine - But, once it catches, it acts like it's going to stall, I can hear the turbo suck in real fast, and almost like something is shutting. I have the Injen C.A.I. on so I can hear all of this very well. I can feel the engine shaking kinda rough (reminds me of my Camaro) and then it settles down.
No Check engine light...I don't own one of those VAG-com things (yet) lol soo I am stumped.
Here are my recent Mods/Changes - Injen C.A.I./ NGK Spark Plugs (OEM and Gap of .032) / Forge 007DV / Timing Belt / Water Pump / Thermostat / Tensioner / Revision "E" Coilpacks from ECStuning and that's all.

From what I can hear when driving the car, there is no boost leak, However, I notice weird suction sounds from the intake. Instead of a constant suction when going gentle or even whomping on it, there are some surges. At this moment my finger is pointing at the Forge DV not opening/shutting properly. Just ordered the AWE boost gauge and Gonna give the Baileys DV a shot as well...any ideas on where I should begin?

Gonna double check spark plugs and coil packs. Double check Diverter Valve as well...

any ideas - im open

Old 06-23-2007, 03:54 AM
Default RE: What in the world is going on....

possible coolant temp sensor as this is the key to cold starting

Old 06-23-2007, 04:03 AM
1st Gear

hmmm...you know something. That's incredibly funny you just said that...When I had went down to PA to get the car, the Check Engine light came on. Code P1114 I beleive came up and pointed to Coolant Temp Sensor as well as Post cat o2 Sensor I beleive? I'll have to dig up some part numbers for both the Coolant and o2 Sensor and see how it goes.

Old 06-23-2007, 04:07 AM

do the coolant temp sensor first because on a cold start if it dosnt kick in quick it will throw the O2 code because its not up to temp

Old 06-23-2007, 04:28 AM
1st Gear

ahhh man...You sir, are a Life saver. I will def give it a shot and hope it fixes the problem. tyvm!

Old 06-23-2007, 05:50 AM
3rd Gear

That sounds like its most likely your problem, try that and do eveything that you said you were going to do, get the boost gauge and the new DV and see if all that fixes everything. Good luck!

Old 06-23-2007, 11:59 AM
1st Gear

Dave, you RULE! It's easy to take this sort of advice for granted, but just think of the money and time and inconvenience that you saved just Anos with a simple post. Nothing beats hands-on experience!

Old 06-23-2007, 12:23 PM
3rd Gear

Isnt that what we are all here for, to learn, to teach and to help each other out! Man I love the VAG community better than other ricers, for example if some guy with a honda was having a problem all the other guys would laugh at him and wait for his car to die on him completely, watch him spend a bunch of money and go thru all sorts of headaches.

Old 06-23-2007, 02:51 PM
1st Gear

So, I went to ECStuning to locate where the Coolant Sensor was. It showed me these 2 pics

I found something Similiar to that piece, Following the Radiator hose back it comes to a plastic section with a 4 pin connector sticking out and a Green retainer clip holding it in. I pulled it out, coolant popped out, and so did, What I beleive to be the coolant sensor. Only problem is Mine doesnt match the "Black" OEM one which got replaced with the "Green" revised one. Nor the blue. The plugs Molex is kind of a dingy yellow.[sm=headbang.gif]
I'm gonna double check to make sure I pulled the right sensor...if some one has a 180tt quattro and has a pic of where it is located id greatly appreciate it. Im hoping im in the right area as the above picture states.

Old 06-23-2007, 02:55 PM
4th Gear

hmm, i have the same problem with the whole cold start... itll start but it like shakes rattles and roles if you know what i mean... its not smooth, it happens only once in a while and typically on cooler days... Huh, i have been stumped too but the coolant temp sensor sounds reasonable. ill give it a whirl.

Quick Reply: What in the world is going on....