Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

What mileage should you change the timing belt?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 10:59 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: What mileage should you change the timing belt?

i changed my at 70 only because the water pump went bad but if it did not go bad i woukld have did it at 75. remember the better you take care of your car the longer its gonna last

Old 05-13-2008, 11:43 AM
1st Gear

Five years or 60,000.......... Really???

I just bought my 2001 225hp TT coupe with only 21k miles, a month ago. Do I really need to consider having the TB changed at this time?

Old 05-13-2008, 12:52 PM
2nd Gear

^ same question, she's a 2002 225CQ with 20.0XX on the odo.

Old 05-13-2008, 01:52 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: Morc

Five years or 60,000.......... Really???

I just bought my 2001 225hp TT coupe with only 21k miles, a month ago. Do I really need to consider having the TB changed at this time?
Timing belt replacement is based on mileage, not time. It is a good idea to check your timing belt from time to time. Warrantys are mileage or time. Very few maintenance items include time. I can only think of brake fluid.

Old 05-13-2008, 02:03 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: P1800toTT

Five years or 60,000. I'm having mine done next week at 30,000 miles. The car is eight years old.
This is misinformation and is the kind of answer that causes confusion.
We are all so tired of seeing this question, that no one noticed it. Replacement is based on mileage. It would be rediculous to think if I had the car in storage for several years, that the timing belt should be changed. It is easy enough to check the belt periodically for wear.

Old 05-13-2008, 06:39 PM
1st Gear

Whew! Thanks for clearing that up. I feel better now.

I suspected that was the case, which is why I was surprised by the statement that included TIME.
Tks again!

Old 05-13-2008, 06:52 PM
I'm make believe

ORIGINAL: beachchair

ORIGINAL: P1800toTT

Five years or 60,000. I'm having mine done next week at 30,000 miles. The car is eight years old.
This is misinformation and is the kind of answer that causes confusion.
We are all so tired of seeing this question, that no one noticed it. Replacement is based on mileage. It would be rediculous to think if I had the car in storage for several years, that the timing belt should be changed. It is easy enough to check the belt periodically for wear.
If its not stored well or parked outside and rarely driven the belt alone with other rubber parts like vac lines can rot. But like you said, its still should be checked before driven if its been sitting for a period of time.

Old 05-13-2008, 08:33 PM
2nd Gear

...It is easy enough to check the belt periodically for wear.
Actually, most of the timing belt failures are the result of failed tensioners. I'm not sure wear is an issue. The imminent failure may not be apparent.

Old 05-13-2008, 08:41 PM
I'm make believe

The 3 causes are the tensioner like you said and the others are blown water pump and skipping teeth. The tensioner slipping is probably about 1/2 the failures if not a little more with the other 2 splitting the rest of the TB issues.

The pump should have some tell tell signs before it causes massive damage and you can kind of check for a worn belt to prevent skipping teeth.

Old 05-13-2008, 08:48 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: JettaRedII

...It is easy enough to check the belt periodically for wear.
Actually, most of the timing belt failures are the result of failed tensioners. I'm not sure wear is an issue. The imminent failure may not be apparent.
Of course wear is an issue. Inspect belt for: Seperation - Chunking - Oil/Grease Contamination - Missing/Damaged cogs - Tension - Cracking - Wear on edges - Fraying. Tensioner should be inspected also.

Quick Reply: What mileage should you change the timing belt?