Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

what should I offer?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2004, 02:39 PM
Default what should I offer?

A few years ago, I was travelling a LOT and decided to buy a Mercury Sable--just so I wouldn't have to rent all the time and the mileage reimbursement would pay for the car. Four months after I bought this thing, my company transferred me and I don't travel anymore.

I want a car that I love and I love the Audi TT - 3.2, automatic. Now, I've found what I want, but the dealer thinks I will pay full list. That sounds ridiculous to me -- but is it really what I have to do in order to get this car?

Old 02-19-2004, 04:42 PM
1st Gear

is it brand new or used?
what options are you getting?
what area are you from?

Old 02-19-2004, 05:15 PM

I want a new one; the only options that I want are the Bose audio and the heated front seats. I don't know enough about the tire differences to even want to consider them.

I live in St Paul. This particular dealer has MANY used TT's and is offering the TT demos at 5k off MSRP; however, they are all manual and most are the roadster, which probably doesn't sell as well here as elsewhere.

Edmunds is showing Invoice of $38,460 and MSRP of $42,520. I have called this dealership twice, test driven only once and am ready to buy. The most time the salesman spent was probably in locating the color I wanted. It's not like they've had to invest much in me as a buyer; I just hate that they want more than $4k margin.<edited><editID>AudiTTgirl</editID><editDate>38036.5949421296</editDate></edited>

Old 02-23-2004, 10:38 PM
1st Gear

lowball the dealer until ure at acceptable price, get a quote from a diff dealer

Old 09-01-2004, 01:22 AM
Default RE: what should I offer?

I was in the market for a TT and recently (within last 2 months) got several offers from dealers to sell a new floor 2004 model for 8-9% off MSRP. Since they are trying to clear out the 04s and get into the 05s, there are good deals to be had on the 2004 models.

I would fax or call around to dealers within 250 mile radius of your location and ask them to fax or email you the best they can do on a 2004 that meets your requirements. If they are not giving you this level if discount, there is room for you to negotiate. I was planning on paying cash so this also may be a factor. (This discount also takes into the account the depreciation factor of an 04 that has been sitting a year vs. a brand new 05.

Good luck and be firm and ready to walk away!

Old 09-04-2004, 04:53 AM
3rd Gear

Unfortunately, if you are a woman buyer, the salespeople tend to be tougher on you. They think they can talk some gobblety-gook and it will succor you into believing their story. Don't do it! Part of the problem is that you tipped your hand early - you let the dealer know exactly what you want. Now he can fool around with you and get you to go for what he wants because he knows how important the specific model, color and options are to you. If you play hard to get (don't let the guy know exactly what interests you), then you have it on him to try to sell you something - he will be forced to try to make you happy with what he's got.
Lastly, the 3.2 model is a bit hot right now. Their prices are a bit premium because of the new engine. If you can wait until the season gets colder and then try to make a deal at the end of the month (September 30th is good, but December 30th is a better day for buyers), then you will be talking with a salesman who is motivated to sell at the best price to you.

Old 09-04-2004, 05:03 AM
3rd Gear

By the way...
Welcome to the forum AudiTTgirl!

This is a great site. We keep the dialogue friendly and the attitude positive. The info is well received by all and we are here to help anyone with the need. I hope you find it to your liking as well.

If you're not familiar with this forum, please click the START HERE!link. There you will find a forum vocab list, an Audi forum terminology list and an Audi lexicon list. They should be very helpful to you if you're not familiar with the jargon.

Please feel free to ask any question, but double check the archives first. Many questions have been archived and, quite often, the answers are comprehensive.

Old 09-12-2004, 03:21 PM
1st Gear

I would find a frined that is a guy and go in there as your husband. And jsut try to get the price lower and lower. And if you have to walk out. And eirther come back after a few days or theyll call you.

Old 10-24-2004, 01:11 AM
4th Gear

shop around, see what else is out there. dont go with ur first one u see, look for better deals. (autotrader.com or cars.com)

Old 10-24-2004, 11:34 AM
1st Gear

I just bought a MY02 ALMS with 3500 miles for less than 29,000. Granted, it's a 225 Quattro, but there are good deals to be had out there if you look for them. It was the first car I looked at.

Quick Reply: what should I offer?