Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Want to lower my TT 3/4" or so

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 01:04 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Want to lower my TT 3/4" or so

I talked to Tire Rack this morning. They said that running stock shocks is debateable depending on the weight of the car. If it were a Focus or something like that, they would say its OK, but on a TT they said its up to me. The guy suggested a set of Eibach that lower it 1.1 in, that would be built more for comfort and may actually be better on my stock struts than the Hotchkis, even with a more aggressive drop. AND the Eibachs are in stock and cheaper than the Hotchkis springs.

Also got a recommendation from Tire Rackfor an installer close to me (Veldman's) that wants $400 for all four installed. Price is the same whether I add struts or not.

Also, they said a TB job for $600. Their parts included. What do you think about those prices? Seems low to me based on what others have posted up.

Old 04-04-2008, 01:07 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: AhDee_tt

ORIGINAL: .clipse

way to revive a 1 year old topic!

anyways i have H&R Reds (race set, 2" drop)on stock shocks and no kmac kit! bahaha
Now no one can yell at the new guy for not searching! Uh.. I am somewhat hijacking the thread though - oh well.

Thanks for the info. How is the ride vs stock?

Mobius97 Date 4/4/2008 9:17:56 AM
HR coilovers here.....no wheel gap at all but I do need some spacers to bring the wheel flush.
Hows the ride?

Anyone here with Vmaxx?

TIA
I'm pretty straight up and honest about stuff. At first I thought, wellyeah the ride is fine...but after not using the TT as a daily driver....it is a pretty stiff ride. Some of the freeways here in Seattle needs work. On some of the bad roads it literally feels like the car is rattling apart! Oh well..I just pretend it's a race car, LOL, and thats the way it is supposed to feel. On the average road yes you will feel more than the average bump but to me it is bareable because I only put maybe 10-20 miles on it, if that, a week.

Old 04-04-2008, 01:39 PM
1st Gear

^Nice... Thanks for the constructive criticism... I think I'm going to do it

Old 04-04-2008, 01:39 PM
SoCal Crew Member

ORIGINAL: taifighter

I talked to Tire Rack this morning. They said that running stock shocks is debateable depending on the weight of the car. If it were a Focus or something like that, they would say its OK, but on a TT they said its up to me. The guy suggested a set of Eibach that lower it 1.1 in, that would be built more for comfort and may actually be better on my stock struts than the Hotchkis, even with a more aggressive drop. AND the Eibachs are in stock and cheaper than the Hotchkis springs.

Also got a recommendation from Tire Rackfor an installer close to me (Veldman's) that wants $400 for all four installed. Price is the same whether I add struts or not.

Also, they said a TB job for $600. Their parts included. What do you think about those prices? Seems low to me based on what others have posted up.
damn. $400 installed? you could find a friend or a friendly person in your area from one of the many Audi/VW forums that is willing to do it for a cheaper price and you could just rent a spring compressor. the TB price is actually pretty good. i'd take it.

as for the ride on H&R's on stock shocks, i think the H&R's are pretty stiff, well the red set is... not too sure on the more mild drop on the blacks. but then again you gotta factor in your rims,the tire size +sidewall, what brand of tire, etc. all in all, i'm pleased even though it's a stiff ride. and that's what she said.

Old 04-04-2008, 01:50 PM
1st Gear

also, that $400 includes an alignment. it does seem a bit high, but when I dont do the work myself, I like to be reassured that it's guaranteed. and big stuff like suspension, bigger brakes, and the TB are things I would rather pay to have installed so I dont have problems in the end (based on past experiences with other cars)

but it may be worth looking into. I do know one guy who works at the Audi dealer who is pretty knowledgeable

Old 04-04-2008, 02:01 PM
I'm make believe

If you are going to drop the car, atleast get coilovers or struts with the springs. Keeping the stocks will be bad since they are already warn and will go somewhat fast. Do it right the first time, its always cheaper in the end

Old 04-04-2008, 02:18 PM
1st Gear

this thread caught my eye because of the cost factor being cheaper than I expected. I'm really torn on the idea of dropping it since winters here suck and its my DD. if I could get away with just springs then it'd weigh heavily on my decision, but I dont want to be driving around a POS like these Honda kids do around here with their DIY ghetto suspension setups. decisions, decisions.

Old 04-04-2008, 02:30 PM
1st Gear

This is why I bumped this thread... The VVMaxx Coilovers are cheap, and adjustable. I just want to make sure the ride is not horrible. Maybe you should look at them too..

Old 04-04-2008, 03:52 PM
4th Gear

Elitte has them (but just sold the car for an s4). The ride is good but softer than most coilovers/spings. If you want a stiffer ride, get something like bilsteins or konis.
elitte told me they rode pretty stiff... im thinkin about checkin them out. definitely though i would say it has to be an improvement from stock

Old 04-04-2008, 04:00 PM
I'm make believe

yeah, i got him mixed up with someone else. There are tons of vw gti's running them and they will be simular in comparison

Quick Reply: Want to lower my TT 3/4" or so